Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hughes reporting Olympic events for CBS 2 in NY

I'm with Fossi. I think it's cool. (Actually, Fossi, it would be neat to have Tara there as well!)

I am pretty sure the network will not throw Sarah in over her head. If she gets some experience and exposure in journalism, and if she likes it and wants more, good for her.

Mathman

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    There are perks that come with being the OGM, especially if you're a lady skater. Let her enjoy 'em while they're available to her--its not like she's totally incompetent for this simple job. Go, Sarah!!!!

Medalist
    I don't see anything unusual about this. Athletes and other celebirites are often chosen to report not for their reporting skills but because the station hopes that people will watch the show because they recognize the reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gipson
    I don't see anything unusual about this. Athletes and other celebirites are often chosen to report not for their reporting skills but because the station hopes that people will watch the show because they recognize the reporters.
    I do see something wrong with it and this is not a bash for Sarah. There are many journalist students who would love to get that kind of a break. I would change the last word in your paragraph from reporters to celebritites. And yes, there is the question of the networks getting higher ratings, but there are summer sports fans, too who probably wonder who is that woman : reading what someone else wrote?

Joe

Medalist
    Joe, feel free to change the last word to celebrities I hope you didn't think that I think it's fair. It's just so common to choose a celebrity over an unknown journalist student. If it means more people tune in to see how well (or how badly) they speak then they probably think it's worth it. But I figured they also chose Sarah because she is from around the area (I think) and because she was one of the more famous medalists from the last Olympics. Plus, I'm sure they'll remind everyone that she is an Olympic champion when introducing her so I guess they think it's close enough...

Down With It
    Apparently someone over at SashaFans claims that Hughes originally was going to broadcast for NBC but they dumped her, so the local CBS station gave her the spot.

The thread is here:

http://www.sashafans.com/forum/showt...651#post139651

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    That sounds like someone from Sasha's fan club still has sour grapes from SLC

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxgirl
    That sounds like someone from Sasha's fan club still has sour grapes from SLC
    I think this guy is actually a writer or editor for some online newspaper (in other words, he has ties to the media) so I think I will put some stock into what he's saying. I don't think it is just a case of "sour grapes".

Custom Title
    Is this "reporter" for real? Isn't this the same poster that says Sasha will be skating with scarves in her LP? Isn't this the same poster saying Michelle is doing Bolero? And Sasha is either doing Turnadot or Salome?
    I'm sorry. I just don't believe every poster out there that says they have some "insider" information and nothing to back it up with. Besides, most posters at Sashafans are about 13 years old. Nothing wrong with that, but I doubt a 13 year old is a reporter.
    Why would NBC fire Hughes?

Down With It
    Is this "reporter" for real? Isn't this the same poster that says Sasha will be skating with scarves in her LP? Isn't this the same poster saying Michelle is doing Bolero? And Sasha is either doing Turnadot or Salome?
    I was not aware that he said these things; if he did, I missed it.

I'm sorry. I just don't believe every poster out there that says they have some "insider" information and nothing to back it up with. Besides, most posters at Sashafans are about 13 years old. Nothing wrong with that, but I doubt a 13 year old is a reporter.
    Yes, a lot of the people that post there are young. But that doesn't mean that EVERYBODY is. I agree that it's possible that that may not be so, but I can't see why he would post that JUST for the purpose of "bashing Sarah". It just doesn't make sense to me.

IIRC he has posted links to articles he's written so I really don't think it's a "13 year old" trying to play a "reporter".

Why would NBC fire Hughes?
    According to him:

"No The number of press creditials was again reduced. NBC was going to have 99 reporters. That was reduced. Hughes got cut. (They may actually have commentary not at the sites but in another studio). They are down to 50 or so. So CBS had an opening and gave it to Hughes.
    Some countries will not be in these Olympics because the tournament teams have been reduced. That will free up a few credentials, but not much. That's probably how CBS got Hughes in. Bought a creditial from another press outlet.
    (Every reporter is required to have a background check. Hughes obviously had her's done.)

For the newspapers the creditials are again reduced to just News organizations. So for example the New York Daily News will get their info via their parent corporation The Chicago Tribune Organization. Most papers will now use the AP and UPI. I just hope they don't do this in Italy."

Custom Title
    I'm "Gifted but Modest" (hint-hint) on FSU
    A number of people could tell you a few stories about good old Gary ("elgar...). And no, he's definitely not a professional writer.

Anyway, if he's correct they "dumped" a lot of people due to credential problems. Shrug.
    Last edited by NorthernLite; 08-11-2004 at 04:24 PM.

Who cares if her delivery is stiff. She's eye candy, and that's all that matters. :D

Custom Title

Eye Candy

Sarah Hughes? Eye Candy? Not saying that the lady isn't lovely, just not what would be considered classic beauty. Well, if you like lookin at her, knock your eyes out.
    Linny

Look at any of the former swimming ladies for eye candy who would know what they are talking about and that goes for the former Track and Field ladies, too.

Should we give Amanda Beard a crack at commentating on Senior Ladies at the 2005 Olys?

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 08-12-2004 at 06:21 AM.

Custom Title
    Again, REPORTING and COMMENTATING are two different things. If an athlete has good enunciation and communication skills, then there's no reason why he/she shouldn't nab an on-camera job.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast