Now That's a Tango! | Golden Skate

Now That's a Tango!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was looking for a particular song from the show "Chicago" and remembered Bourne and Kraatz skating to this music - "Cell Block Tango" from the musical "Chicago" It was their OD program 2001-02 Grand Prix final; It's one of their best programs ever and probably the best tango ever done on skates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EWG4HpTFo

:points:

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow that was totally awesome! Loved Shae-Lynn's commitment to the tango face! And they certainly had the moves! I love a good tango!

But OMG, is that a young Morozov there? It is! I'm saddened that we didn't get any voodoo-ing from the boards (or maybe he didn't do that back then...)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was looking for a particular song from the show "Chicago" and remembered Bourne and Kraatz skating to this music - "Cell Block Tango" from the musical "Chicago" It was their OD program 2001-02 Grand Prix final; It's one of their best programs ever and probably the best tango ever done on skates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EWG4HpTFo

:points:

They were divine and when I saw them in Nagano doing Riverdance I did not understand why they were not the winners or on the podium. Ice dance was so corrupt in those days that noNorthamerican team got their due. Fab-u-Lous!!!!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Thank you for posting, that's the kind of program I really really love: perfectly timed to the music and with lots of facial expressions! The first half looks more a Flamenco than a Tango to me though...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Wow that was totally awesome! Loved Shae-Lynn's commitment to the tango face! And they certainly had the moves! I love a good tango!

But OMG, is that a young Morozov there? It is! I'm saddened that we didn't get any voodoo-ing from the boards (or maybe he didn't do that back then...)

Shae-Lynn was his first wife..... or Navka? :scratch2:

Shae-Lynn was his first wife..... or Navka? :scratch2:

According to Wikipedia, Morozov's first wife was French ice dancer Caroline Douarin. Shae-Lynn was his second.

Morozov skated with Navka for Belarus (he is Russian, she Ukrainian), but I don't know that they were ever romantically involved. Navka's first husband was Alexander Zhulin.

Back to the Tangos. Does anyone like Lambiel's Poeta -- or was that a Flamenco?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
They were divine and when I saw them in Nagano doing Riverdance I did not understand why they were not the winners or on the podium. Ice dance was so corrupt in those days that noNorthamerican team got their due. Fab-u-Lous!!!!

In the FD, I personally would have ranked it: 1. Grishuk/Platov; 2. Anissina/Peizerat; 3. Punsalan/Swallow; 4. Krylova/Ovysiannikov; 5. Bourne/Kraatz. I also thought B/K were a bit held up in the OD as well as the material was technically weak for a team of that calibre (and compared to other teams), and had A/P skated their OD like they did at Worlds I would have had A/P first in that portion as I think they had better content and concept than G/P's lame OD.

As for the Cell Block Tango, I love it in the musical Chicago, but for the Spanish rhythm OD and the way it was choreographed and skated with the lack of Spanish flavor, bad posture, and hydroblading to fill up the choreography...well, I wasn't a fan of it.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
According to Wikipedia, Morozov's first wife was French ice dancer Caroline Douarin. Shae-Lynn was his second.

Morozov skated with Navka for Belarus (he is Russian, she Ukrainian), but I don't know that they were ever romantically involved. Navka's first husband was Alexander Zhulin.

Thank you. :)

Weathergal

Medalist

Back to the Tangos. Does anyone like Lambiel's Poeta -- or was that a Flamenco?

I love Lambiel's "Poeta." It's one of my favorite programs of his. I believe I remember commentators saying he worked with a flamenco dancer on the choreography so perhaps it's a flamenco?