Poutine - A French Canadian Treat - Ever Try It? | Golden Skate

Poutine - A French Canadian Treat - Ever Try It?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hmm....what exactly are cheese curds and what kind of gravy is it? Is this similar to chile cheese fries?

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

If you aren't worried about the calories, give it a try, its incredible! In fact, my daughter and I shared a dish tonight after skating, lol!

Most places don't use cheese curds, but rather shredded mozzarella, and the gravy is usually just beef gravy. It is a very fattening, very delicious treat!

Canuck

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I though poutine was everywhere. I used to like it when I was a kid, but now I am anti-gravy and don't eat it. When we made it at home, it was just fries, gravy and shredded mozzo cheese. So baaaaad for you.

Antilles

Medalist
Curds aren't like cottage cheese. They're really different from any other cheese. They take an amazing amount of milk to make, and certainly aren't good for you. However, they taste fabulous! Very salty. You haven't had a real putine unless it's made with curds. It's hard to get that outside of Quebec and Eastern Ontario, though. I'm a vegetarian, so I certainly don't eat poutine anymore.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Antilles said:
Curds aren't like cottage cheese. They're really different from any other cheese. They take an amazing amount of milk to make, and certainly aren't good for you. However, they taste fabulous! Very salty. You haven't had a real putine unless it's made with curds. It's hard to get that outside of Quebec and Eastern Ontario, though. I'm a vegetarian, so I certainly don't eat poutine anymore.

Antililles:

Quite true! I stayed in Quebec for about three months and Poutine was everywhere - I even think McDonalds had some sort of version. Anyway, though I had the opportunity to indulge in this local treat, I never did. However, I did get to a "sugaring off " party and partook of some mighty delicious fresh maple syrup!

starshinexavier

On the Ice
I've tried it and LOOOVE it! New York Fries makes pretty good poutine, as does Harveys. And I do agree with Antilles about the cheese curds making it better. Mmmmmmm..............poutine! :p