Canadian Idol - Losing Interest | Golden Skate

Canadian Idol - Losing Interest

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I suffered through the Rock and Roll episdoe - Oh brother, talk about lame singing! None of them really carried it off.

I hear Josh got eliminated tonight - he was awful, but I think Elena should have been the one to go first. I can't believe how she hangs on. She is terrible.

I might tune in next week. Just out of curiosity.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Wow , and I was for the most part impressed with this episode, save for Josh and Theresa (who happens to be one of my favourites)

Shane - an absolutely amazing rendition of a very difficult song. From all indications, you are not much for modern music, but truly, that was an incredible performance.

Jacob, regardless that I think he is one of the most bizarre I have ever seen was amazing - and I am not a fan of his.

Kalan - wasn't the best I have heard from him, but that was a tough choice and I thought he handled it well.

Theresa - Joplin really was a poor choice for her, far from her best.

Elana - Incredible - Again, I was not a fan, but this girl is actually starting to win me over. She feels it and she isn't afraid to put herself out there

Jason - ok, not great, just ok. Its his dimples that keep him safe

Kaleb - again, not a fan but that was the most ingenious rendition of a much overdone song, imo.

I figured that Josh was going, and was correct, thank goodness. I believe he is by far the weakest of all of them.

My prediction is to see Kalan and Jacob in the top 2. Theresa will stick around for a bit, and I think Kaleb will make it to top 4. Other than that, I am clueless. I was shocked to see Shane in the bottom 3 tonight, and as much as I think he in amazing, his days are numbered.

Canuck

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I am really impressed by this group. But I had BIG problems with some of the judges comments. I felt they were waaay too harsh with some (Elena and Kalan) I also didn't understand the love in that continues over Kaleb. I like Elena. I think she will sound good no matter what kind of theme there is and I really liked her bluesy rock this week. I was ultra annoyed by Zack's comment that she is too young to have ever had the blues. WHATEVER ZACK! And then Kaleb comes up and its all about, "his soul." BARF!

I was hoping it would be Shane's week to go. His song was horrible. Sure, he took a chance, but he did a song exactly the way the original went and there was very little of Shane in there. Since the judges got me thinking about soul, I found very little soul soul in that preformance. It was just a cheap rip off. Did you notice his air guitar?

Theresa, not her week. But I'm glad the overall quality of her singing carries her through. She just needs to get in the groove.

Kalan continues to ROCK MY WORLD! I love him and loved his rendition of "Paint it Black."

I did agree with the judges comments about Jason. These were the only comments I agreed with. I think it would be great if he tackled a song like the one Josh did, Iris by the Googoo Dolls. Its rocky, but softer. Jason really needs to show us a different side.

As for Jacob, I"m not a fan, but I know hes going far in this show. Didn't like his version Lifehouse's Everything. I loved the original. This one, not so much.

Sorry to see Josh go, thought it should be Shane. I was touched by the reactions of all the other idols. Theresa turned away from the camera at the end. I could tell she was crying heavily. And when Jason hugged Josh, awwwwwww, brought a tear to my eye. Bye Josh, we wil miss you and your cute hair.

Last edited:

mike79

On the Ice
Josh-I'm so happy to see him go. I don't care what the judges said, his singing was beyond horrid this week. It wouldn't have even gotten him into the top 32 on American Idol.

Theresa really needs to step up her game. She has to realize that you need to pick a song that suits your own voice, not just a song you happen to like.

Shane did well this week, but it was just him doing a karaoke version of The Darkness. There was no attempt to add anything to it.

Elena did not deserve the comments she got as she was one of the best of the night.

Kalan bored me. He has now sung three songs the EXACT same way. One-trick pony? I hope not. All he has done is prove to me that he knows about good music.

Kaleb was very good. He didn't do his usual runs so his notes were actually clear this week.

Jason needs to go. Now.

Jacob cannot sing well, however, he can sell a song like no one else on this show. His voice cracked in at least 2 or 3 places throughout the song. What I find interesting about him is that the natural tone of his voice is very similar to Raine Maida from Our Lady Peace.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
sk8tngcanuck said:
Wow , and I was for the most part impressed with this episode, save for Josh and Theresa (who happens to be one of my favourites)

Shane - an absolutely amazing rendition of a very difficult song. From all indications, you are not much for modern music, but truly, that was an incredible performance.

Jacob, regardless that I think he is one of the most bizarre I have ever seen was amazing - and I am not a fan of his.

Kalan - wasn't the best I have heard from him, but that was a tough choice and I thought he handled it well.

Theresa - Joplin really was a poor choice for her, far from her best.

Elana - Incredible - Again, I was not a fan, but this girl is actually starting to win me over. She feels it and she isn't afraid to put herself out there

Jason - ok, not great, just ok. Its his dimples that keep him safe

Kaleb - again, not a fan but that was the most ingenious rendition of a much overdone song, imo.

I figured that Josh was going, and was correct, thank goodness. I believe he is by far the weakest of all of them.

My prediction is to see Kalan and Jacob in the top 2. Theresa will stick around for a bit, and I think Kaleb will make it to top 4. Other than that, I am clueless. I was shocked to see Shane in the bottom 3 tonight, and as much as I think he in amazing, his days are numbered.

Canuck

sk8tngcanuck:

Oh boy, I must sound old! No, of course I love rock n' roll - I am very much a 60's child - I grew up on the Beatles. I did think Shane did a great job, but keep in mind rock n' roll is very hard to perform and without a group it kind of loses the real rock n' roll sound. Part of the problem with this group - singing solo. Kalen, for instance attempting to sing "Paint it Black" a Rolling Stones tune. He was trying too hard and did not "get it."

Kaleb - was that the black fellow? His renditon of a classic Elvis tune - was about the best, I guess of the bunch. It still does not make me a fan. He was a little "stilted" - needed to put in some hip action - a little Elvis to make it real rock n' roll.

These singers all have different styles and suit different material. Rock n' Roll is not easy to perform.

It will be interesting to see how they come across with Gordon Lightfoot material.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Mike:

"Elena did not deserve the comments she got as she was one of the best of the night." huh?

I guess I don't "get" Elena. The judges called that one right. That was terrible. There was no feeling - the blues are all about feeling. Furthermore, it was supposed to be Rock n' Roll night, not Blues night. Elena and Theresa both picked the wrong genre to qualify as Rock n' Roll. I'm sorry, but Elena just makes me want to pick up my remote and change the channel. Horrible is the only adjective I can keep on generating here.

Theresa - Well, pretty hard to sell a Janis Joplin signature tune. She would be too young to even be familiar with Joplin's raspy voice. Theresa reminds me too much of Nana Mouskuri - with the glasses. She should try singing one of Nana's songs. I am sure she could carry that off.

So on goes the challenge. I wonder who will be left standing? I have a feeling the judges are leaning heavily to Kaleb - seem to like his wavery voice. But then is it not the public who decides the winner? I am beginning to wonder what the judges are really there for.

I hope next weeks show is better.

guinevere

Final Flight
I've just been checking a couple of recaps, as I live in the US and don't have any Canadian stations (in fact, I no longer can get FOX - don't know what I'll do when AI starts again). All I can say is why can't the US have such cool themes?. British Invasion, Rock n' Roll..... we get stuck with our idol wannabes singing Gloria Estefan. Hrmph!

I'm still waiting for New Wave night, myself. :D

guinevere

mike79

On the Ice
The only reason I said that is because she was better than a lot of the people who got better comments from the judges: Josh, Jason(even though he didn't get good comments), Theresa, Kalan(sorry, he needs to change it up), and Jacob(his voice was not good the other night). Only Kaleb and Shane performed as well as her.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
themes

guinevere,

not all themes are that cool. next week is lionel ritchie night (i know i must be spelling his name wrong) i have i feeling it will be like Gloria Estefan on A.I. BARF!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Kara Bear said:
guinevere,

not all themes are that cool. next week is lionel ritchie night (i know i must be spelling his name wrong) i have i feeling it will be like Gloria Estefan on A.I. BARF!

No doubt!!!!

guinevere

Final Flight
Oh, I don't know - I'd MUCH rather have Lionel Ritchie night (ps you spelled it right!) than Gloria Estefan night - or especially Diane Warren night :eek: Lionel Ritchie was a guest judge in AI Season 2, BTW, and was the best guest judge ever - he actually took the 'critique' portion seriously!

Just as long as his daughter Nicole doesn't get to be on the show! :laugh:

guinevere

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Yah if it were Nicole Ritchie judging the idols, all she'd probably say is: "Thats hot."

:)

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Actually you are almost right it's, Lionel Richie. I think the gang may do better with this category. At least that is my hope. His songs should not be too difficult to handle.