Biggest Figure Skating Cities/Regions? | Golden Skate

Biggest Figure Skating Cities/Regions?

I'm doing a little research for a business proposal for one of my classes in graduate school. The business proposal that I have is a one-stop shop for music cuts, original music, and costume design/construction. I go to school in Toronto, which is of course a huge skating city with a big market for skating costumes and music, but I'm trying to see if there are any potential markets that are even bigger.

I know that the SoCal area has a lot of skaters, as does the Detroit area, Boston, and places in Japan like Nagoya and Kansai University, but outside of Canada, the US, and Japan, my knowledge on skating communities is pretty sparse.

So my question to all you knowledgeable people is, are there any other areas around the world with market potential in music and costuming that I should be paying attention to as I formulate my business plan?

blackey

On the Ice
Harbin in China. I think it's the biggest skating city in China? and Beijing as well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am guessing Moscow???

In Canada, Vancouver (lots of younger skaters) Montreal (both pairs and dance schools with elite athletes).

But yeah, Harbin and Beijing would be great picks for your paper.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Many of Chinese skaters indeed come from Harbin, one of the coldest cities in China, but once they become elite skaters, a lot of them move to Beijing to train.

As for Russia, St. Petersburg and Moscow are two main hubs for figure skating.

I'm not sure about Boston. Many skaters train in Colorado Springs, Chicago, New Jersey and California areas.

Single and pair skaters train in Paris while Lyon is a hub for ice dance.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Moscow i think it's the city with more sports facilities in general, not just ice rinks.

Definitely the biggest city for figure skating, since most of the top russian skaters are born in Moscow and trains there.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Mosocw and St. Peterburg. St. Peterburg has long tradition with many champions but Moscow is more important now.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I read interview with Mariusz Siudek recently and he said that, when he was training in Montreal, there were 200 ice rinks. I don't know how true it is and surely not all are used by Figure Skaters, but sounds like a quite big market. Especially recently since Montreal become a hot place, at least for Ice Dancers. Other than that I would guess that Moscow is pretty loaded with Figure Skaters of all ages :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Are you looking for a high concentration of elite competitors, or a high concentration of skaters at all levels who might use skating costumes and music at all skill levels? Sometimes they go together, but not always.

lyndichee

Medalist
I would recommend on the business side to concentrate on Canadian or American markets. Russia and China have state-sponsored programs by the government and might be "harder" to enter.

Also China comes to Canada for programs and sometimes training, so focusing on the local market in Toronto would probably be best as you would have a more diverse clientele. In addition, lots of skaters come to the Toronto area for training (Yuzuru, Javier etc.).