Sasha Cohen journal update | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen journal update

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Sasha has updated her journal on her official website, www.sashacohen.com aparently both her programs are choreographed and the costumes are already being worked on... still hasnt anouced what her new programs will be!!! I cant wait.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Liz for the update. I just hope that one of her programs is upbeat and lively. I like seeing her fire!!!

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
It has been updated again (8-12-04) and for those who are interested, she says she'll announce her songs next week.

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
It has been updated again (8-12-04) and for those who are interested, she says she'll announce her songs next week.

YAY! I can't wait to see Sasha at Skate America either. This should be fun. :)

bronxgirl

Medalist
All this talk about "when" a skater will anounce his/her music selection reminds me of when women get a "promissory" ring from a man. Either you're engaged, so why not get the engagment ring, or not, so why not just call it a gift. (a nice gift to be sure,) but it's not the engagement ring either. Just announce the music - unless you think someone will steal your music, your composer and routine :rolleye: :laugh:

Bronxgirl, I think it would be more fun to make a contest out of it. Each week you post a little hint, like "18th century Italian composer." You could have a section on your website where people could guess. :)

MM

bronxgirl

Medalist
I like that idea - let's see, a)20th century team best known for (fill in the blank)
b) 18th century French composer
c) 17th century Austrian Baroque

There had to be some way to use History of Music from colllege as a practicum! :laugh:

Mathman - "Name that Tune"! I am sure Sasha will use a standard skating piece, although I am not so sure about Robin. Most of Sarah's music was standard, but I don't think La Bayadere was ever used or hardly ever used. It was (an is) a classic ballet piece.

If Sasha who seems to avoid neo classical music such as R&J by Prokofiev, or the many lyrical Debussy pieces would give them a try, I would really get interested. Think Janet Lynn and Ilia Klimkin. They were pure drama lyrical with L'Apres mid d'un Faun. There are other haunting lyrical Debussy pieces.

Joe

NorthernLite

On the Ice
No major skater had ever used Daphnis before Sarah. And Serenade fur Klara was also another interesting choice. (As was Fossi for that matter - it predated everyone else jumping on the Chicago bandwagon.)
Even though Sarah was young, Robin still tried to experiment with music a bit.
It'd be nice to see a skater who's at an even more mature age, and supposedly as musical as Sasha, try something different.

I agree, Joe and Northern Lite. I'm not an expert, but as Sasha continues to gain artistic maturity, I would love to see this reflected in her choice of music.

Mathman

Thanks Red Dog - Sasha stays with the tried and true. Dark Eyes will be a good replacement for Malaguena. Like Malaguena, Dark Eyes has many renditions. Didn't a Russian dance team skate to one a few years ago?

Nutcracker pas de deux. Lots of schmaltzy music. It will be difficult not to think of Shen and Zhao.

Nothing unusual here but with Morozov and Zueva we just might have two big hits. I'm looking forward to this.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
Thanks Red Dog - Sasha stays with the tried and true. Dark Eyes will be a good replacement for Malaguena. Like Malaguena, Dark Eyes has many renditions. Didn't a Russian dance team skate to one a few years ago?

Nutcracker pas de deux. Lots of schmaltzy music. It will be difficult not to think of Shen and Zhao.

Nothing unusual here but with Morozov and Zueva we just might have two big hits. I'm looking forward to this.

Joe

I´ll agree with Joe and will be very much looking forward to Sasha´s both programmes!!! Well selected for Moscow...

euterpe

Medalist
I think the Nutcracker 'Pas de Duex' is a fine piece for PAIRS, but not for a single skater. For Pairs, the music, with so many emotional buildups to a crescendo, is well suited to dramatic throws and lifts. For a single skater whose 'dramatic' moments are jumps and maybe the spiral, there are too many crescendos. If jumps are perfectly timed to the crescendos, fine, but if the skater has a fall or a misstep, it will be very obvious when the music and the choreography are out of sync.

Sasha seems to do this every year: use a piece of music another skater or team used last year (Shen/Zhao).

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Thank GOD...

that there are some awesome choreographers on the job! As I remember discussing with Joe, warhorses and Sasha do well together--looking forward to seeing the programs, Sasha's and everyone else's; it's all very exciting, this business of unveiling new programs!

Cheers,
Sarah

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Dark Eyes

Joe,
last time I remember hearing it in elite competition, it was Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze who were skating to it at Nagano 98. Maybe that's who you mean, or maybe there was a dance team who used it after that, but I don't follow dance anywhere near as closely as the other disciplines (especially in the post Anissina/Peizirat era), so I can't really say.

Cheers,
Sarah

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shen and Zhao's Nutcracker Pas de Deux was a masterpiece. Their performance was romantic and dramatic because they played off each other so well, and the piece had great emotional impact.

Sorry, but I don't see how any single skater could ever even come close to what the Chinese were able to give to the audience. And their performance is still fresh in everyone's mind.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
chuckm said:
Shen and Zhao's Nutcracker Pas de Deux was a masterpiece. Their performance was romantic and dramatic because they played off each other so well, and the piece had great emotional impact.

Sorry, but I don't see how any single skater could ever even come close to what the Chinese were able to give to the audience. And their performance is still fresh in everyone's mind.
ITA, but I guess we each see different things.

As soon as I hear the opening cords of Malequena my mind shouts "Kristi!" and Swan Lake will always belong to Oksana to me, I don't know why anyone would even tackle it, even with a 10 year space, but, as we all saw last season, the Sasha praise was non stop.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
chuckm said:

I thought that Shizuka Arakawa did a really wonderful interpretation of Turandot, and in previous season Shen & Zhao did that.

Marjaana