Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sasha Cohen journal update

Custom Title
    Sasha's SP choices are starting to concern me. It seems her strategy is to skate to programs she already skated to before and feels comfortable with. If she skates to programs she already knows like the back of her hand, she won't make as many mistakes. This shows me that she needs this in order to skate a clean SP, rather than something new and exciting.
    I hope she didn't pick her music to please the Russians. She is, afterall, an American citizen. Sarah never picked music to "please" Canada. Sarah won her fans over on talent alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    . Michelle Kwan was harshly criticized for doing the "same old, same old", so we will see if this happens to Sasha..
    I remember one slavic judge (MK and IS were in the same competition) said very clearly on TV that she marked MK down because she had used the same music before. The judge was correct about using the music a second time, but is that a reason to mark down a skater?

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi
    Sasha's SP choices are starting to concern me. It seems her strategy is to skate to programs she already skated to before and feels comfortable with. If she skates to programs she already knows like the back of her hand, she won't make as many mistakes. This shows me that she needs this in order to skate a clean SP, rather than something new and exciting.
    I hope she didn't pick her music to please the Russians. She is, afterall, an American citizen. Sarah never picked music to "please" Canada. Sarah won her fans over on talent alone.
    She skates to the same song, but her SP is brand new one, created by a different choreographer (Morozov). Considering, that Sasha used "Dark Eyes" for her LP, she'll have different music cuts, and most likely, a different instrumental version of the song. "Dark eyes" is pretty much a Russian "Malaguena," so don't worry, it will be fiery and exciting.

And what is wrong with wanting to please Russian audience? What does a choice of music have to do with Cohen's citizenship, or with Sarah Hughes?

Sarah quit skating for good, and Ms. Wagner now coaches Cohen. Get over it already.

Custom Title
    Somewhat predictable choices....but I must say I think these two selections will work very well for her. She can usually make the most of any musical choice. I'm much more interested in seeing Sasha's LP choreography. Will the new choreographer's style suit her?

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Why shouldn't Sasha do Russian music? It IS her heritage. Maybe she's only trying to please Mom!

Custom Title
    Well, technically speaking, "Dark Eyes" is a Russian gypsy song or more politically correct, a Roma melody. They speak a different language, but the Ochi Chernye variation is sung in Russian. It is very popular in Russia, and I am sure in other former Soviet republics. The correct translation is Black eyes actually.

As far as the scarf, when dancing to this song, Roma ladies wear it on the shoulders, not on their hair!

I am looking forward to the costume! I think it will be a great program. I wonder if she would dye her hair dark or add some flowers to her hair?

I don't see anything wrong with Sasha possibly choosing this music to "please the Russian audience". What's wrong with that??? Isn't pleasing the audience a big part of the sport (aka presentation??). How about European and European-born skaters picking American music all the time? (most recent: L&A in DC)

Yana

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    Well, technically speaking, "Dark Eyes" is a Russian gypsy song or more politically correct, a Roma melody. They speak a different language, but the Ochi Chernye variation is sung in Russian. It is very popular in Russia, and I am sure in other former Soviet republics. The correct translation is Black eyes actually.
    Yana
    Well, Finland has not been part of former Soviet republics (although a part of Russia as an autonome state until 1917 in about the same way as earlier a part of Sweden), and here old Russian melodies have been very popular and near to our souls always. "Dark Eyes", "Kalinka", etc. BTW, anyone remember the very popular song "Those Were The Days" sung by Mirian Hopkin from early sixties? Also that was orginally a Russian folk melody.

Marjaana

Custom Title
    Kalinka is always played in NA stadiums during hockey games and even sometimes at baseball games! That I don't understand! It must've been brought over by early Russian immigrants.

Yana

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I’m going to be skating to "Dark Eyes", a type of Russian gypsy song that I really like. Some of you may remember I had it for a short program for the 2000-2001 season but didn’t get to use it much.

Dee

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    Thanks Red Dog, I appreciate you answering me. Sorry, sometimes I don't always get a chance to read everything because I'm at work so that's why I appreciate you giving me an answer.

Dee
    No problem at all . Also, it's been pointed out that there appears to be a mistake on Sasha's part (that Dark Eyes was her LP, not her SP); it actually says so on her site under her list of programs.

Down With It
    On her site:

Sasha's new programs

August 19, 2004

Sasha Cohen has announced two new competitive programs and two new choreographers for the 2004-2005 season.

Sasha will skate to “Dark Eyes” choreographed by Nikoli Morosov for her short program.

The free skate will be performed to The Nutcracker’s "Pas de Deux" and is choreographed by Marina Zueva and Igor Shpilband.

Sasha was scheduled to perform “Dark Eyes” during the 2000-2001 season but an injury kept her off the ice and she later changed programs.

“I’ve always loved the music when it was first choreographed and enjoyed it so much I wanted to perform it during a full senior competitive season,” Sasha said.

Ten seconds have been added to the short program, with a maximum duration of two minutes and fifty seconds. “I like the extra ten seconds to help get more moves and connecting steps into the elements. And I want to stay on the ice as long as possible,” Sasha said with a smile.

Zueva and Shpilband combined to choreograph the free skate to “Pas de Deux”. Zueva choreographed the program and Shpilband the footwork.

Shpilband and Zueva have been working together as a choreography team the past several years. Both work at the Artic Ice Arena in Canton, Michigan. Shpilband’s teams have collected more than 20 national titles in the past 13 years.

Zueva is best known as choreographer for two-time pairs gold medalists Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov.

It’s the first time Sasha has had programs choreographed by Zueva and Shpilband.
    “The first time I did my first run-through, I thought, ‘Wow’’’, Sasha said. “When we put all the pieces together it turned out wonderful. I am looking forward to performing this program. It’s one of my favorite pieces of music.”

Sasha debuts her short program at Sun Valley, Idaho in late August.
    (emphasis added)

So she IS skating her short program at Sun Valley. Maybe if there are no reports she'll update her journal again or something like that to say how it went.

Interesting comment about her "I like to stay on the ice as long as possible"- apparently not during some competitions, lol!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3