Can Mao Asada make it to 2018 OG? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Can Mao Asada make it to 2018 OG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
For Mao to make the Olympic team, there would need to be some sort of miracle... Especially with her last season. However I am hopeful and I really hope she can bring me to tears again just like in 2014 with that exquisite and emotional long program. I cried for her at that Olympics. :sad21: Let's go mao!! Bring back your fire

sunnypig13

Spectator
For Mao to make the Olympic team first she must be 100% healthy, no injuries etc. And she needs to hire a jump coach and lastly she needs to diminish her riskier jumps I think replacing 3F-3Lo to 3F-3T will be more advantageous to have an excellent program, adding 3-3 in short is a plus so that, if she will botched her 3A in short program adding 3-3 will be serve as a backup, or trying different 3-3 combos will be good. Lastly the most important is to skate with her heart that is full of confidence

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
First the woman needs to look after herself and get healthy. Second get a real triple triple that she does consisently. Third get the axel or a clean lutz. And skate healthy adn from the heart. She has it if she can deliver - like Gracie.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
For Mao to make the Olympic team first she must be 100% healthy, no injuries etc. And she needs to hire a jump coach and lastly she needs to diminish her riskier jumps I think replacing 3F-3Lo to 3F-3T will be more advantageous to have an excellent program, adding 3-3 in short is a plus so that, if she will botched her 3A in short program adding 3-3 will be serve as a backup, or trying different 3-3 combos will be good. Lastly the most important is to skate with her heart that is full of confidence

Welcome to the forums sunnypig13 :)

sunnypig13

Spectator
First the woman needs to look lr herself and get healthy. Second get a real triple triple that she does consisently. Third get the axel or a clean lutz. And skate healthy adn from the heart. She has it if she can deliver - like Gracie.

I think her Lutz has no edge issues now it was ratified in Skate America and in nationals

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

I wonder who Mao can go to for jump coaching. I believe the best jump coaches in Japan are Nagakubo, Tamura, and Honda. The first two already coach top ladies (Rika Hongo/Satoko Miyahara). I don't know whether Takeshi Honda coaches a top Japanese lady.

Maybe she could turn to Midori Ito? Apparently she coaches in Fukuoka, but she's kept a fairly low profile as a coach.

Barb

Record Breaker
I wonder who Mao can go to for jump coaching. I believe the best jump coaches in Japan are Nagakubo, Tamura, and Honda. The first two already coach top ladies (Rika Hongo/Satoko Miyahara). I don't know whether Takeshi Honda coaches a top Japanese lady.

Maybe she could turn to Midori Ito? Apparently she coaches in Fukuoka, but she's kept a fairly low profile as a coach.

Mao just spend some days relaxing at Sri Lanka in a hotel-spa, she is not in desperation like Gracie, I think she only will try her best without drastic changes in her training.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Mao needs a real expert guiding her. With her age and injuries, Mao cannot do the repetitions than someone 16 can. She has to make the most of her training time, and I think she already has the right coach to help.

moriel

Record Breaker
Well, to start with, Mao has accomplished a lot in her career - more than most skaters ever did or will ever do, in fact.
So i suppose there is less pressure for achievments.

I really hope she just keeps skating beautifully and don´t transform herself into plushy v2 in pursuit of another olympic games

shyne

Final Flight
I think it depends on wether Japan can secure 3 spots or not.
She has a much better chance to make it if Japan has 3 spots for ladies.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Looking at 4CC I think Mao has a good chance. There's basically no one but Satoko right now. Mai Mihara shows some good promise. But let's wait for FS. And then for the worlds, and then for the next season. She is too unproven. But that's it. Rika Hongo seems to be on the downward spiral since the end of the last season. As for Wakaba, I never understood the hype. At least she was fast. But the skating I saw this time was not just bad - it was hopeless. May be she has health issues which she will hopefully overcome. May be puberty hit her.

Juniors coming senior? Marin? Let's wait for JWC. If she fares well against Polina and Alina then may be.

But I think that strong and motivated Mao is Japan's best chance together with Satoko. And it will be surely a treat for viewers.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think it depends on wether Japan can secure 3 spots or not.
She has a much better chance to make it if Japan has 3 spots for ladies.

Great!, she always helped to get 3 spots for Japan and now when she needs it the girls are lost :bang:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Higuchi has a sore foot---that's why she didn't skate well in the SP at 4CC, and probably won't do much better in the FS. But it is a temporary condition and not a career-ender, so it's much too soon to dismiss her future prospects.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Great!, she always helped to get 3 spots for Japan and now when she needs it the girls are lost :bang:

As long at Satoko medals, which is looking likely given that only Evgenia is more consistent, one of the other women just needs a top 10 finish. Mai has been looking somewhat steady, so she may be able to achieve that placement.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I believe this season's 4CC is hardly a good indicator on who's going to make the Olympic team a year from now. Also, personal taste =/= predictions. The fact that you don't like a skater or that skater had a bad competition does not mean they're doomed forever.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Well, hope Mao's trip to the Olympics is due to her improvement over this season, not because other Japanese ladies went down spiral.

sunnypig13

Spectator

It's better for Mao to train again in US I think there's a lot of best jump coach in US rafael arutunyan, christy krall, damon allen or hopefully she will go back to tarasova

LRK

Record Breaker
As long at Satoko medals, which is looking likely given that only Evgenia is more consistent, one of the other women just needs a top 10 finish. Mai has been looking somewhat steady, so she may be able to achieve that placement.

I'd be very surprised if Mai doesn't place top ten, to be honest - it's possible of course ("anything is possible"), but I do think that Mai is often very underestimated. (Or overlooked entirely. Often people don't even bother with her name, but just refer to her as the third Japanese lady.)

mary01

Final Flight

Takeshi Honda helped stabilize her axel one time when it was troubling her, she landed many HUGE 3A's that season after training with him for a short while, i would love to see her go back to him

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Higuchi has a sore foot---that's why she didn't skate well in the SP at 4CC, and probably won't do much better in the FS. But it is a temporary condition and not a career-ender, so it's much too soon to dismiss her future prospects.

Sam here doesn't even believe Wakaba has a true lutz, let alone any future prospects :rofl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.