Jenny Kirk to leave The Skating Lesson | Golden Skate

Jenny Kirk to leave The Skating Lesson

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Did Jenny leave? Did she take the audio technology with her? Seriously...maybe it's my speakers but I felt like I had tinnitus while attempting to listen.

"Oppinions in this post do not reflect the views of Golden Skate in any way" :2thumbs:

Just thought here would be an appropriate place to post this.

Jenny announced today on her Facebook profile that she will not be returning to TSL.

"Happy day one post-Nationals :) Some people have been asking, so I wanted to let you guys know I have decided not to return to TSL at the end of the season. I plan on keeping my connection to skating through coaching, performing again ( 😳 ) and counseling skaters and other athletes in the future. I am going to really miss the TSL community: you guys are so awesome; I've really loved shimmying and discussing the sport and its stars with you and Dave 😬 Thank you so much for always keeping it real 💟 💟 💟"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/JenniferAKirk/posts/10154984753593748

I wish her all the best for the future.

CaroLiza_fan

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss her, but had a feeling she wouldn't return. She kept Dave in check and while he's got great rotating roster of people, it won't be the same.

Is she still in law school though? Looks like she's spending time in the rink getting some of her jumps back.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great move on Jenny's part. She's way too talented and knowledgable to continue down such a negative path. Coach Jenny........ now that's how you use and share your experiences to benefit the sport. :agree:

Barb

Record Breaker
I will miss her, but had a feeling she wouldn't return. She kept Dave in check and while he's got great rotating roster of people, it won't be the same.

Is she still in law school though? Looks like she's spending time in the rink getting some of her jumps back.

I thought she was leaving to study too :scratch2:

GGFan

Record Breaker
I will miss her. It was wise to announce it after she'd been gone for the Fall. Now that I've seen many videos without her I think TSL will continue to be successful.

...and counseling skaters and other athletes in the future.

In view of her own struggles with eating disorders, etc., and her forthright willingness to discuss these issues publicly, this could be an area where she could make a big contribution to the sport.

I, too, wonder if she is still pursuing a law degree, or if she has left that path.

I've really loved shimmying.

:rock: Shimmy on! Get together with Mariah Bell and teach her some tricks for her All That Jazz program!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Jennifer_Kirk_2003_NHK_Trophy.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9TDD8iz2...TleflrOLMRrqiGwCLcB/s1600/Mariah_Bell_USA.jpg

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I like TSL. I like Jenny Kirk. I'll like them separate as much as I like them together. Fingers crossed we get see Jenny in the K&C with some skaters in the future!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tod bad she isn't returning to the Skating Lesson. I haven't watched TSL all season partly because with Gracie's terrible season i wasn't much into this season but also because Jenny wasn't on. They can both get annoying at times but they had great chemistry and i always did like their recaps.

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I thought the balance of Jenny and Dave made the skating lesson a fun watch. Dave sometimes has great guests sometimes not so great now. I still listen sometimes for the backstage insights but I really miss Jenny's contributions.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I'll miss her! I don't agree with her opinions sometimes but she brings the pep in their This and That videos. Wishing her the best of luck in her future. :thank:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss Jenny, too. But she was wasting her time. I kind of don't get her. She spends a year applying to law school, gets into UCLA, and then throws it all away, for what? She is still wasting her time, just in another dead-end pursuit (show skating or whatever she is trying to do now). I think Jenny is very talented as an on-air commentator, whether on skating or in some other capacity (she is also very easy on the eyes). I would certainly prefer her to Tara as the NBC play-by-play person. Not that that will happen at the big events like Nationals or Worlds. But what about some of the "lesser" events, like the ones where they use Tracy Wilson and Ryan Bradley? I have nothing against Tracy but she is a former ice dancer, isn't she? And a Canadian. I think Jenny would be a better choice to call the singles and pairs events. Preferably with Terry Gannon. I can dream, can't I?

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I am sad she will no longer be with TSL. I would love to know what her thoughts were about Nationals, and the split between Gracie and Carroll. I remember Jenny telling a story (TSL) about how she threw a chair in the locker room after a performance because she was so mad at her own performance. I think Jenny would have some interesting, compassionate, and smart things to say. I hope that somehow, we will still get to read/hear her musings.

And I will still watch/listen to TSL.

sarama

Medalist
Good luck to her on whatever she decides to do!
Jenny and Dave were so much on the same page that TSL is not that different without her, still she had some great moments and insights and I hope she guests commentate every once in a while.
Generally speaking I don't always agree with what is said on TSL, and they like to creat some drama just for the sake of it, BUT I appreciate their "keeping it real attitude", their interviews are always great, and at US nats Dave was the only person (apart from Jackie Wong) saying things that made sense. I wish Christine Brennan, Phil Hersh, Tara, Johnny and Terry, and most of the icenetwork commentating crew would just shut up and leave the poor skaters alone

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I will miss Jenny, too. But she was wasting her time. I kind of don't get her. She spends a year applying to law school, gets into UCLA, and then throws it all away, for what? She is still wasting her time, just in another dead-end pursuit (show skating or whatever she is trying to do now). I think Jenny is very talented as an on-air commentator, whether on skating or in some other capacity (she is also very easy on the eyes). I would certainly prefer her to Tara as the NBC play-by-play person. Not that that will happen at the big events like Nationals or Worlds. But what about some of the "lesser" events, like the ones where they use Tracy Wilson and Ryan Bradley? I have nothing against Tracy but she is a former ice dancer, isn't she? And a Canadian. I think Jenny would be a better choice to call the singles and pairs events. Preferably with Terry Gannon. I can dream, can't I?

For whatever she wants to do for now, I suppose. I spent three miserable years in graduate school before finally admitting to myself that I didn't want the career path in front of me. I left and was almost instantly much happier. My favorite headline ever for an article was "Real Careers Have Curves." It's not wasting your time if you're learning, growing, and making enough money to support yourself, even if you find yourself on another trajectory eventually.

I think I would actually love Jenny as a commentator! She'd be a good fit for IceNetwork...