Asian Cinema + Wong Kar Wai fan thread! | Golden Skate

Asian Cinema + Wong Kar Wai fan thread!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Since it turns out we have a bunch of Wong Kar Wai fans here, I thought I'd start a thread!

Let's talk about your favorite WKW and other Asian Cinema favorites!

Last edited:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I have nothing new to say, Zhenia's miming is still killing me :dbana:

I watched In the Mood for Love yesterday (left me devastated by the way :cry:), so after that level of subtlety, Zhenia is just overkill :dumb:

As it's supposed to do. Then you'll come back for more and more and more, and the heartbreak will only become bigger. God, I love that movie.
I suggest you 2046 too (a sequel to it, both movies were shot at the same time). I like it slightly less, but it's definitely good as well.
Sorry for the OT

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As it's supposed to do. Then you'll come back for more and more and more, and the heartbreak will only become bigger. God, I love that movie.
I suggest you 2046 too (a sequel to it, both movies were shot at the same time). I like it slightly less, but it's definitely good as well.
Sorry for the OT
Loving the Wong Kar Wai love here. Also a big fan of ITMFL and 2046, which I feel is its much darker counterpart.

And chase that with some Chungking Express to lighten the mood a little!

To get on topic, sounds like some great performances! Had to miss it and hope to catch up later.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Loving the Wong Kar Wai love here. Also a big fan of ITMFL and 2046, which I feel is its much darker counterpart.

These two are my favorite - both are masterpieces. The musical score in 2046 is unbelievably moody. BTW I have 2046 thumb ups, oops 2047 now.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

And chase that with some Chungking Express to lighten the mood a little!

To get on topic, sounds like some great performances! Had to miss it and hope to catch up later.

Chungking Express i think it's my favourite film ever!

Definitely best soundtrack ever (Baroque, Dreams and California Dreamin are pure gold), and Faye Wong is lovely :love: :love: :love:

matcha

Medalist
I have nothing new to say, Zhenia's miming is still killing me :dbana:

I watched In the Mood for Love yesterday (left me devastated by the way :cry:), so after that level of subtlety, Zhenia is just overkill :dumb:
In The Mood For Love is literally one of the greatest films ever made. :luv17: Someone should skate to Yumeji's Theme aaahh

You should watch the entire 'trilogy' if you arne;t doing that already. Days of Being Wild and 2046.

On the topic of skating. Yay, Anna! :luv17: Show those Nationals judges they were wrong! WRONG!

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
In The Mood For Love is literally one of the greatest films ever made. :luv17: Someone should skate to Yumeji's Theme aaahh

You should watch the entire 'trilogy' if you arne;t doing that already. Days of Being Wild and 2046.

On the topic of skating. Yay, Anna! :luv17: Show those Nationals judges they were wrong! WRONG!

I have wished for YEARS now that someone would skate on In the mood for love soundtrack. I don't understand that no one has ever skated to that or to music from Park Chan Wook movies. This makes me so bitter lol

Lota

Record Breaker

Yup, it appears I have several more films by Wong Kar-wai to watch :laugh: The way he keeps recasting the same actors in his films reminds me of Yasujiro Ozu (whose Tokyo Story is the only work of his I've seen, so I'll have to get to that at some point as well).

Totaly agree about Yumeji's Theme (the whole soundtrack really), it's been stuck in my head and, since I'm apparently a masochist, I keep listening to it. Someone should definitely skate to it :yes:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Yup, it appears I have several more films by Wong Kar-wai to watch :laugh: The way he keeps recasting the same actors in his films reminds me of Yasujiro Ozu (whose Tokyo Story is the only work of his I've seen, so I'll have to get to that at some point as well).

Totaly agree about Yumeji's Theme (the whole soundtrack really), it's been stuck in my head and, since I'm apparently a masochist, I keep listening to it. Someone should definitely skate to it :yes:

Me OT-ing again.
Tokyo Story is a pinnacle of the cinematic art and it's so uncomfortable to watch, it made me think a lot. I don't think I could ever dig up the courage to watch it with my parents. Another great movie of Ozu's is Late Spring - he digs deep into family ties, and that of course hits close to home for many viewers.

Lota

Record Breaker
Me OT-ing again.
Tokyo Story is a pinnacle of the cinematic art and it's so uncomfortable to watch, it made me think a lot. I don't think I could ever dig up the courage to watch it with my parents. Another great movie of Ozu's is Late Spring - he digs deep into family ties, and that of course hits close to home for many viewers.

Oh I know, it was devastating in a completely different way, but I feel like it should almost be a mandatory watch, uncomfortable as it is. Ah, so many films to see, so little time to watch them. Then again I myself should put more effort into finding the time :yes:

I have wished for YEARS now that someone would skate on In the mood for love soundtrack. I don't understand that no one has ever skated to that or to music from Park Chan Wook movies. This makes me so bitter lol

People skated to it. Ponsero 2005 SP is a masterpiece, he won the SP at junior worlds with it.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Thank you Mrs P for putting OT comments in order and for opening this thread!

Lota, lately I have been choosing movies to watch from the "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" list, as well as the Top 1,000 of "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They" (of course, many movies are on both lists). I try to watch a couple films per week. I am slowly but steadily approaching 500, discovering many gems in the process.

Back on topic, re: uncomfortable-yet-captivating Asian movies, how about Teshigahara's Woman in the Dunes? I got a claustrophobic feeling from that one

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you Mrs P for putting OT comments in order and for opening this thread!

Lota, lately I have been choosing movies to watch from the "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" list, as well as the Top 1,000 of "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They" (of course, many movies are on both lists). I try to watch a couple films per week. I am slowly but steadily approaching 500, discovering many gems in the process.

Back on topic, re: uncomfortable-yet-captivating Asian movies, how about Teshigahara's Woman in the Dunes? I got a claustrophobic feeling from that one

That's a really cool project...watching those movies on lists..I love doing stuff like that.

WKW...there was a few weeks one summer where I tried to watch every one of his movies I could find....I just love how much he makes the city of Hong Kong a character in his movies.

Lota

Record Breaker
Indeed, it would be a cool project to do :yes: I'm also trying to read more, I just need to manage my time better and stop being a couch potato :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Indeed, it would be a cool project to do :yes: I'm also trying to read more, I just need to manage my time better and stop being a couch potato :laugh:

Reading more is also on my list! It is amazing the amount of things you can do with your time....Almost too much. :laugh:

OT: But here's something useful for your reading pursuit: http://jamesclear.com/read-more

Lota

Record Breaker
Reading more is also on my list! It is amazing the amount of things you can do with your time....Almost too much. :laugh:

OT: But here's something useful for your reading pursuit: http://jamesclear.com/read-more

Thanks! It really is all about taking the time and making it a habit. I took a little rest after Great Expectations (yes, I only read them now), now I need to get back into reading. Sorry about the :eek:topic: :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For fun my ranking of WKW movies I've seen:

2000 In the Mood for Love 花樣年華 Fa yeung nin wa
1994 Chungking Express 重慶森林 Chung Hing sam lam
2004 2046
1995 Fallen Angels 墮落天使 Do lok tin si (Fallen Angels)
1997 Happy Together 春光乍洩 Chun gwong cha sit
1990 Days of Being Wild 阿飛正傳 Ah fei zing zyun (The Legend of Ah Fei)
1988 As Tears Go By 旺角卡門 Wong gok ka moon (Mongkok Carmen)

Haven't seen yet:
1994 Ashes of Time 東邪西毒 Dung che sai duk
2007 My Blueberry Nights 藍莓之夜
2013 The Grandmaster 一代宗師 Yi dai zong shi

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For fun my ranking of WKW movies I've seen:

2000 In the Mood for Love 花樣年華 Fa yeung nin wa
1994 Chungking Express 重慶森林 Chung Hing sam lam
2004 2046
1995 Fallen Angels 墮落天使 Do lok tin si (Fallen Angels)
1997 Happy Together 春光乍洩 Chun gwong cha sit
1990 Days of Being Wild 阿飛正傳 Ah fei zing zyun (The Legend of Ah Fei)
1988 As Tears Go By 旺角卡門 Wong gok ka moon (Mongkok Carmen)

Haven't seen yet:
1994 Ashes of Time 東邪西毒 Dung che sai duk
2007 My Blueberry Nights 藍莓之夜
2013 The Grandmaster 一代宗師 Yi dai zong shi

i loved happy together ;)