Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The older, the better :) ....Dick Button and Peggy Fleming........42

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Let's get older yet. Tenley Albright.

Other candidates would be Jenny Don (see Paula's article), and supposedly Alice Sue Claeys.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
SingAlto said:
Not Dick. He'd never shut up. :laugh:

Either that, or he'd nitpick about the validity of the answers..... :laugh:

I went with Kwan, but runners-up would include Thomas and Hughes. Actually, I've read a lot of profiles about up-and-coming US ladies who seem to be overacheivers in just about all areas who would probably do quite well.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Okay, saying that Michelle would win on Jeopardy! is carrying Michelle-love to a ridiculous extreme, don't you think? She can't even get through what is probably sophomore status at a state university! Surely there are many others who are much more motivated towards academics. Paul Wylie, Matt Savoie, Sarah Hughes, Amber Corwin, Tonia Kwiatkowski come immediately to mind. Irina Slutskaya and Maria B. are college grads--but they'd probably have a tough time on an American game show. :eek:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
Okay, saying that Michelle would win on Jeopardy! is carrying Michelle-love to a ridiculous extreme, don't you think? She can't even get through what is probably sophomore status at a state university! Surely there are many others who are much more motivated towards academics. Paul Wylie, Matt Savoie, Sarah Hughes, Amber Corwin, Tonia Kwiatkowski come immediately to mind. Irina Slutskaya and Maria B. are college grads--but they'd probably have a tough time on an American game show. :eek:
Jeopardy, like most TV game shows, tests general knowledge trivia. This has absolutely nothing to do with IQ or college attendance. Just because Debi got herself into Stanford pre-med doesn't mean that she could answer trivia questions about the English Monarchy. Anyone who dismisses UCLA as merely "a state school" like it's Eastern Cow State Tech clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
:laugh:

RealtorGal, I'm afraid that by responding to this thread you fell for Elfga's (= MWK, etc.) latest attempt to start a fight between Michelle fans and Sasha fans.

Mathman :\

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
RealtorGal, I'm afraid that by responding to this thread you fell for Elfga's (= MWK, etc.) latest attempt to start a fight between Michelle fans and Sasha fans.

Mathman :\

Wow! You're right! Ok, I take it back. Michelle is brilliant and would definitely win on Jeopardy! No, wait! I'd say it would have to be a tie between Michelle AND Sasha! I'd say they're probably intellectual equals! :D :laugh:

BTW, BG, I actually DO know about what I am talking. I have absolutely nothing against and am in no way being dismissive of UCLA--a very fine school--but it's not exactly Harvard. I'm a long-time CA resident and former college professor here, so I'm well aware of the hierarchy of educational institutions.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
What I'm trying to figure out is how anyone could ever get the impression, which seems to be implied, that Michelle is stupid. She may have her strange woo-woo spacy moments, but she is NOT stupid.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
BTW, BG, I actually DO know about what I am talking. I have absolutely nothing against and am in no way being dismissive of UCLA--a very fine school--but it's not exactly Harvard. I'm a long-time CA resident and former college professor here, so I'm well aware of the hierarchy of educational institutions.
And that's why you picked Tonia and Matt?
:confused:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oh, for heaven's sake, I mentioned Tonia and Matt because they are both college GRADUATES period. Tonia (psychology) and Matt (political science) obviously value education enough to have earned their degrees. Yes, they would probably do quite well on Jeopardy!

Speaking of smarty pants, Lauren Galler-Rabinowitz has been accepted at both Harvard AND Yale, while her partner, David Mitchell, has recently graduated from Tufts Univ.

If we are talking about Pulitzers Prizes and Nobel Prizes, I believe the university which had students awarded the most was the City University of New York. This is a city university, not a state university, and not a private university.and not NYU. I'm an alumnus of Hunter College of the City University of New York. As for Trivia and quick recall, I am ok. Nothing special.

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
Oh, for heaven's sake, I mentioned Tonia and Matt because they are both college GRADUATES period.

"Q: Which celebrities have competed on JEOPARDY!?
A: Stars who’ve demonstrated their smarts as contestants on JEOPARDY! include Jodie Foster, Ashton Kutcher, Nathan Lane, Harry Connick, Jr., Rosie O’Donnell, David Duchovny, Chris Matthews, Wayne Brady, Camryn Manheim, Brandi Chastain, Star Jones, Jane Seymour, Jason Alexander, Alyssa Milano,Scott Hamilton , Mike Piazza, Mark McEwen, Larry King, Buzz Aldrin, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Tom Clancy, Kirsten Dunst, Wolf Blitzer, Naomi Judd, Rebecca Lobo, Kelsey Grammer, General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Stephen King and Carol Burnett. Their efforts have paid off in millions of dollars donated to their favorite charities nationwide."

Scott went to college?

"When it became clear that Jeopardy was not going to become a funny show, the programming department at NBC presented Griffin with a research report stating that the show would soon fail if the answers and questions were not immediately dumbed down. The report suggested that the answers be easy enough for a 13-year-old to question correctly. Griffin told NBC execs he would comply, but he never told the Jeopardy staff about the report."

You can get as testy as you want RG, but your theory of college education being required to do well on the show is just silly. Why would one need to finish above sophmore year of higher ed to answer questions like:

"79 Wistful Vista."

"What was Fibber McGee and Molly's address?"

Edited to add: it doesn't say if either went to college or not, but apparently just 3 weeks ago a long standing record was broken due to a rule change. The former all-time Jeopardy! champ was a 24 year old record store clerk who lived at home with his mother. The new champ is a 30 year old software developer.

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
BG, I'm glad you had time to do this important research.

BTW, celebs on CELEBRITY Jeopardy! do not undergo the kind of testing that regular contestants do in order to get on the show. For regular folk, it's quite competitive.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
"79 Wistful Vista."

"What was Fibber McGee and Molly's address?"

I defy ANYONE under the age of 50, regardless of intelligence or educational background, to be able to get THAT one right!! :laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It just makes sense that anyone who has had more exposure to different things, education, and life experience would do better at trivia. I am a loyal MK fan but she as well as most elite athletes are probably not the best candidates to win at Jeopardy. I have to agree with Rgal that those who have more experience outside of skating would probably do better. Of course, freaky exceptions to that will always come along.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
At 7:32 pm today the answer on Jeopardy was......................................................"What is a Zamboni?"

AND...at 7:47 the answer was.........."Who is Tara Lipinski?"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited: