Wagner decides on Olympic Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wagner decides on Olympic Program

da96103

Record Breaker
Ashley skates during Another Day In The Sun when the ice melts. Is Ashley just Someone In the Crowd? I hope she can win in a City of Stars. Will your aunt cause trouble leaping into the river of melted ice, barefoot?

da96103

Record Breaker
I saw the movie yesterday and was sadly disappointed considering all the hype it's getting. The music is definitely a detraction from Her Fierceness but I can't imagine what cut she'll use for skating. I HOPE it isn't Ryan Gosling or Emma Stone singing. Yikes. There is a piano theme played throughout that's really nice but it's very, very short. Hmmm....:noshake:

How about Emma Watson in BATB? Coming out in March 2017.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think we can assume she's skating to la la land from that tweet. All she actually says is that her music makes her want to dance.

noskates

Record Breaker
BATB has a beautiful soundrack but remember - that was the disastrous music that Nancy Kerrigan skated to one year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
another question would be : do you think Ashley will qualify for the Olympics???

Many things could happen ;) (not wishing her any harm but USA could get down to 2 spots, Gracie and Poiina could come back super strong ETC)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw that, too. Ashley enjoys teasing about her music selections but perhaps she's starting to work on it now and wants to announce it.

I imagine it will be a mashup from the OST. I like the soundtrack and the film, but I don't get all the Oscar hype around it.

I love the soundtrack but am ambivalent about the movie. I think the hype is mainly appreciation and enthusiasm that someone had the moxie, the love, and the talent to write and produce something like it in this day and age. People in the industry want to support it and celebrate.

I know Meryl and Charlie had chosen Scheherezade for the 2014 olympic season well in advance. Does anyone know if they announced it ahead of time? I like the example of Pechalat and partner, way ahead in 2012. If one has decided, why not. That way other top skaters will know, and stay away from it if they don't want to duplicate the choice.

brightphoton

Medalist
It always surprises me when so many skaters choose the same music, considering the near infinite choices they have.

For example, it seemed like 25% of our skaters at Nationals chose "the Mission" for their LP. At last year's World's (?), a lot of skaters chose Michael Buble.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, La La Land is going to be "The Artist" of 2018.

But wait, what if MOONLIGHT wins the Best Picture Oscar?

Also interested to see if we'll get a bunch of Hamilton programs.

Well, then Moonlight will be "The Artist" of 2018 I guess.:) I mean, it isn't about who wins the BPO as much as what music appeals to whom.

Most of the music I've heard from Hamilton is hip hop, except for the King George III number. And perhaps the numbers related to Eliza, and son Philip? Have you seen the show, Mrs. P? Your comment intrigues me. I wish I had a chance to see it.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
another question would be : do you think Ashley will qualify for the Olympics???

Many things could happen ;) (not wishing her any harm but USA could get down to 2 spots, Gracie and Poiina could come back super strong ETC)

As a poster upthread noted, Ashley didn't say it was for the Olympics. She only mentioned music for the olympic season.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yeah, La La Land is going to be "The Artist" of 2018.

But wait, what if MOONLIGHT wins the Best Picture Oscar?

Also interested to see if we'll get a bunch of Hamilton programs.

I'll die of happiness if anyone skates to Hamilton...but I think the hip hop elements might make it very difficult, as well as the specificity of the lyrics. Out of context, they don't make much sense, whereas the popular songs from POTO and Les Mis tend to feel more universal. Could any of the Hamilton songs work instrumentally? I'm not sure. I've never listened to them without lyrics.

If anyone does skate to anything Hamilton related they will be my new faves.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As a poster upthread noted, Ashley didn't say it was for the Olympics. She only mentioned music for the olympic season.

When your long program music for Olympic season just makes you want to dance

i don't think there's anything cryptic in her tweet... if she had said music fine... could be a gala piece or something... but she says, LONG PROGRAM.... that's a competitive program.... Olympic season... that's the season when the Olympics happen... :)

Ashley is very direct on twitter.. she doesn't just say things to make people think and dwell... I would take it at first value.

Now, I see you are an Ashley fan, so do not read my comment too deeply ;) all I said is equivalent to "ice is slippery "

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thread title is a bit misleading and inaccurate, in my opinion. Your post seemed to double down on that. Ashley is direct in her tweets, and it seems to me that she's usually careful with her word choices. I don't think she'd want to give the impression that she's assuming anything.

And yes, I'm a happy Ashley:love: Wagner fan. :hap10:

Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll die of happiness if anyone skates to Hamilton...but I think the hip hop elements might make it very difficult, as well as the specificity of the lyrics. Out of context, they don't make much sense, whereas the popular songs from POTO and Les Mis tend to feel more universal. Could any of the Hamilton songs work instrumentally? I'm not sure. I've never listened to them without lyrics.

If anyone does skate to anything Hamilton related they will be my new faves.

Let's ring the bell, your new favorite skater is .... Jason Brown!:laugh:

Jason skates to "Wait for It" from Hamilton on the Today Show

In this clip Jason pretty much says, without coming out and announcing it, that Hamilton will be one of his programs for the Olympic year. (and not *for* the Olympics, as the headline implies. Whatever criticism may be leveled against Jason, presumptuousness will be last on the list.)

http://www.today.com/video/figure-s...lton-at-the-olympics-is-my-dream-865944131780

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.....:biggrin:

Weathergal

Medalist
So if Ashley does skate to "La La Land," wiil she wear a yellow dress like the character in the movie? :scratch: Ashley's had a history with yellow dresses--and looking stunning in them even though yellow is a hard color to pull off!

LeCygne

Final Flight
Ok wow. So I am 99.9% sure she's not literally skating to La La Land but just picked that GIF to express that her music makes her want to dance. It makes no sense for her reveal her music this far in advance, however cryptically or tongue-in-cheek (and I don't buy calling "dibs" on anything) when she should still be concentrating on training for the current season. Not to mention La La Land is totally not a good fit for her; she needs the drama and intensity of a Moulin Rouge, not a whimsical musical where you can barely hear the singing (not knocking the movie at all, I actually loved it). I think people are reading too much into the GIF.

temadd

Final Flight
Ok wow. So I am 99.9% sure she's not literally skating to La La Land but just picked that GIF to express that her music makes her want to dance. It makes no sense for her reveal her music this far in advance, however cryptically or tongue-in-cheek (and I don't buy calling "dibs" on anything) when she should still be concentrating on training for the current season. Not to mention La La Land is totally not a good fit for her; she needs the drama and intensity of a Moulin Rouge, not a whimsical musical where you can barely hear the singing (not knocking the movie at all, I actually loved it). I think people are reading too much into the GIF.

I agree. I think she's being cryptic.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, then Moonlight will be "The Artist" of 2018 I guess.:) I mean, it isn't about who wins the BPO as much as what music appeals to whom.

Most of the music I've heard from Hamilton is hip hop, except for the King George III number. And perhaps the numbers related to Eliza, and son Philip? Have you seen the show, Mrs. P? Your comment intrigues me. I wish I had a chance to see it.

I haven't seen the show, but listened to the music. I agree it would be challenging given the hip-hop, but it has so much universal appeal that it would be perfect draw for those very four year viewers.

I'm interested to see if Jason actually ends up doing a Hamilton program..or he keeps it as an exhibition. Yeah, yeah he said he would love be to skate to Hamilton at the Olympics, but not sure that's the same as saying he WILL.

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty