Starting Figure Skating At Age 17 | Golden Skate

Starting Figure Skating At Age 17

TheNoviceSkater

Spectator
I have gone ice skating only once in my life, a week ago, but I used to love in-line skating when i was younger. When I first stepped on the ice I struggled a bit, but after a few minutes I was moving pretty fast. I am already working on buying some skates for myself, as the rental ones hurt my feet, and am in the process of the starting Ice-skating lessons. I have also started dancing, exercising, and doing yoga to get my body in shape. Although I don't strive to make it to the Olympics, I want to become the best figure skater I can be in as little time as possible.

With all of this in mind could I eventually, after some years, be able to achieve triple or even some quadruple jumps? Also, do I have a chance of making it on Disney On Ice? Oh yea, I'm also a guy in case that matters.

Thanks in advance for your response!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
With all of this in mind could I eventually, after some years, be able to achieve triple or even some quadruple jumps?

There are men who have been skating all of their lives who never land quadruple jumps.

"as little time as possible"? Why? This is not something you can master in a short time.

Disney on Ice is unlikely as I believe it requires the Junior level.

TGee

Record Breaker
Disney on Ice, and a successful competitive career in the Adult category is possible. And even a future in coaching, or judging.

I can think of more than one late starting male skater who has done at least two of these.

While double lutzes are about as high as they've gone in jumps, this is competitive in the adult category. But I note that the ones I have in mind have done very well as adult skaters in ice dance and pairs. If you are strong and tallish, and might find it appealing to work with a partner, there are definitely opportunities to grow in skating and reach the ISU adult masters competitions.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
only you can answer that question. If you show talent, I'm sure you can accomplish a lot. Good luck, man.

I love to ice skate, but I'm not good at it. I prefer skiing because I can go a lot faster.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have gone ice skating only once in my life, a week ago, but I used to love in-line skating when i was younger. When I first stepped on the ice I struggled a bit, but after a few minutes I was moving pretty fast. I am already working on buying some skates for myself, as the rental ones hurt my feet, and am in the process of the starting Ice-skating lessons. I have also started dancing, exercising, and doing yoga to get my body in shape. Although I don't strive to make it to the Olympics, I want to become the best figure skater I can be in as little time as possible.

With all of this in mind could I eventually, after some years, be able to achieve triple or even some quadruple jumps? Also, do I have a chance of making it on Disney On Ice? Oh yea, I'm also a guy in case that matters.

This thread belongs in the subforum "Figure Skating: The Lutz Corner," so don't be surprised if it is moved. In addition to responses you may get to this thread, I would suggest that you read other threads there, in particular, the sticky "So You Want To Be A Figure Skater," as well as threads started by other late beginners. All of them contain relevant information.

Last edited:

posha

Rinkside
I have gone ice skating only once in my life, a week ago, but I used to love in-line skating when i was younger. When I first stepped on the ice I struggled a bit, but after a few minutes I was moving pretty fast....

Here is the thing. Jumps are the "cherry on top" part of figure skating. They are not the appetizer, main meal, or basic ingredients, if that makes sense to you. Figure skating is so damn hard to explain in terms of its true difficulty. You have to do it, to know it.

You say you used to in-line skate. Good. This will help you, but it is still different to skate on ice.
You say you skate faster now on ice. Great! Speed can help some things, bit not if you can't control it. Can you stop as easily as you can skate fast??

It isn't that one day, after many great days of skating you can muster up the willlpower and confidence and be like "Today I will try the quad." Even if you can actually rotate 4x and land on one foot on the floor (without breaking yourself) it doesn't mean it's time to take it to the ice.

Nothing in skating is "sold separately." The entire package comes together. You can't isolate skills. Learning a jump means learning an entire overall set of"skating skills" like edge control, quickness, balance, speed, muscle reflex, timing, rhythm, stability---and more. You will need to master basic stroking, turns, spinning in fact too. Your brain needs to learn a new kind of equilibrium.

Jumps don't take 20 yrs. to learn. Quality skating with technique takes 20 yrs. to learn. There is no 'skip' button to learn good quality skating, which is the real bread and butter, and ingredients to make the meal. The "cherry on top" is sitting on top of that.

I hope that made sense.

You don't get into skating to learn a triple jump, or to perform a beautiful program for an audience. You take on the whole package. You eat a meal.

Speaking of which, I am feeling hungry and delirious now so I will take break and eat . �� ��

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Here is the thing. Jumps are the "cherry on top" part of figure skating. They are not the appetizer, main meal, or basic ingredients, if that makes sense to you. Figure skating is so damn hard to explain in terms of its true difficulty. You have to do it, to know it.

You say you used to in-line skate. Good. This will help you, but it is still different to skate on ice.
You say you skate faster now on ice. Great! Speed can help some things, bit not if you can't control it. Can you stop as easily as you can skate fast??

It isn't that one day, after many great days of skating you can muster up the willlpower and confidence and be like "Today I will try the quad." Even if you can actually rotate 4x and land on one foot on the floor (without breaking yourself) it doesn't mean it's time to take it to the ice.

Nothing in skating is "sold separately." The entire package comes together. You can't isolate skills. Learning a jump means learning an entire overall set of"skating skills" like edge control, quickness, balance, speed, muscle reflex, timing, rhythm, stability---and more. You will need to master basic stroking, turns, spinning in fact too. Your brain needs to learn a new kind of equilibrium.

Jumps don't take 20 yrs. to learn. Quality skating with technique takes 20 yrs. to learn. There is no 'skip' button to learn good quality skating, which is the real bread and butter, and ingredients to make the meal. The "cherry on top" is sitting on top of that.

I hope that made sense.

You don't get into skating to learn a triple jump, or to perform a beautiful program for an audience. You take on the whole package. You eat a meal.

Speaking of which, I am feeling hungry and delirious now so I will take break and eat . �� ��

As I said somewhere else on one of these posts, I personally know a male skater started at 18 and at 21 was doing Disney. That said he was a tall skater with wonderful lines who now is still doing shows and coaching. He was only intemed maybe when he started. He was an exception not a rule. I agree with above, its years year years of skating skills to get the polish needed for shows.Hours of very boring skill making things.Not trick trick trick. My kids who are almost 18 and 16 have been skating since they were 3 and at one point might end up doing shows.
That said adult skating is a great thing !