Gracie switches to Canton | Golden Skate

Gracie switches to Canton

sarama

Medalist
According to this post on The Skating Lesson's Facebook page, she has been working some with Marina, trying things out.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSkating...547475300561/1102432863212014/?type=3&theater

Note to mods: I could not find the previous Gracie thread; just one that had been closed. Please move & combine, if you wish.

I really hope she stays in Canton. She needs somebody like Marina, a tough coach, who can handle the press, and shield her from negativity. Also I think having Maia around could be a great support as well.

moriel

Record Breaker
Is marina a good technical coach though?
While it could be partially headbug, Gracie's jumps looked off axis and messed up this year.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Great news, I think Marina will be perfect for her.

People on this board recommended Marina for Gracie.
It's like she's reading our thoughts (hopefully not posts - it's the last thing she needs). Good to know that she's determined and ready to make some changes.

liv

Record Breaker
Marina could certainly be a help in bringing other things out in her skating. And she is usually good in finding material that suits a skater. I think the Shibs, Patrick, and Nathan when he is there, could all be good influences/supports too.

bytheriver

On the Ice
I like Marina. My only concern would be that Marina has other top medal contenders working with her right now, and they might command more of her attention coming into the Olympic year. Being around other skaters might be good for her, but it could also potentially backfire.

Also someone said that Marina could protect Gracie from negativity: she's a coach from the Russian school. She and Gracie might have issues long-term similar to what happened with Alex. If Gracie couldn't handle that when she was more emotionally strong/confident, what will happen now? I would have gone with someone like Kori for Gracie. Or maybe Peter Oppegard: close to home, comforting for his students, and helped Caroline get back her 3-3.

Barb

Record Breaker
I like Marina. My only concern would be that Marina has other top medal contenders working with her right now, and they might command more of her attention coming into the Olympic year. Being around other skaters might be good for her, but it could also potentially backfire.

Also someone said that Marina could protect Gracie from negativity: she's a coach from the Russian school. She and Gracie might have issues long-term similar to what happened with Alex. If Gracie couldn't handle that when she was more emotionally strong/confident, what will happen now? I would have gone with someone like Kori for Gracie. Or maybe Peter Oppegard: close to home, comforting for his students, and helped Caroline get back her 3-3.

My main concern too, except I am worried for the other skaters, knowing Marina (her previous behavior) I am pretty sure she will focus on Gracie.

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
While it could be partially headbug, Gracie's jumps looked off axis and messed up this year.

They have a jump coach on their team. Others are speculating she could still work with Alex on the technical side since Michigan is much closer to Chicago. Her off axis issues didn't seem to exist much at nationals. She just seemed slow there.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
My first thought was, what is Gracie doing in China? :palmf:

But I think this is excellent news for her, a change and a new start, so good luck!

sarama

Medalist

I guess in Marina's gigantic coaching team there is someone qualified enough to help Gracie on jumps: she has an excellent technique so she doesn't need the best jump coach ever, just someone to guide her. The only real technical problem she has is her flip edge, but I doubt anyone could fix that.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Marina could certainly be a help in bringing other things out in her skating. And she is usually good in finding material that suits a skater.
But, how about the first program she made for Gracie, that Gershwin...

Oh well, whoever will help...

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
But, how about the first program she made for Gracie, that Gershwin...

Oh well, whoever will help...

I liked that program and Sleeping Beauty from the Olympic season, much more complex choreographies than the Assassin Tango SP and D&C FS.

Nathan13

Medalist
I don't think that just because she is in one picture there it means that she has 100% decided that Marina Zueva is her new coach. I imagine, if anything, she will be splitting her time with Alex as well.

However, Marina does not have a medal contending lady at the moment, correct?

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think that just because she is in one picture there it means that she has 100% decided that Marina Zueva is her new coach. I imagine, if anything, she will be splitting her time with Alex as well.
However, Marina does not have a medal contending lady at the moment, correct?

As the OP said, she is "trying things out" with Marina. Nothing 100% has been stated.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm encouraged that she is so motivated to already continue training. This poor nationals result looks to be the kick in the b*** she needed.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am happy that it seems that Gracie has already picked herself up and decided to start skating already. Maybe a little time off after Nationals was good, and now she is ready to move forward (I hope). Hope she continues to work on her off-ice conditioning. She is still a winner in my book! :hap10: Even if Marina is not going to be her coach, glad to see she is skating in MI. because it still beats sitting somewhere and brooding or sulking about her Nationals results!

Warwick360

Medalist

But she doesn't have a top level female skater in her group, does she? Because frankly I'm happy with this as some time ago I thought this could be the best viable option as opposed to Brian Orser or Rafael Arutyunyan, both of whom already have top level female skater(s) in their group.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If I recall correctly from what I read when Patrick moved there, Marina's team include Gracie's former jump coach... so perhaps she is just there to retrieve confidence...

Gracie, like many other skaters, knows her jumps... She doesn't need a jump coach. She needs someone who brings her back to her own self... whether it's loving care, or just visiting a former coach she trusted, that's a good idea for her to be there...

However, in my opinion, she needs time off from the ice... I'd suggest a boot camp where she does a lot of off-ice training, retrieve her belief in her athleticism, sees a sports psychologist and forget about figure skating and remember who she is as a human... then go back to the ice... she's had such a terrible year, she needs time off IMHO... bootcamp or Idon't know go to the Carribeans Gracie ;) take a few weeks off... Enjoy yourself.