Coach Troubles | Golden Skate

Coach Troubles

shoegal

Spectator
OMG!!! My coach is all like "I won't coach you till you go to more practice ice times!" I go to them!!!! I was like "HELLO, I was there on Tuesday!" She said she would start coaching me in August and she hasn't yet. I need a coach if I want to pass my test.
Well, the thing is I quit for like 2 months and she is all like " I don't trust you!" She doesn't think I'll stick to it, or something. But I will because I want to. I started skating again, for at least a month now, so I think she should give me a chance.

What should I do????

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
shoegal said:
OMG!!! My coach is all like "I won't coach you till you go to more practice ice times!" I go to them!!!! I was like "HELLO, I was there on Tuesday!" She said she would start coaching me in August and she hasn't yet. I need a coach if I want to pass my test.
Well, the thing is I quit for like 2 months and she is all like " I don't trust you!" She doesn't think I'll stick to it, or something. But I will because I want to. I started skating again, for at least a month now, so I think she should give me a chance.

What should I do????

Not much choice here; coaches are busy people and don't appreciate their time being wasted. As was suggested - find another coach and stick with your practice times.

emily

Spectator
you really have to prove that you're dedicated. then i'm sure she'll coach you.

sashasbeau

Rinkside
shoegal said:

What should I do????

Are you an adult skater? Cuz if you are she shouldn`t care :laugh: But if you are not then stop whining and look for another coach :rolleye:

Summerkid

Rinkside
Go to practice and prove you're serious. Actions speak louder than words.
Love,
Your Kit Kats coach

sk8er1964

On the Ice
It is very frustrating for a coach to teach someone who isn't practicing between lessons. That's because there will be zero progress, and after all, a coach's job is to help their student to progress.

I think, from what you posted, that your coach doesn't think your heart is into skating. He/she also may not have the time in their schedule for someone who's heart isn't into it.

So, from from what I can see, you need to either prove to your coach that you are interested in practicing, or, if he/she doesn't believe you, get another coach who isn't as stringent in their student's practice habits. Don't expect a lot from that type of coach, though.

Either way, good luck. Skate if you really love it - if you don't, then find something else you love to do.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Do you have more to gain from this coach by sticking with them? If they are highly reputed and you think that being their student will further your skating career (whatever goals you have set for yourself) then stay with it, and give this person what they are looking for. If you just need a coach to help you get through testing, then start shopping for another coach. It all depends on what you want to get out of skating.

I have a coach that was an Olympian and I don't think that he took me seriously when I started with him. At first I was not nearly as addicted as I am now. Then I started to really work, and he told me that I had "grown up" as a skater. I think that he is wonderful. I asked him why he is not as hard on me as his is some of the other skaters that he has. His reply was, "You work when you are on the ice."

I don't know that this will answer any questions, but it may give you another angle. Ultimately, to be successful, you will need to be comfortable with your coach to flourish.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
If you want to stay with this coach, you'll have to go to more practice times. If there are times when you know your coach is there, then make sure that these are the pratices you attend - I think she needs to SEE you practicing, consistantly. At least once per week, make sure that one of your practice times is at a time when she'll be there. Expect it to take a few weeks - building trust once it has been broken can take some time. And even then, she may not completely trust you. You may have to consider finding another coach.

Like others said, some coaches can be really busy. My coach, for example, has people coming up to her in the rink all the time asking if she'll coach them, or coach their kids. She often has to turn them down.

Did you skip any lessons without notice? My coach books back to back lessons. If someone doesn't show up, she doesn't get paid. Worse, she loses the time - time she could have given to one of her other skaters.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
It sounds like you two have hit a roadblock in your relationship as skater and coach. I'd find another coach and start fresh.