Miki Ando- what do you think? | Golden Skate

Miki Ando- what do you think?

figure8fan17

Rinkside
I have been watching the Junior figure skating world recently ( through magazines)
and I was just wondering: Do you think this coming season is the season for Miki Ando? She has certainly proved that she does have talent. But I think what she lacks ( like Sasha Cohen- this is my opinion mind you) is consistency and energy ( She says she does the quad about 60% of the time). Her programs have good choeography, but they lack the spark. Although she chooses ambitious music,when I watch her programs on television, they seem flat, in a way. There is no consistent trademark move that she has as of yet that motivates me to watch her programs ( aka make me look forward to them). What do you think?

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Miki Ando has tremendous jumping ability and basic skating skills. She is very talented. Comparing two years ago her Junior world performance, she made a lot of improvement. Her artistry should come along in the next couple of years.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
For true "rough around the edges" performances, see Fumie Suguri at her first Series Final (can't remember the year; I want to say 97; she kind of lucked in) and Shizuka Arakawa at Nagano. Both of these ladies have come a long way since then and I'm sure Ando will too. The basics are certainly in place.

Fossi

Final Flight
She came onto the senior scene with a bigger "BOOM" than I've seen in a long time!
She has an amazing technical talent, but needs work in the other areas. I think she'll go far. She has already made history as being "The Quad Queen," and I think she'll make even more history in times yet to come.

She's extemely talented with a carload of tricks that bring in big points under the CoP. From what I saw in Dortmund, she has a potential to be a lyrical skater. Putting it all together is not easy for a young one.

She's up against seasoned skaters all with their own personal styles and they are much older and more secure in what they can do. Think old timers like Sasha, Michelle, Irina, Fumie, both Elenas, etc.

I always look at a new season with a LET"S SEE .

(Miki will be a seasoned skater by the 2006 Olys.)

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
She came onto the senior scene with a bigger "BOOM" than I've seen in a long time!
She has an amazing technical talent, but needs work in the other areas. I think she'll go far. She has already made history as being "The Quad Queen," and I think she'll make even more history in times yet to come.

Well Sasha placed 4th at her first Olympics and Worlds. But she bang with her artistry (I rather not say presentatio, since her speed and ice coverage was not upto the level at that time) rather than technical difficulty.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I think Miki has a very nice quality on the ice. She is young and that is evident, but she is really advanced in terms of presentation compared to most skaters in her age bracket. I thought her SP at Worlds this year was beautifully skated and a great overall package. The LP was not as impressive. The music seemed to be far too much for her. I hope next year she chooses something that fits her better for the LP. And, as many have said, I have no doubt that she will only continue to improve. She is already pleasing to watch and she is only 16!

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
figure8fan17 said:
I have been watching the Junior figure skating world recently ( through magazines)
and I was just wondering: Do you think this coming season is the season for Miki Ando? She has certainly proved that she does have talent. But I think what she lacks ( like Sasha Cohen- this is my opinion mind you) is consistency and energy ( She says she does the quad about 60% of the time). Her programs have good choeography, but they lack the spark. Although she chooses ambitious music,when I watch her programs on television, they seem flat, in a way. There is no consistent trademark move that she has as of yet that motivates me to watch her programs ( aka make me look forward to them). What do you think?

In terms of technical skating I think she's an extremely talented girl. And with amazing potential to only be greater. And I have no doubts that she is a major contender in these coming years. I do think however her time will come after Turino. I think she and Mao Asada are going to be leading Japan straight for 2010. Her music has been exceptionally ambitious, particularly last season with The Firebird as her long program. I think those ambitious choices actually hurt her more than help her to be honest. She doesn't have the energy, musicality, and connection with the audience to carry those peices quite yet. When she does I might like her more. For now she is boring for me personally, but I thought Sasha Cohen was boring originally too, but I'm starting appreciate her as of late.

floskate

On the Ice
I think Miki Ando is a superb skater with so much talent and potential it's scary. When you compare video's of her now at 16 to when Arakawa and Suguri were 16, it's amazing how much more developed and polished she is!

Miki's had a bit of a drubbing on the boards and to me I think it's been pretty undeserved. She IS unseasoned, but believe me, when the pieces fit together, she will be one of the outstanding skaters of all times. Seems to me some people are rather fearful of what she might actually acheive! :rolleye:

ETA: To the thread starter - how is she inconsistent? She won 8 out of 9 competitions last season! She only failed to win on her Senior International debut at Worlds. I think 4th was an amazing acheivement. She might have the odd bobble and the Quad isn't that consistent - maybe this is what you meant? - but it's not as if she skates clean one week then brings on the Human Zamboni show the next!! Also when did she last miss her 3z/3r combo? That is a seriously consistent element!!!

Last edited:

John King

Final Flight
With apologies to Toni Basil

(~singing~)

Oh,Miki,you're so fine/you're so fine,you blow my mind!
Hey,Miki!Hey Miki!
Oh,Miki,you're so fine/you're so fine,you blow my mind!
Hey,Miki!Hey,Miki!

boggartlaura said:
I find her slightly less interesting than watching paint dry.

Love your comment. I wish I could say that about many skaters but being a Mod, I would be nailed to the podium. I happen to disagree somewhat with you but I respect your opinion.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In Worlds 2004 Miki definetely got the attention of the judges: she was put 2nd in QR & SP and 4th in FS. That is a huge achievement for a 16 years old skater in her first Worlds competition!

She already has the tricks (and maybe some more!) of all those ladies above her in the Worlds results. What she needs for future is to have consistency and do some polishing in her skating. Also she needs music and choreography that really fit her person and skating style. I wonder if Lea Ann Miller will still be her choreographer next season? If she does, the girl is in excellent hands, in my opinion.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
mzheng said:
Well Sasha placed 4th at her first Olympics and Worlds. But she bang with her artistry (I rather not say presentatio, since her speed and ice coverage was not upto the level at that time) rather than technical difficulty.

True, but Sasha was on the senior scene for two years before she competed at The Olympics and Worlds. She was much more "seasoned" than Miki. I think when Sasha came out the US skating federation was looking for the "next" Tara Lipinski, but they still haven't found her (at least not in the US). The year before Sasha it was NNN that was going to be the "next big think."

Kasey

Medalist
still waiting for her to hit ME with a bang.....she seems extremely talented, technically, and I think she has good enough basics that she can improve over time in presentation and artistry. She's not quite a 'bathroom break' for me right now, but not an edge of the chair with goosebumps skater either! ;)

Kasey

Vash01

Medalist
I see her as a work in progress. I think the comments about her are often a bit unfair, since she did not even skate at the senior level before the 2004 season. She obviously has extraordinary jumping ability, and good basic skills. She does not excite the viewer the way the last great Japanese jumper Midori Ito did. Some skaters are a natural in communicating their feelings to the audience. She is a more introverted skater and she will do well with the right choice of music and choreography. I see her as 2 years away from becoming world championship caliber. She needs to 'discover' herself and then her performance could really take off. I think it is just a matter of time.

Linny

Final Flight
Unfair?

While I'd certainly be kinder than some of the comments about Miki that could be characterized as unfair... well, at her last Junior Worlds Competition, she looked decidely unhappy. It seems a bit disrespectful to just go through the motions of a program.... but that was just my impression.
Linny

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Linny said:
... well, at her last Junior Worlds Competition, she looked decidely unhappy. It seems a bit disrespectful to just go through the motions of a program.... but that was just my impression.
Linny

I have not seen this competition and would be curious to hear how awful were the others if Miki did win with that kind of skating, hmmm...? I understand from results that she won the QR, SP and FS. The judges apparently did not have the same opinion like Linny, LOL?

Marjaana

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
I agree with Linny. At Junior Worlds 2004, Miki seemed to have mailed her performance in. She was so disconnected from the music and rather sloppy. I thought Kimmie and Katy were vital and exciting compared to a dull, bored Miki.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Jaana said:
I have not seen this competition and would be curious to hear how awful were the others if Miki did win with that kind of skating? I understand from results that she won the QR, SP and FS. The judges apparently did not have the same opinion like Linny, LOL?
Jaana, it's all purely opinion. I saw all 3 rounds live and to me, it was Miki and then everybody else. As she proved at Dortmund, Miki could hold her own as a senior, and looked very much in a class of her own against the obviously junior skaters.

The only other skaters who I thought were of any interest were the other two Japanese ladies. I was hoping for a Japanese medals sweep, and I'm from the US.

Team USA was very boring IMHO. Tara clone 1, Tara clone 2 and Tara clone 3. Only the silver medalist seemed like she could be interesting one day. They all seemed overly packaged, but as you can see, US fans are hyping them to the skys all over the internet. Go figure.

Cindy P from Canada was awful IMHO. Not only did she fall all over herself, but I saw none of this future greateness that everyone is hyping her up with. Well, it was just one event and everyone has bad days.

The Europeans were dreadful. Even Viki P who was so good at Euros, was a shaddow of herself. Watered down programs not skated very well, and no spark.