Miki Ando- what do you think? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando- what do you think?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
Do you mean vivacious? Vital means nescessary. How are they vital?

Euterpe is correct. "Vital" can also mean full of life or animated.

Thanks for the info on Jr. Worlds. It seems odd that skaters such as Phaneuf and Pavuk skated so poorly in a Jr. event when they were so awesome at a senior event. I wonder what was up with THAT?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I seem to recall Pavuk was skating with an injury, so that's why she didn't do well.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
Euterpe is correct. "Vital" can also mean full of life or animated.
Sorry Euterpe, I've never heard it used like that before. Guess I gotta start spending time with people who did better on their SATs.
:laugh:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think that Ando has great technical bones: fine jumping technique and edges, wonderfully centered spins with clear positions, and accomplished footwork (ex: mainly one-footed pass with no hesitation into the 3F in the SP). She's not just a jumping bean. That she was a very different skater in the SP in Dortmund -- much more flow and expression than in the LP, where she was heavy and a bit off the music -- makes me think that with experience, her interpretive skills will grow. I think overall she was overrated in Dortmund, where in my opinion there was a lot of revolution counting, but it was also due to a handful of other skaters being markedly underrated in earlier groups. (I would have had her fourth in the first Quali group and SP and seventh in the LP and overall.) Apart from her spiral, there's little to her technique that needs changing, which means she can concentrate on flow and interpretation.

vivitt

Rinkside
Miki is very cute! I love her! :love:
She will do a this season breakthrough now!
Go Miki!!!

lavender

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
still waiting for her to hit ME with a bang.....she seems extremely talented, technically, and I think she has good enough basics that she can improve over time in presentation and artistry. She's not quite a 'bathroom break' for me right now, but not an edge of the chair with goosebumps skater either! ;)

Kasey

ITA. She doesn't come across as interesting on the ice. She has so much talent but I need to see some kind of personality come out when she's on the ice to take interest.

floskate

On the Ice
Linny said:
While I'd certainly be kinder than some of the comments about Miki that could be characterized as unfair... well, at her last Junior Worlds Competition, she looked decidely unhappy. It seems a bit disrespectful to just go through the motions of a program.... but that was just my impression.
Linny

Did you not stop to think of the amount of pressure she was under? Her third time at Junior Worlds and both times she'd bombed in the SP but charged back to win silver and bronze - no such excuse this time. Japan expected her to deliver and thats what she did - enough to win under enormous pressure not to end up 2nd or 3rd again!

rtureck

Final Flight
figure8fan17 said:
I have been watching the Junior figure skating world recently ( through magazines)
and I was just wondering: Do you think this coming season is the season for Miki Ando? ,when I watch her programs on television, they seem flat, in a way. There is no consistent trademark move that she has as of yet that motivates me to watch her programs ( aka make me look forward to them). What do you think?
I think she will only improve if she is injury free. Some skaters look good on tv, and have no presence in real life, Miki is the opposite in that regard.

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, Miki Ondo will be on the World podium within two years. That assumes that she stays injury-free and continues to progress as a jumper and as a performer. She's still a little rough around the edges, artistically speaking, but she has a huge amount of talent. She's going to be a star in the very near future, I think.