Should Sasha put the Biellmen spin in her programs? | Golden Skate

Should Sasha put the Biellmen spin in her programs?

• Yes! She has awesome flexibility- why not use it for something more challenging?

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • No!

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I can't decide

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
No one doubts Sasha's flexibility. IMO she should concentrate on fixing the flutz and getting through the LP without playing Zamboni :D . Is the real question "If Sasha adds another flexbility trick will the judges overlook the flutz and falls?"

bronxgirl

Medalist
Everyone knows she's flexible. She needs to be consistant and to stop flutzing. A Biellman will be just another "gumby" moment in her program. She can do better than that.

Fossi

Final Flight
I picked "don't know" because I don't think Sasha could pull this off. Has she ever done this in a program before?
I know why this question was asked though. Her elements are very predictable and it's time for her to bring some new moves into the mix. Maybe she could try Sarah's 3 turns into the 3loop? I know she was working on the 3loop/3loop last year before Worlds and maybe she could try 3 turns into a 3loop/3loop? That would be amazing!
I don't know though. I just don't think Sasha can pull this difficult stuff off.

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
figure8fan17 said:

I would prefer a biellman over the I spin. However I think Sasha needs to start showing us something besides a flexibility act. I think her flexibility blinds people to other aspects of her skating. But really what I'd like for Sasha the most to do is connect with the audience more. Skate with life and fire like she did at 2004 Worlds sp.

figure8fan17

Rinkside
Sasha Cohen's Biellmen spin

I don't think she has ever done the Biellman spin in a competition before. Maybe she has practiced it, but of course we Sasha admirers do not watch her practice every day so if she has, we haven't seen it. But you're right. Although Sasha's cheorgraphy is different for each program she skates, her elements are predictable. I put this up because I think its interesting to see what the rest of you guys think.

No! absolutely not. The spin belongs in Cirque du Soleil not in figure skating. Sasha has already shown her flexibility, and why kill it with this ugly acrobatic trick?

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I voted "yes" with a restriction: Only if hers will look as impressive as that of Denise Biellmann. Besides, having also a Biellmann spin in her arsenal, brings variety when needed.

Marjaana

Last edited:

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
Jaana said:
I voted "yes" with a restriction: Only if hers will look as impressive as that of Denise Biellmann. Besides, having also a Biellmann spin in her arsenal, brings variety when needed.

Marjaana

Yea -- what you said...

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Yes!

I vote yes. Putting the Biellmen spin in a program would be a good thing for Sasha as per COP.

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
I voted yes, I did like the way her biellman looked on her Swan Lake Program, she did it with only one hand, but I think she did two times only, it looked nice and effortless.

Ximena said:
I voted yes, I did like the way her biellman looked on her Swan Lake Program, she did it with only one hand, but I think she did two times only, it looked nice and effortless.

The one hand hold on the camel is not a bielman spin. It is an artistic pose for the camel spin and in recent years Maria Butryskaya had one of the best.

The bielman spin is one where the skater wrestles to get hold of her skate with both hands and worm her way up to a camel spin. The operative word here is WRESTLE.

I think Sasha has better sense than to stoop to that level.

Joe

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
The one hand hold on the camel is not a bielman spin. It is an artistic pose for the camel spin and in recent years Maria Butryskaya had one of the best.
You're right, it's not a true Biellmann. It's a half-Biellmann. I don't know how COP defines it, though, I'll have to read the protocols and search for that...

jesslily

Final Flight
Sasha does not need to put Biellmen spin in her programs. Her spirals, camel, layback, and Y spins all show her extraordinary extention and flexibility. As a matter of fact all her moves in betweens show her flexibility. She really does not need put in biellmen to verify anything.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Daria Timoshenko does a Biellmann to both sides that would make Biellman proud. No wrestling, no struggle, no wrenching, and no loss of speed as she pulls her leg up. As Mike Meyers might say, "like bud-dah."

qoo

Rinkside
Sasha seems to be able to pull off Biellman spin I think. But I read somewhere doing the spin required you to have very strong back muscle or something like that. So maybe just being flexible won't let you do this spin. Ando used to do Biellman spin a lot in her junior year but she doesn't appear to be that flexible when you see her spiral etc.. But I don't think Sasha needs Biellman spin at all.

Last edited:

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Should Sasha put the Biellmenn spin in her programs?

I honeslty don't care if she has the Biellmenn spin. Sasha still has lots of problems with her skating and needs to concentrate on clean programs :rolleye:

diamond :)