Should Sasha put the Biellmen spin in her programs? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Sasha put the Biellmen spin in her programs?

Should Sasha put the Biellmen spin in her programs?

• Yes! She has awesome flexibility- why not use it for something more challenging?

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • No!

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I can't decide

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

skatepixie

On the Ice
Well, i think they are ugly. I just hate the shape it makes and it just isnt something I like. So, Im goin with no...

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
At first, I thought maybe she should, but there is so many of the ladies doing them that I think she should go with something different.

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Not that I care that much, Sasha isn't my cup of tea....but I say go for it,
use what the skate gods gave you girl!

Matt

On the Ice
Can she??

I voted "I don't know". Sasha definitely has the flexibility for it, and could prolly do one that would put others to absolute shame, but I thought that the whole reason she didn't do one was b/c of the problems she's had with her back. She has done a full Biellmann before: she did one as a MITF at Campbell's in 2004, but that only lasted for that competition. (I think she also did one for "Hernando's Hideaway" but I'm not sure). I really don't think she needs it, though, especially with the Biellmann being so overused by all the women under CoP (Slutskaya....Sebestyen......Timoshenko.....we get it; you can do a Biellmann). If she wants to throw it into one of her programmes to mix up the combination spin, sure; go right ahead, but I don't think it's necessary.

4dogknight

Final Flight
Irina is doing enough Biellmann's for everyone. No need for anyone else to perform the move or variations there of.

4dk

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
4dogknight said:
Irina is doing enough Biellmann's for everyone. No need for anyone else to perform the move or variations there of.

4dk

But...with Irina being a top contender for Worlds as well as possibly the Olympics if Sasha can do it better than Irina then it might be worth it. I don't understand why skaters who cannot get full extension of their leg when attempting the Y or I (BC) spin put them in their program. To me it screams "See how flexible I'm NOT".

Matt

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
Daria Timoshenko does a Biellmann to both sides that would make Biellman proud. No wrestling, no struggle, no wrenching, and no loss of speed as she pulls her leg up. As Mike Meyers might say, "like bud-dah."

Timoshenko is another one who uses the Biellmann WAY too much....her LP when she won Junior Worlds had four Biellmanns, one in each spin combination

Piel, ITA....if you're going to go ahead with one of these fancy spins where your foot is up by your ear or over your head, make sure that you can in fact GET your foot by your ear or above your head. Sasha already does enough to show us how flexible she is and she uses her flexibility wisely; I don't think she needs a Biellmann to reinforce something we already know

Matt

On the Ice
doubleaxelcm said:
Is a Beillmann worth a signifigant amount of points in CoP system?

I don't know what the exact base value assigned to a Biellmann is (if there is one), but it's the easiest way to get your spin/combo spin upgraded to a Level 2 or 3, which is prolly why everybody and their brother is starting to do one

Jhar55

Medalist
She already has some beatiful spins, maybe she should work on other areas where she's lacking / needs imporvement.

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
Peggy said:
I don't want her to hurt her back either but I agree it would be awesome if she did one.

No hands in this picture so I think she is flexable enough.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...tent/events/200304/campbellsclassic/pics1.htm

Peggy:
The cameraperson happened to take that picture when she was finishing a movement ( I'm assuming it was the "beillmann spiral" the she had at Campbells 2003) not of the movement itself.

I vote "no". Sasha has enough flexibility elements in her arsenal. Why add another. ( Bring back the Sasha curl!)

Peggy

On the Ice
aviva_dawn said:
Peggy:
The cameraperson happened to take that picture when she was finishing a movement ( I'm assuming it was the "beillmann spiral" the she had at Campbells 2003) not of the movement itself.
( Bring back the Sasha curl!)

Lucy25 also said the same thing but Chuckm was at Campbells when she did this move and said she was not holding her leg. I wish i had that tape so i could check it myself but it doesn't look like she was holding her leg.

Golden skate Romeo and Juliet thread-comment #12

[QUOTE: Chuckm ] No, I remember her doing this. This was from the Campbell's competition, which I saw live. The upward arms are supposed to be "wings".
TT's "Swan Lake" program underwent many changes after Campbell's.

I, too, would like to see the tape of that move, to see how it came about. That position just defies the laws of physics.:love:

Courtneysk8s

Match Penalty
I am almost positive that that much talked about photo was taken at the end of a catch-foot spiral or some similar pose, she did NOT lift her leg up their and hold it like that without the use of her hands.

Peggy

On the Ice
Courtneysk8s said:
I am almost positive that that much talked about photo was taken at the end of a catch-foot spiral or some similar pose, she did NOT lift her leg up their and hold it like that without the use of her hands.

Do You have a tape of Campbells 03?

patsue1947

Rinkside
Oh my God NO!! We already have the BC--truly one of the ugliest moves ever devised by a skater. The only Biellman I even half-way liked was the originator of the spin, and even then, I didn't care for it very much. Everyone knows Sasha is flexible-- but she will probably add it because Irina has had great success with the spin this year under cop.

ditzysk8r

Rinkside
I think the Biellmann would be beautiful on Sasha because her back is so flexible, so she could do it better than anyone else!