Why so many camel spin variations? | Golden Skate

Why so many camel spin variations?

Arwen17

Final Flight
ok, so I'm wondering, what is considered a "correct" camel spin position? Right now, I get about 2 revolutions regularly, up to 4-5 revolutions occasionally when I hit it right, doing what I think is considered a standard camel position aka shoulders/chest mostly parallel with the ice and arms back but still out to the side of the body. AKA the way this guy does his camel spins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dLvRw8peYA

But then you'll see people who slant their body more sideways, or clasp their hands behind their back while doing a camel, or rest their left hand on their left leg while spinning! Are these more advanced versions that just happen once you've really mastered a camel? Or are these something else? Can everyone learn them or do we all have our own special "balance point" or "position" that we have to stick to? A lot of the advice on getting camel spins to be better, aka faster and more rotations etc, seems to be "everyone is different, you just have to try different things until you find the perfect entrance and body position while spinning."

Personally I really like the way the spin looks when the left hand is resting on the left leg OR they've got their hands clasped behind their back.

Last edited:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think there is one completely "correct" camel spin position. Nor is there one completely correct sit spin position.
They all have variations, although some are more aesthetically pleasing then others; maybe even a matter of preference.

One thing I think most observers would agree on is that from the lower back to the outstretched leg there should be a good body line. No butt sticking up.
And personally, i don't like the kind of camel spin where the body is slanted sideways as I find it makes the skater look like they are forcing the spin to happen. I too like the hand resting on the leg as it makes the skater look relaxed and confident.

gkelly

Record Breaker
The only thing that's required is that the free foot be at least as high as your hips/butt.

Otherwise, whatever works for you to get the rotations should be fine. If it looks good on your body, all the better.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
I think it's more a matter of individual preference, flexibility, and body type. Similar to a spiral -- what looks good on one person may not look good on another person, and each skater has different muscle groups that they're stronger with or more stable with relative to other skaters. Hence each skater eventually their own style or "look", rather than this being a skill with a regimented and uniform posture.