4CC 2017, horrible video shooting? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

4CC 2017, horrible video shooting?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The camera work on the death spirals was especially bad. In at least one case, they kept moving the camera from side to side, as the lady went around. It was nausea-inducing. It's like they've never seen a death spiral before, and were surprised when she reappeared on the other side of her partner.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The camera work on the death spirals was especially bad. In at least one case, they kept moving the camera from side to side, as the lady went around. It was nausea-inducing. It's like they've never seen a death spiral before, and were surprised when she reappeared on the other side of her partner.
They did that at Euros too, constantly, for solo skaters performing spins... the camera moved rapidly side to side, following the skater's head as they spun -_- Beyond belief.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I join the complains. Actually I havent even bothered to watch the complete MEns or Ladies LP coverage because the footage from Dance and Pairs and the singles short programs was so annoying. I screamed everytime a biellman spin was zoomed .

What can we do about it other than flooding social media??

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Oh yes ... it drives you crazy. Thanks for pointing that out. It's like they never watched figure skating before and just order random person to conduct shooting / choosing camera feed with these people "having fun" playing with random use of every available option like 5-years old kids.

How / where you can send complains to let them know? :scratch2:

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Let us hope this team isnt sent to worlds for more practice!
It is odd that at an Oly test event, there werent advisors showing the crew how things are done.
If one is a good camera person, then you still need to be shown how to film skaters. But it is not particulary hard to do with a bit of instruction.
So say 4 camera folk are filming the event. And doing their job.
The hardest job is the person chosing which camera to show on TV at any given moment. And that takes lots of practice.
When an event like the Olys is being shown all over the world, It will be interesting to see how many camera teams they can cram in and where they come from.....
I would hate to come to the Olys as a tech with all the cameras and whatnot. What voltage and what kinds of AC sockets will you have to deal with? Think of all the cabling
and all the countries who will be buying your feed.....??? And dealing with the camera folk from other countries next to you in nice ways? Maybe some of our fans that go to worlds can see the writing on the cameras and ask the camera folk where they are from....

TGee

Record Breaker
Seriously, my spouse looked at the feed from the first day, as he heard me whinging, and mused if there were some cultural differences or context at play in terms of avoiding showing the skaters' feet.....

Since none of the folks from Korea on GS had mentioned such a thing, I said that I thought that it was just an inexperienced team which is surprising given Yuna's impact and popularity.

And then we both noticed that on the second day we were shown images of feet and legs below the knees, but not with upper bodies attached.:scratch2:

Last edited: