2017 4CCs Pairs Recap | Golden Skate

2017 4CCs Pairs Recap

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Wenjing Sui and Cong Han had to withdraw from their Grand Prix events earlier this season as she was still recovering from surgery, not many would have believed that they could come back so strong. However, the Chinese team, proved that they are back in action and ready to challenge anyone after claiming their fourth Four Continents title.

More

"First of all, I am lucky to be back," Sui said. She felt that the free program is telling their own story.
"This season we're having a little bit of a hard time finding our groove, very similar to last season," said Duhamel. "It's part of our journey.

"It is very exciting for me to win the medal for the country which I love the most and which I am passionate about," Ilyushechkina commented.

"Today we didn't show our best skating," Zhang observed. "We included the quad twist for the first time in competition.

"This was our best performance in competition so far and we got a personal best score," said Jin.

"I think it feels different, I really do," said Scimeca Knierim, "and I think it might have to do with everything we've been through this year with my illness.

What are your thoughts on the pairs event?

QuadThrow

Medalist
Duhamel/Radford continue to look terrible.

Sui/Han looked terrific!

D/R free skate does not really work even if they go clean.

Their chances to get Gold in Helsinki are very small because they will lose some points in the short to T/M and S/H and they are hardly able to skate the best FS like they did last year.

And noone will be able to beat S/M with their superb programs if these two go clean. But this means that the show a clean 3ATh what they have not done yet.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
But why do Duhamel and Radford care about their placements? I thought that they "no longer seek success from medals, from results and from that type of glory." They're just skating for fun. :p

And where in this tweet above did she refer to their placement? D&R have not won 4CC's in several seasons now....they have other goals.

Haters gotta hate! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
And where in this tweet above did she refer to their placement? D&R have not won 4CC's in several seasons now....they have other goals.

Haters gotta hate! :sarcasm:

It doesn't matter what their placements are in 4CC or World or Olympics. They're just skating for fun woo woo

Oh, maybe it's not so fun now that Sui and Han have seriously improved their skating, who knows

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Your lack of respect for the 2 time world champions, pales in comparison to your ability to repeat yourself.

brightphoton

Medalist
Too bad you don't have the same attitude as your Canadian pairs. You shouldn't seek success and glory from medals and results :p

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It was good event, but not as good as the European one. All three medalists there had great skates. Here, not so much, only Peng/Jin had clean FS programand they had not ended up in medal position. A little dissapointed at other teams. Generally, I'm very happy for both S/H and SK/K that had more or less succesfully returned to competition, they were missed during GP series :)

Ok, who am I kidding, I'm thrilled for S/H :love: And I'm very happy for Liubov and Dylan, but I think they should score higher on Free Program alone than Duhamel/Radford (yes, I know D/R had visibly higher BV). They skated much better performance wise, but it was not reflected on PCS. Maybe with time judges will be less conservative. And I'm happy for good outing of Aussie team. They need to work on performance aspect of program a lot, but technically, they're not behind other teams. Great potential from this young team :)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Too bad you don't have the same attitude as your Canadian pairs. You shouldn't seek success and glory from medals and results :p

This is a nice sentiment however, it doesn't hold water. Skaters can skate for "FUN" at exhibitions and shows. Sponsors give money to skaters who make the podium! That's how they get their products into the public eye. When these skaters show up to their press conference wearing a certain pair of shoes or sweats, it's not by accident. You'll notice sometimes in the Kiss n Cry, that skaters will grab their jackets and put them on, there's a good chance that those jackets were given to them by sponsors. I imagine that ice time is paid for by sponsors, or the rink itself. When I skated, we used to work at the concession stand to pay for our lessons. I remember doing loads of towels on Sundays and even polishing skates for the rink to help pay for travel to our events.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
So thrilled to see S/H compete again. Mindblowing that this is their first competition of the season coming back from that surgery on both feet. I'm still inclined to think T/M may win worlds(b/c sbs 3s, lol), but obviously would love to see both S/H skate both programs clean. Very excited for worlds, and hopefully everyone is recovered and ready to go!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
it was GREAT pairs event, so many highlights!

Sui/Han are back, and boy that was some comeback! Great programs, better than before in so many areas, and they just feel so exciting to watch:love:

Knierims are back!!!:cheer:, their SP brought me to tears, the doze of sugary sweetness in their programs this year could kill, but I don't care - they are so truly affectionate to each other it's fantastic!

Lubov and Dylan medaled!!!:hap57:, so over the moon for them, after all this struggle!

Peng/Jin - what a comeback with FS!

overall, so many teams were enjoyable!

sammyott

Rinkside
Biggest highlight for me was S/H's SP. I thought I loved there SP last year, but this year is better in my opinion. So unique and really suits them. Especially Sui.