Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back To Work I Go!....... | Golden Skate

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back To Work I Go!.......

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well, this is my last weekend of summer vacation. This coming Wednesday, it's back to work for me with staff meetings and such....the "little ones" start classes on Monday the 23rd.........anyone else starting back to work? 42

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I went back Thursday, and the students come on Tuesday. *sigh* And I taught summer school, so I didn't get much of a break.... :(

Am I ready for Tuesday? :eek: Guess not, lol. I have five sections of freshman English and one section of British Lit, a senior college prep class. Should be a nice break from the freshmen. :p

Laura :)

Mine doesn't start till after Labor Day. I will be teaching Discrete Mathematics for prospective High School teachers. This course is always a struggle because there is a continuing argument between the College of Education and the College of Science as to what these courses should entail. The Mathematics Department pushes the idea that a math major is a math major, and then after that you can take your degree and go into teaching, or whatever vocation you wish to pursue.

The College of Education fells that the content area needs of secondary education majors are different from those of students in the engineering cirriculum, or prospective physicists, or computer science majors.

The College of Science counters that this is just an excuse for watering down the content.

So the upshot is, I get a lot of students in my class who want to argue about educational philosophy and pedagogical methods instead of learning mathematics.

Oh, well.

Mathman

bronxgirl

Medalist
That brings back painful memories of my days as a TA for Molecular Biology (required for all Bio majors and therefore for the pre-meds).

True story - my friend and I (as the 2 TAs) got to write a question for the exam based on the scientific articles assigned. One week, we both asked our classes the same question, and it was clear no one as usual had read the article. We refused to go over the article any further, explaining that we knew how to read the literature, they had to learn how. When we wrote the question, it was clear, that no one had gone back to read that article except for one student who gushed at us as she left "I knew you would ask these questions, I knew!". You'd think a gift of 10 points out of a 100 point test might have made a little impact on them, but no... :eek:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Ah Princess.........British Lit, my favorite English class in college, that and the class I took on the works of Jane Austen..........I have twenty second graders to look forward to, 9 girls and 11 boys.......gotta love them........ :love: 42

Show, that's cool that you have such a nice class size. Here we have to struggle to get classes down to 33 or 34.

MM

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My first twenty years or so of teaching, I had classes between 32 and 34 students, in a classroom without air conditioning. The temperature in the valley can and does easily top 100 degrees in May, June, Aug, Sept, and sometimes part of October.........42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Well, this is my last weekend of summer vacation. This coming Wednesday, it's back to work for me with staff meetings and such....the "little ones" start classes on Monday the 23rd.........anyone else starting back to work? 42

I never had any holidays...I have been slugging out books since June for the new and returning students for the Fall semester. Four more weeks to go...Oh my aching back!!

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Hey Mathman,

Mathematics for elementary educators was the most rewarding class I took in college!!! I had to take 4 semesters of math for my degree, 2 were of my choice and 2 were required to be based in instruction and best practices for future teachers.

The most interesting thing we learned was different methods used for +-X and / around the world. We examined the way the egyptians, chinese and brittish students are taught to perform the various functions and it was very interesting to see different variations on the same function. It helped me get a stronger grasp on the relationship of numbers to be able to see a different perspective like that. It was just a small part of the class, but I feel like it really helped me to improve in math overall.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
AAAAAIIIEEEEEEEEE!!! School started today. Several of my freshmen looked like Show's second graders, and others needed to shave their five o'clock shadows at noon! I've never seen such a huge disparity. Especially when they sit next to each other. (Laura steps aside to adjust seating charts...)

And in my Brit Lit class, I have four football players who signed up for the class because until two weeks ago, a football coach was teaching it. When I said "No late papers," they whined, "But that's not what Coach said." Well, he isn't teaching the class now is he? Was I mean? :laugh: I mean, it IS a college prep class, and I've never had a professor take a late paper.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Whoa Princess, the first day is always the toughest and feels like twenty-four hours long......mine's on Monday...wish me luck!!!! 42

serenity

On the Ice
In a week I go back to work with the preschoolers. Messy art work, little fits, toys everywhere for me to pick up while they watch. The pay check is what gets me through the hard times and going home to no children. :love:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Besides that cruise I took in June, I did absolutely nothing of interest or merit this summer vacationwise. It was work, work, work. I don't really want RG Jr. to go back to school, however. I liked her 10-4 summer camp schedule (better than the 8-2:30 during the school year) and I enjoyed our mornings together, especially on swim team practice days (5:30 a.m.!!!). I like the laid back schedule for the family--no homework, no frantic afternoon rush to lessons, swim practice. I am, however, glad that after 2 years of being PTA President, I've handed off that job to someone else! I enjoyed it--but I'm glad I don't have to do it this year!

Edited to add: I don't want it to appear as though I needed more vacation time than a 7 day cruise--so let me qualify the above by mentioning that I pretty much worked seven days a week for the rest of the summer! :D

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
PrincessLeppard said:
Am I ready for Tuesday? :eek: Guess not, lol. I have five sections of freshman English and one section of British Lit, a senior college prep class. Should be a nice break from the freshmen. :p

I got a new teaching job just this past Tuesday! I got a call for the interview, went in, was hired the next day, then started with students the following day (yesterday)! It has been quite a stressful past three days, to say the least. I have taught middle school English for the past six years, but have switched to high school this year. I now teach three sections of freshman English and two junior British Lit. It is a college prep school, so the students expect lots of work. Maybe we can trade lesson plan ideas! :laugh: I have never begun school so early in all my life (Aug 18th). I am at an all boys school and I am not really looking forward to reading Jane Austin with them! :laugh:

Last edited:

Mr.D

Rinkside
eeeek....yes. i'm enjoying my last weekend of freedom now. We go in for teacher institute meetings on Monday...a work day on Tuesday, then the kiddies come back on Wednesday. <sigh>...it always seems to be during the last week that all of sudden I realize that there's so much junk i didn't do over the summer. :eek:

But that said...I think this year will be fun. Enrollment in the choir program has jumped by about 15 students this year, which is great. And I got a (relative) ton of freshman enrolled...last year, there were about 10 or so freshmen that joined the program...this year there are 25! Not too shabby, considering that the director at my feeder junior high was a witch and made the kids hate it. Recruitment is such a wonderful tool!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Lucy, best of luck to you! I would be happy to help any way I can! I moved from middle school to high school and the biggest change you will notice is the maturity level of the 9th grade kids. They are still squirrely, but not even close to the level of squirrely that they were just three months ago.

My freshmen are doing grammar this week, then we will do a practice state writing exam, then we go into short stories and the elements of fiction. Brit Lit kids are going right into Beowulf.

Mr.D, I hate when a previous teacher of your subject poisons the kids. You spend half your time trying to break that misconception! Urg.

Mr.D

Rinkside
Thanks Princess :D Yes, the director at the junior definitely wasn't a help, but she's been let go, so hopefully the new person will have a more positive impact on the kids.

And THANK YOU for taking the time to teach your students proper grammar! I'm sure you know how many students are out there that don't speak or write correctly...I find myself correcting my students a lot! :laugh:

Mr.D

Rinkside
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!! When i wake up tomorrow, it'll be to go to work!! But at least it's only for teacher institute beginning-of-the-year meetings tomorrow.

Tonight I've got sort of 'if I don't go to sleep maybe it won't come as soon' vibe going on...but I'm sure that lots of people have that on Sunday nights. :) Good luck everyone!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, I've survived the first week back at school, plus "Back To School Night" for parents.........now two days off before I start all over again.....oh well.....42

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I ended my second week. Last night, fell asleep sometime between 9:30 and 10, with the light on. Woke up when the alarm went off this morning with a giant book imprint on my face. :p

I should be better next week.