Who knew Astor Piazzolla was so popular? | Golden Skate

Who knew Astor Piazzolla was so popular?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Yeah, yeah. Hi and all that.
Welcome to my first ever thread. Ta Da!

I decided to do some very in depth research and come up with some numbers on who skated to what at Europeans and 4CCs. So with out further ado:

Artist/Composers

Piazzolla, Astor: 10 programs used his music (but it seemed a very wide variety of his music)
Josh Groban: 7
Prince: 5
Celine Dion: 5
Chopin: 5
Elvis: 5
Michael Jackson: 4
Michael Buble: 4
Tchaikovsky: 4
Adele: 4
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: 3
Beatles: 3
Christina Aguilera:3
Sam Smith: 3

Songs/Soundtracks
Les Mis:4
Malagueña: 4
Carmina Burana: 4
I Put a Spell on You: 4
Skyfall: 4
Nutcracker: 4
Mission Impossible: 3
You Raise me up: 3
Hallelujah: 3
Purple Rain: 3
Sherlock Soundtrack: 3
Feeling Good: 3

There might be more because some of the dance teams do not have their short dance music listed and I'll have to go listen to the videos to figure it out.

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Piazzolla's always been very popular, since he's composed seemingly millions of pieces (lots of tangos) and they're all very lovely.

None of the numbers really surprise me, but I've never even heard of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy... What did they sing?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Piazzolla's always been very popular, since he's composed seemingly millions of pieces (lots of tangos) and they're all very lovely.

None of the numbers really surprise me, but I've never even heard of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy... What did they sing?

Big Bad VooDoo Daddy was very popular in the 90's early 00's during the "swing revival" in music. Go Daddy-O is one of their most popular songs and is widely used in Ice dance esp during swing SD's a few years back.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

Tangos are insanely popular this year. So is Bond OST stuff: There were 9 Bond related pieces of music used. I am going to go back and deal with the Tango problem because I'm going to have to listen to a lot of the music because some of it is actually these weird mixes that end up with a tango like sound.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Tangos are insanely popular this year. So is Bond OST stuff: There were 9 Bond related pieces of music used. I am going to go back and deal with the Tango problem because I'm going to have to listen to a lot of the music because some of it is actually these weird mixes that end up with a tango like sound.

I don't mind at all, I love tangos. The Gilles/Poirier tango is my favourite free dance of the year to watch.
I believe the Argentine Tango is the requirement for next year's short dance, right? So we're going to have to watch a lot more of those before the current cycle is over.

The Bond stuff though, I could do without- especially Sam Smith, who is not my cup of tea.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I don't mind at all, I love tangos. The Gilles/Poirier tango is my favourite free dance of the year to watch.
I believe the Argentine Tango is the requirement for next year's short dance, right? So we're going to have to watch a lot more of those before the current cycle is over.

The Bond stuff though, I could do without- especially Sam Smith, who is not my cup of tea.

Mine too. I love G/P's tango. I actually like all the ID tangos this year.

Next year is the Rhumba! Same as 2012 apparently... and 2006 at Torino..which was the big splatfest. The Dance of Love.

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Except lets hope not with the Shibs. :drama:

I still see this being V/M's ace in the hole. Could they have gotten a better SD theme? Nope, I don't think so.

The Shibs will have to be... Creative. Perhaps they could portray siblings who decide to take rhumba classes together as a means of staying fit? :laugh2:

Yes, V/M couldn't have gotten a better theme. P/C will need a fantastic free program next year to contend for the gold, since I can't imagine them being ahead after the short.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The Shibs will have to be... Creative. Perhaps they could portray siblings who decide to take rhumba classes together as a means of staying fit? :laugh2:

Yes, V/M couldn't have gotten a better theme. P/C will need a fantastic free program next year to contend for the gold, since I can't imagine them being ahead after the short.

They managed in 2012 so they do have some experience with it. I'm probably not giving them or their team enough credit.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
hi hi ;)

what makes piazzolla popular : piazzolla ;) He found a way to take a folk style of music (Argentine Tango/Milongas) and crafted superbly well his pieces, in a classical music style, which has made it possible for everyone to arrange it.... You get them for piano, for orchestra, for bands, the possibilities are infinite. I have played a few of his pieces and they are so much fun to play and always crowd pleasers . So I guess that his popularity in the musical circle is now reaching figure skating.... However, I hope that some skaters will be a bit more original and that it won't become an automatic warhorse option to go through as a developing skater. For ice dance, of course, it makes much more sense to me. Here is the first Piazzolla piece I have ever played... it's not used much in figure skating I think... or is it?

Next year... Rhumba!!! Woot!! I cannot wait to see Weapo bringing sexy back!!!! I just hope we won't get that song over and over

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Only 4 Bubles & 4 "I Put a Spell on You". I could bet that there were like 10 cases of each, lol. Or maybe this and past season melted into one in my memory. Either way ... does anyone know why "I Put a Spell on You" is so nauseatingly popular?

Barb

Record Breaker
I love Piazzolla and Chopin, I understand to the skaters choosing them, but why so much obsession with Celine Dion? :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
hi hi ;)

what makes piazzolla popular : piazzolla ;) He found a way to take a folk style of music (Argentine Tango/Milongas) and crafted superbly well his pieces, in a classical music style, which has made it possible for everyone to arrange it.... You get them for piano, for orchestra, for bands, the possibilities are infinite. I have played a few of his pieces and they are so much fun to play and always crowd pleasers . So I guess that his popularity in the musical circle is now reaching figure skating.... However, I hope that some skaters will be a bit more original and that it won't become an automatic warhorse option to go through as a developing skater. For ice dance, of course, it makes much more sense to me. Here is the first Piazzolla piece I have ever played... it's not used much in figure skating I think... or is it?

Totally agree with your analysis of Piazzolla. I have so many go-to versions of Adios Nonino that I listen to and never get tired of, and somehow I find them uniquely fast-paced but melancholy at the same time, which is a rare and fine line. Yuna Kim's choreography in 2014 debatably left a lot to be desired, but her music is by far my favorite version of that song. It had a much darker, mysterious overtone to begin, and then it repeats the iconic phrase at the end--it gives me chills every time I listen to it.

On another note, "I Put a Spell on You" is by far the most horrible choice of music imaginable to skate to, and I hope nobody picks it for the Olympic season.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Only 4 Bubles & 4 "I Put a Spell on You". I could bet that there were like 10 cases of each, lol. Or maybe this and past season melted into one in my memory. Either way ... does anyone know why "I Put a Spell on You" is so nauseatingly popular?

5 words: 50 Shades of Gray Soundtrack! :laugh:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I actually didn't mind Stolbova's portrayal of the girl who "put a spell on you"- if anyone was meant to skate to that it was probably her. :laugh:
But yes, I would love a ban on that song, Celine Dion, and Michael Buble for next season. I mean, I love them both but even the best things get tiresome.

I'm pretty sure about half the field will be skating to La La Land, though. :laugh2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We seem to have had an upswing in "Singin' in the Rain" programs this season too, not sure why. Brendan, Jinseo, Keegan, and the junior Russian pair.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
5 words: 50 Shades of Gray Soundtrack! :laugh:

Ok. It explains something I guess :laugh: Luckily I have not watched this movie!

I actually didn't mind Stolbova's portrayal of the girl who "put a spell on you"- if anyone was meant to skate to that it was probably her. :laugh:
But yes, I would love a ban on that song, Celine Dion, and Michael Buble for next season. I mean, I love them both but even the best things get tiresome.

I'm pretty sure about half the field will be skating to La La Land, though. :laugh2:

Stolbova / Klimov ''I put a Spell on You'' was awesome actually, that was still before I got fed up with music though.

Last edited: