SD Music Choices for the Olympic Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

SD Music Choices for the Olympic Season

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just found a playlist of salsa and rhumba music and am intrigued that Sia's Chandelier is on the list. Perhaps for Chock & Bates since he can really whirl her around.

https://youtu.be/NQErW8u_wbw

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Just found a playlist of salsa and rhumba music and am intrigued that Sia's Chandelier is on the list. Perhaps for Chock & Bates since he can really whirl her around.

https://youtu.be/NQErW8u_wbw

Everything but not Sia, please. I hate her voice, music, image everything. :noshake: I'd prefer 10 Jennifer Lopez songs over 1 from Sia anytime. At least she sung some of my guilty pleasures :biggrin:

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
I would say Cha Cha only but if you are really stretching it.

Hmm.. its just that ice dance rhumba and rhumba as its done in latin dance are two completely different things. Its one of the reasons I sometimes find this pattern infuriating to watch.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Any recent news about SD music choices beside the Spanish team? A song by Santana! Their choice sounds awesome anyway.

Sara Hurtado / Kirill Khalyavin are skating to a Carlos Santana Song for the SD.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Hope the Shibs do something comedic.

my hope/wish for Maia and Alex is definitely something modern, fresh and 'street dance' like, nothing too 'overchoreographed', more natural and flowy instead of dramatic faces, striking some sensual poses - more like enjoying great music, Latin flow and themselves on ice. I already expressed that a good choice would be e.g. Orishas medley.

But, looking in more 'challenging' way - teams who would like to go more unorthodox, modern way could use for example Drake's 'One dance' as second rhythm chosen to Rhumba, or something for Rihanna ('Only girl (in the world)' could be used as Cha-cha-cha rhythm).

And in all honesty - I won't be surprised if some team will use 'Shape of you' (Ed Sheeran) as a music for second rhythm for Rhumba :laugh:, but such 'experiments' have to be handled with good taste and proportion, definitely inside of team's aesthetics they're feeling comfortable in.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
my hope/wish for Maia and Alex is definitely something modern, fresh and 'street dance' like, nothing too 'overchoreographed', more natural and flowy instead of dramatic faces, striking some sensual poses - more like enjoying great music, Latin flow and themselves on ice. I already expressed that a good choice would be e.g. Orishas medley.

But, looking in more 'challenging' way - teams who would like to go more unorthodox, modern way could use for example Drake's 'One dance' as second rhythm chosen to Rhumba, or something for Rihanna ('Only girl (in the world)' could be used as Cha-cha-cha rhythm).

And in all honesty - I won't be surprised if some team will use 'Shape of you' (Ed Sheeran) as a music for second rhythm for Rhumba :laugh:, but such 'experiments' have to be handled with good taste and proportion, definitely inside of team's aesthetics they're feeling comfortable in.

I agree, and "Shape of You" actually works, but I wouldn't say as a Rumba! ;)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I agree, and "Shape of You" actually works, but I wouldn't say as a Rumba! ;)

:), yes, I meant 'Shape of you' used as a second rhythm aside of compulsory Rhumba, in general the key to make those modern Latin SDs work will be good matching of songs, smart choreography and feeling comfortable with such aesthetic.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Hope the Shibs do something comedic.

Oh, I really hope they don't :/ No offense of course, but Hundreds of millions will be watching, they won't benefit from it.
I agree with the light, "streetdance" style though :)

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I am disappointed that ISU didn't pick Tango for the SD. We may all remember the fiasco from 2006, but the SD in 2012 wasn't great either (thanks to V/M and Weapo for pulling that one off though, they were great).
FS isn't the most popular sport, but a enormous amount of people watch it during the olympics and I'm afraid that it will look just awkward.
Choreographers, get your **** together. And skaters if the costumes is 3+ colors, GET RID OF IT ASAP.
And yet I know I might have a lot of fun watching it :laugh2:

My "Choices" :

V/M : something festive, upbeat, pop.
P/C : something Cuban
Shibsibs : something with a street flare on it (with a nice concept maybe?)
W/P : something upbeat too (don't do a "love" rumba please)
B/S : Samba, ballroom style
C/L : I'd like to see a nice, joyful salsa
G/P : I just have NO IDEA, they're gonna come with something unexpected written at the very end of the ISU rules that no one noticed :rofl:
H/D : Samba, upbeat too. I expect them to do a romantic FD, so not something too slow

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I am disappointed that ISU didn't pick Tango for the SD. We may all remember the fiasco from 2006, but the SD in 2012 wasn't great either (thanks to V/M and Weapo for pulling that one off though, they were great).

I watched through the SD routines at 2012 Worlds in a long time, and surprisingly I enjoyed a lot much. I wasn't initially happy about the announcement, but change my mind that this could uplift the atmosphere in the Olympic season. IMO, Cappellini and Lanotte pulled it off pretty well too there and Anna's dress is just wow! One of the best dresses on that night IMO along with Kaitlin's hot hot golden leopard dress. :)

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I watched through the SD routines at 2012 Worlds in a long time, and surprisingly I enjoyed a lot much. I wasn't initially happy about the announcement, but change my mind that this could uplift the atmosphere in the Olympic season. IMO, Cappellini and Lanotte pulled it off pretty well too there and Anna's dress is just wow! One of the best dresses on that night IMO along with Kaitlin's hot hot golden leopard dress. :)

for me, regarding 2012 SDs the most 'wow factor' had Kaitlyn and Andrew and Anna and Luca for me; Tessa and Scott - although a class on the field, great entertainers - left me a little disappointed...I enjoyed very much also Nathalie and Fabian - their SD was very in character of Brasilian samba, authentic and sophisticated in reception.

This upcoming season I expect and hope mostly for originality in musical choices, some ususual, fresh combos of rhythms paired with flowy musical transitions, beautiful dresses for ladies (or maybe there will be some catsuits?!) and dashing attire for men, lots of vibrance, energy and attack (and that Piper and Paul will outplay them all in their own originality/quirk game once again:love:)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
for me, regarding 2012 SDs the most 'wow factor' had Kaitlyn and Andrew and Anna and Luca for me; Tessa and Scott - although a class on the field, great entertainers - left me a little disappointed...I enjoyed very much also Nathalie and Fabian - their SD was very in character of Brasilian samba, authentic and sophisticated in reception.

This upcoming season I expect and hope mostly for originality in musical choices, some ususual, fresh combos of rhythms paired with flowy musical transitions, beautiful dresses for ladies (or maybe there will be some catsuits?!) and dashing attire for men, lots of vibrance, energy and attack (and that Piper and Paul will outplay them all in their own originality/quirk game once again:love:)

I totally agree with every points you raised. While I liked Tessa and Scott's SD at Nice and agree that they were in the league of their own, I also felt it didn't surpass their FD version which made me start appreciating their skating and liking them. I was a big fan of Delobel and Schoenfelder and mildly a fan of other European teams (also liked Domina and Shabalin except the dreadful OD at Vancouver), so I had virtually no room in mind for accepting any American or Canadian team until my favorite retired after Vancouver. The sensual and provocative Hip Hip Chin Chin FD finally blew me away and her golden cocktail dress was just mind-boggling. :love: While Anna and Luca have been criticized for their repetitive routines, this SD at 2012 Worlds was sensational. I thought they were underrated at that time and rewatching the routine reaffirmed my thought. I always loved watching unique and unconventional routines from Nathalie and Fabian. I overjoyed over their first World medal at that time, but I feel Weaver and Poje were really docked on their scores because they were the No. 2 Canadian team.

I would be delighted if a lot of hot and fun SD routines are made next season. I hope your wishes come true. :)

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I totally agree with every points you raised. While I liked Tessa and Scott's SD at Nice and agree that they were in the league of their own, I also felt it didn't surpass their FD version which made me start appreciating their skating and liking them. I was a big fan of Delobel and Schoenfelder and mildly a fan of other European teams (also liked Domina and Shabalin except the dreadful OD at Vancouver), so I had virtually no room in mind for accepting any American or Canadian team until my favorite retired after Vancouver. The sensual and provocative Hip Hip Chin Chin FD finally blew me away and her golden cocktail dress was just mind-boggling. :love: While Anna and Luca have been criticized for their repetitive routines, this SD at 2012 Worlds was sensational. I thought they were underrated at that time and rewatching the routine reaffirmed my thought. I always loved watching unique and unconventional routines from Nathalie and Fabian. I overjoyed over their first World medal at that time, but I feel Weaver and Poje were really docked on their scores because they were the No. 2 Canadian team.

I would be delighted if a lot of hot and fun SD routines are made next season. I hope your wishes come true. :)

:):ghug:

despite some criticism/disappointment about Rhumba pattern and Latin theme chosen for Olympic season upcoming faster and faster, I'm really looking forward to see all team in that particular aesthetic which can be painfully litteral, but could be also very fresh, hip and modern or oozing sensuality, fun, happiness while done smartly, with right idea for right team.

I am especially interested not only how top teams will cope with the theme/pattern incorporation into actual program, how they'll mix rhythms, play out musical choices, costumes, whole attitude, but I'm even more curious/excited how younger teams/those less 'successful' will present themselves. From the very top I'm excited about Gabriella/Guillaume in particular - they are very specific in their SD choices, individual and their own 'brand of sophisticated' in comparison to all field I feel; it could not suit well for all, but the dance is always very 'theirs' which I really appreciate, regardless of the results. And for me, they are not typical cheeky, 'out-there', loud and vibrant Latin, sure it will be interesting how they'll present the theme.

Regarding those 'less successful' teams, I'm really excited about Alexandra/Ivan, Piper/Paul and Kaitlyn/Jean-Luc, also young Americans: Lorraine/Quinn and Parsons siblings. I think that this Latin aesthetic could be a great opportunity for all those teams to show off their skills, best qualitites, level of chemistry they have between each other in very different style they are associated with usually. There's quite a big room to play and 'experiment' I feel - some could go more traditional, effective, 'showy' ballroom Latin aesthetic, mixing Rhumba with Cha-cha-cha or Samba, some could go more 'experimental' route, using street dance, Brasilian/Cuban carnival/fiesta vibe as an aesthetic to lead out the dance, thowing together Rhumba and Salsa or Merengue, Bachata, making the dance more or less sensual, 'Latin organic', closer to its roots, a bit 'wilder' than more polished ballroom...

I just wish all those different perspectives/angles, shades of Latin theme possibilities would be explored by teams, that they'll get out of their 'comfort zone' or 'Latin comfort zone' usually associated with lots of artificial posing, grabing and plastic affection.