Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gymnastics: The Women

Gymnastics: The Women

I've only seen one rotation so far (bars) but the U.S. women look very strong and determined.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~

Spoiler

And then comes the floor.......But wheeee! Mo makes the event final!

Laura

Custom Title
    I thought the US ladies were really good, although they made a few small mistakes. Then I watched the Romanians and they looked better. The Chinese looked very good, but not as good as the Romanians. I did not get to watch all the rotations of the Chinese. The Russians are in the mix but NBC showed only 2 routines. They are nowhere as good as they used to be- so we are told, but how would we know if they don't show us their performances? Hopefully when the team competition takes place, we will get to see more.

As a team, I don't think the Americans are at their best. I feel like betting on the Romanians fro the Team Gold.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    I thought the US ladies were really good, although they made a few small mistakes. Then I watched the Romanians and they looked better. The Chinese looked very good, but not as good as the Romanians. I did not get to watch all the rotations of the Chinese. The Russians are in the mix but NBC showed only 2 routines. They are nowhere as good as they used to be- so we are told, but how would we know if they don't show us their performances? Hopefully when the team competition takes place, we will get to see more.

We have blanket coverage here in the UK and saw all of Russia in the first subdivision. They are nowhere near to what they once were. Infact the difference in standards is shocking. Khorkina is clearly the standout and Pavlova looks good. Zamalodchikova looks a bit ragged though.

USA were great until floor and vault where a few errors crept in. If they can hit tommorow night they can win the gold medal. But Romania look very consistent although their bars work sucks I thought the scores for them on this apparatus were a little inflated. But their beam was awesome.

Chinese are fab - watch out for Cheng Fei, she's gonna be a star. But they are just so inconsistent abd beam was a bit of a disaster for them:(

Custom Title
    Start order for Tuesday:

VT: Patterson, Bhardwaj, Hatch, alt. Kupets
    UB: Patterson, Humphrey, Kupets, alt. McCool
    BB: Humphrey, Kupets, Patterson, alt. Bhardwaj
    FX: Kupets, Bhardwaj, Patterson, alt. Humphrey

www.usa-gymnasticsolympic...notes.html

I'm completely bummed McCool is not doing any! I really thought last night was just some jitters she needed to work out. Especially on the FX. She's such a pretty gymnast to watch with her perfect positions. I hope this isn't a huge mistake on the part of Marta, but I'm not happy about this!

That is very surprising about McCool. I think Marta is worried about her state of mind after her mishaps yesterday. She looks tense and even frightened. The others look solid and totally unafraid.

Custom Title
    It's soo weird seeing the Russian team not do so well. What happened.

Go NJ Devils
    I'm bummed about McCool, too. She's got such lovely form, but was not at her best in the qualis. I didn't think the US team looked very solid after bars. The Romanian team looked very, very strong and steady. I don't think the Chinese team should be underestimated.

According to the CBC broadcasters, the three up, three count format will help Russia and other teams that don't have as much depth. I think Khorkina is a goddess, and I hope she hits everything.

Custom Title
    I've always like Khorkina, but she looks awful! She is skeletal, and her face is so drawn. She looks more like 30 than 25. What has happened to her?

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    I've always like Khorkina, but she looks awful! She is skeletal, and her face is so drawn. She looks more like 30 than 25. What has happened to her?
    Its gotta be the stress. She's basically carrying her team and so much is expected of her.

Custom Title
    Wow, that is such a shocker that McCool is not doing anything! She is a lovely gymnast to watch. But, as someone mentioned above, she did appear to be American team member most effected by the Olympic pressure during the qualies. It may not be the kindest choice, but I hope it will be the wisest.

Romania was exquisite as always, but they aren't unbeatable. The Chinese scared me a bit more! They made mistakes, but they have big tricks and beautiful execution. They could definitely be the surprise of this competition. I have a feeling the U.S. ladies are going to be much more solid on Tuesday night (I hope so anyway!).

Is it just me or do the U.S. ladies appear to be more muscular than the Chinese and Romanians? To me the Chinese and Romanians looked lighter and seemed to move with more freedom than the Americans. The American women looked like they were concentrating so hard on what they were doing their movement appears more deliberate while the Chinese and Romanians just seemed to move through their routines with .....I'm not sure what word I.m looking for here more abandon? For example in the floor exercise the Chinese and Romanians looked more like dancers tumbling, while the Americans looked like tumblers trying to dance. Did anyone else notice this?

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Is it just me or do the U.S. ladies appear to be more muscular than the Chinese and Romanians? To me the Chinese and Romanians looked lighter and seemed to move with more freedom than the Americans. The American women looked like they were concentrating so hard on what they were doing their movement appears more deliberate while the Chinese and Romanians just seemed to move through their routines with .....I'm not sure what word I.m looking for here more abandon? For example in the floor exercise the Chinese and Romanians looked more like dancers tumbling, while the Americans looked like tumblers trying to dance. Did anyone else notice this?
    Someone I spoke to jokingly said that the American and Australian team looked like could eat the whole Romanian team and half the Chinese. She didn't mean that the Americans were big, but that the Chinese and Romanians were so small. You can see a difference in body types.

I agree with you about the Romanians and Chinese having more abandon in their movements. One American who I felt had great dance movement and abandon was Tabitha Yim. Too bad she got injured before the camp. :(

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    Poor McCool!!! She is my absolute favorite. She kinda reminds me of when sasha first hit the scene becuause she is so beautiful to watch and has very polished carraige and technique... but she lacks the age and experience to be a front runner right now. Hopefully in years to come she wont have the same experience as sasha, not quite ever able to close the deal if you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast