Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: TV Nationalism

  1. #1
    Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    953

    TV Nationalism

    OK, thank God I have my choice between about 6 staions who are broadcasting the Olys, but what is up with Nationalism? I actually cought a little of the ladies gymnastics on Dutch TV. I mostly watch the BBC for language reasons, but as there are no UK gymnysts, they aren't showing any. Yesterday I watched a swimming event where there were two Brittish guys in the race. Finishing something like 6th and 7th, neither won a medal but the BBC commentators talked not only the entire race but even after the finish just about the two Brittish guys. I remember a Japanese guys won, but not a single word was said about either him or the two other medalsits. Incredible!

  2. #2
    GOLDEN DREAMS RealtorGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,434

    Thumbs down

    It's because TV executives think that people are STUPID and only want to hear about competitors from their own country. In actuality, of course, that is not the case. Thanks for letting us know that it's not only a problem in the U.S.!

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    265
    Once again, I have to give kudos to our Canadian broadcasts. We are getting about 18 hours a day of coverage, and they are covering everything and everybody.
    I know Canada isn't exactly strong at Summer Olympics, and so far these are turning out to be disastrous (what happened to our swimmers 19 events so far and NOT ONE pb....) thus not giving them much option, but they always do this. Even the fluff pieces are done on athletes from other countries.

    I love Canadian coverage!

    Canuck

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,641
    If Canadians were potential medallists in many events, I am sure Canadian TV would spend more time on their own athletes in those events.

  5. #5
    Go NJ Devils
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,700
    It seems, though, that the requirement to be a diving commentator is an unbearable amount of shrillness in both the US and Canada. Luckily, unlike figure skating, turning on the "mute" button doesn't hurt at all.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,213
    Count me in as another who would like to see everthing. I was sort of peeved that they didn't show all of the women's gymnastics qualifications for Romania and China in particular. But, honestly, I want to see everything that the Americans are doing and I'm glad they are showing these events in their entirety. So, I'd like to see more comprehensive coverage, but I'm still having a ball watching the Games.

  7. #7
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,714
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8tngcanuck
    Once again, I have to give kudos to our Canadian broadcasts. We are getting about 18 hours a day of coverage, and they are covering everything and everybody.
    I know Canada isn't exactly strong at Summer Olympics, and so far these are turning out to be disastrous (what happened to our swimmers 19 events so far and NOT ONE pb....) thus not giving them much option, but they always do this. Even the fluff pieces are done on athletes from other countries.

    I love Canadian coverage!

    Canuck
    yes, CBC is doing a great job. By the way, we did win a bronze medal today - women's syncro diving.

  8. #8
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,714
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    OK, thank God I have my choice between about 6 staions who are broadcasting the Olys, but what is up with Nationalism? I actually cought a little of the ladies gymnastics on Dutch TV. I mostly watch the BBC for language reasons, but as there are no UK gymnysts, they aren't showing any. Yesterday I watched a swimming event where there were two Brittish guys in the race. Finishing something like 6th and 7th, neither won a medal but the BBC commentators talked not only the entire race but even after the finish just about the two Brittish guys. I remember a Japanese guys won, but not a single word was said about either him or the two other medalsits. Incredible!
    This surprises you? Nationalism is pretty much what the Olympics is about.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    If Canadians were potential medallists in many events, I am sure Canadian TV would spend more time on their own athletes in those events.
    Granted, Canada is not overly strong in Summer Olympics, BUT, our commentators have ALWAYS given the credit due to other countries. I have always been immensely impressed that overt nationalism doesn't show through on our CBC coverage.

    I have the option of watching either Canadian or American channels, and I will choose the Canadian any day of the week. This goes for ALL sporting events, not just the Summer games.

  10. #10
    Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    This surprises you? Nationalism is pretty much what the Olympics is about.
    No, this was really OTT. Can you imagine if the SLC pairs event had happened and Scott Hamilton only talked about I&Z and how they had a chance for bronze and how well they did and what mistakes they made, etc.. and didn't even mention B&S or S&P once. Well, considering what he did say, maybe this would have been preferable.

  11. #11
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,626
    According to today's newspaper, these games are shaping up to be the least watched Olympics (in the U.S.) since Mexico City in 1968. Ratings for the opening ceremonies were down 12 per cent from Sydney, which itself had a comparatively low rating. Overall, the first three days were down 3 per cent.

    Mathman

  12. #12
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    According to today's newspaper, these games are shaping up to be the least watched Olympics (in the U.S.) since Mexico City in 1968. Ratings for the opening ceremonies were down 12 per cent from Sydney, which itself had a comparatively low rating. Overall, the first three days were down 3 per cent.

    Mathman
    What a shame :( . I look forward to the Olympics, get so excited for the athletes, and really hate when they are over. OTOH there are lots of folks that just don't care ....what's wrong with them, LOL? I think that there are some people who just don't get joy from seeing other people do well. It's like if it's not happening to me than why should I care? Sad, sad, sad.

    Piel

  13. #13
    Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    What a shame :( . I look forward to the Olympics, get so excited for the athletes, and really hate when they are over. OTOH there are lots of folks that just don't care ....what's wrong with them, LOL? I think that there are some people who just don't get joy from seeing other people do well. It's like if it's not happening to me than why should I care? Sad, sad, sad.
    I actually think it's more like why people don't vote. Most people that I talk to dismiss the Olys because they think it's full of cheaters and politically motivated results, and conspicuous consumption. There is not really any sense of the little guy triumphing, and I can kind of see their point. On the surface, the Olys could easily be dismissed as "Ice Wars: USA vs. USSR".

  14. #14
    Always Believed! Sk8n Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    520
    Doesn't happen here (Canada) so much. This morning they showed the gold medal softball game even though we weren't in it.

  15. #15
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    I wouldn't be too hard on those TV stations. They have to budget ahead of time what they are going to purchase the rights to. I recall how about 10 years ago, an Israili medalled in, I believe, ferncing (could be wrong); it turned out the athlete was from Massachusetts, and the broadcasters wanted to show the competition. Turned out even though they had the exclusive contract with the Olympic committee, they did not pay for that sport, and thus could not show it. All they could show was, I think, a 20-second clip the was provided free of charge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Tapes For Trade/Sale
    By manhn in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 11:43 PM
  2. More tapes for copy and trade
    By Koshka in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 02:58 PM
  3. Tapes for copy and trade
    By Koshka in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 04:43 AM
  4. Tape for copy and trade.
    By Koshka in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 04:53 AM
  5. possible tv alert for espn/espn2 for 10-18
    By citrus in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •