Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TV Nationalism

I think NBC has done/is doing a job as best it can. It is in its interest to show what it thinks will make people tune in. It does show many events on it's affiliate stations. So if you like Archery, Fencing and Equestrian, they are being shown.

It's sad to see that ratings are down. That will just make the powers to be to figure out why and take what they see as necessary action.

What will NBC do with Torino? Not all those sports are 'must see' sports in the US and I think in other countries too. As for figure skating, how much interest ABC can generate for the Pre-Oly Worlds and the ensuing GP events will determine if the casual skating fan returns to watch the Olys without any controversies, and without silly gimmics.

Joe

Rogue Leader
    Actually, the ratings are now blowing away Sydney's coverage. They started slow, but have really picked up. I read that in an article a couple of hours ago, but I don't remember where at this moment.

While I do give big kudos to the CBC, Canadian announcers do often have a Canadian bias (especially the figure skating ones). It just seems natural to cheer on one's own country. I don't always favour Canadians, so I find it a little annoying, but I've learned to deal with it. Every country does it. I am glad to be getting so much coverage. Unfotunately, work gets in the way of my Olympic schedule.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I've been watching part of the Olympics down here on a couple of Mexican stations, as well as on NBC; sometimes they show things that NBC won't show. The other night they were showing the Women's Platform Diving final and they showed EVERY diver in the final 12 at least once -- except, interestingly enough, for Laura Wilkinson and Sara Hildebrand, the 2 Americans, who they did not show at all. Not even ONCE. I'm not sure what to make of this.....

Custom Woman
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the US commentators--usually known for their boosterism--at the equal amount of praise and criticism given to athletes from various other countries. Most of the US commentators I've seen seem to actually be commenting on the execution rather than the athletes' country or politics--what a concept! I especially noticed this in gymnastics, wrestling, diving, and swimming (haven't seen as much track and field yet).

Just take gymnastics, for example. Sure Elfie, Tim, and Al went nuts when a US gymnast nailed his/her routine, but they were equally thrilled by stunning routines by gymnasts from other countries, even if they were in a head-to-head rivalry with a US gymnast. Same in diving and swimming. It made the events so much more enjoyable for me because they pointed out what each athlete did exceptionally well, or poorly, so I felt as if I truly gained insight into each athlete's approach and what s/he did.

So here's one for the team! The US/NBC commentating team. So far, so good.
    Rgirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2