View Poll Results: Third place in Dortmund- Michelle or Miki?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miki Ando should have won

12 17.14%
  • Michelle rules!

47 67.14%
  • I don't know

3 4.29%
  • I don't care

10 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miki Ando

On the Ice

Miki Ando

Yes, here we go, another one of Miki Ando...but I really admire her. Japanese skaters are getting better and better....

" I think there's a lot to learn from the japanese skaters...they are very hard workers."
    -Sasha Cohen

On the Ice
    Walking Down the aisle with Sasha arm in arm
    I don`t know and I don`t care

Custom Title
    Although I don´t think that "Michelle rules" anymore (at least did not in 2003-2004 season), I voted that, because Michelle deserved the bronze medal in Dortmund. If Miki had been faultless, she would have gotten the bronze, I believe.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-17-2004 at 05:42 AM.

Custom Title
    Miki has a long way to go on the presentation side, and she underrotated her 'money' jumps. Her "Firebird" had no spark and she is relentlessly unmusical. I would have placed Miki 6th in the FS, after Suguri and Sebestyen, with Kostner 7th.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I thought there could have been no better example for "skating with background music" than Ando's SP to Chopin. As grand as the music was she managed to make it completely uninteresting.

Custom Title
    Didn't Michelle almost win the LP? I think this means that she is still one of the top guns, like it or not.
    Michelle deserved the bronze. She had the second best LP of the night, and not a bad SP either.

Custom Title
    I actually thought Miki's SP was far better than her LP. "Firebird" was unimpressive. Michelle was very solid and performed an elegant LP that deserved nothing lower or higher than second in that phase of the competition. Miki deserved 4th, but I think Kostner was the lucky one...I would have had her in 7th or lower. She does absolutely nothing for me.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BronzeisGolden
    I actually thought Miki's SP was far better than her LP. "Firebird" was unimpressive. Michelle was very solid and performed an elegant LP that deserved nothing lower or higher than second in that phase of the competition. Miki deserved 4th, but I think Kostner was the lucky one...I would have had her in 7th or lower. She does absolutely nothing for me.
    Miki should have been sixth in the LP. If anyone was robbed, it was Suguri...both in the SP and LP.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by figure8fan17
    Yes, here we go, another one of Miki Ando...but I really admire her. Japanese skaters are getting better and better....

" I think there's a lot to learn from the japanese skaters...they are very hard workers."
    -Sasha Cohen
    I respect Miki for her accomplishments and do think she has a good place to rule the post 2006 era with the other Japanese ladies. However I think 4th place was a very generous gift in the lp at Worlds this last season. I gave her 6th. I know a lot of people are going to think I'm insane but this is how I placed skaters in the lp, 1. SHizuka, 2. Michelle 3. Suguri 4.Cohen, 5. Sebestian, 6. MIki. Shizuka definitely won the lp for me that evening. Michelle got bonus points for sheer determination/focus and I admit bias because she's my favourite. FUmie I think outskated Cohen. Cohen's program was as empty as they come for me. There was an initial ick factor since I didn't like the new Swan Lake, but additionally I felt zero presentation/artistry other than pretty positions and her technical stuff was iffy. Whereas Suguri skated to the best of her abilities and gave such a beautiful emotional performance, To me JUlia S. gave a stronger performance presentation wise. But technically Miki probably was ahead. However I think Miki using Firebird for her music was a bad move because the music is so strong and powerful and she doesn't have the presentation and presence for it just yet. Someday possibly. But not yet. Either way it was a great debut for Miki and we'll see how she challenges Shizuka this season.

I am not a Michelle fan, but her technique alone is so far superior to Miki's, that she has a definite advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossi
    Didn't Michelle almost win the LP? I think this means that she is still one of the top guns, like it or not.
    Michelle deserved the bronze. She had the second best LP of the night, and not a bad SP either.
    Indeed she did almost. Had she executed one triple combo she would have won the competition. And she is the last skater at Worlds to have garnered two perfect 6.0s. Like Amanda Beard, whe ain't done yet.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Indeed she did almost. Had she executed one triple combo she would have won the competition. And she is the last skater at Worlds to have garnered two perfect 6.0s.
    Joe
    Maybe, as the judging is what it is concerning the reputation... And if she had been a little bit better in 1998 Olympics, she would have won the Olympic gold, hadn´t she, LOL?

Well, I have to agree with those that have mentioned on forums that the judges were giving gifts in this competition as it was the last one with 6,0s. I would say that generally speaking Michelle always gives a good presentation, but in this competition I personally had a very strong impression that she started to interpret the music only in the footwork before the final spins. In my opinion, if somebody would have deserved 6,0s for presentation, it would have been Shizuka that interpreted her music during the whole programme. Unfortunately she was the first to skate in the final group and got only a 6,0 in technical scores.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-21-2004 at 03:37 AM.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    I would say that generally speaking Michelle always gives a good presentation, but in this competition I personally had a very strong impression that she started to interpret the music only in the footwork before the final spins. In my opinion, if somebody would have deserved 6,0s for presentation, it would have been Shizuka that interpreted her music during the whole programme. Unfortunately she was the first to skate in the final group and got only a 6,0 in technical scores.

Marjaana
    ITA on both points. That a single judge was willing to give a first place ordinal to Cohen or Kwan in the LP over Arakawa is beyond me.

Custom Title
    In my opinion, if somebody would have deserved 6,0s for presentation, it would have been Shizuka that interpreted her music during the whole programme. Unfortunately she was the first to skate in the final group and got only a 6,0 in technical scores.
    IF Arakawa skated behind Cohen or Kwan she would have more 6.0s. The judges did not just inflate the 6.0s, also the 5.8s and 5.9s. People complain about Kwan's 6.0s, but IMO they inflated Cohen's marks more. Cohen's lifeless yawning lp from begin to end did not merit 5.9s or even 5.8s for presentation. BTW, the world 03 judges at Dortmund at least gave the correct placement for Arakawa. OTOH the judges who placed Cohen ahead of her in Skate Canada last year were totally out to lunch.
    Last edited by rtureck; 09-18-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    Maybe, as the judging is what it is concerning the reputation... And if she had been a little bit better in 1998 Olympics, she would have won the Olympic gold, hadn´t she, LOL?

Well, I have to agree with those that have mentioned on forums that the judges were giving gifts in this competition as it was the last one with 6,0s. Marjaana
    1. The reputation didn't stop the European Officials from deducting for skating overtime. Did they, LOL?

2. And if Irina and Maria and Chen Lu skated a little better they would have either won or been second. Hadn't they, LOL?

3. For some of us who saw the competition, she was excellent and deserved the 6.0s, and certainly the 5.9s. I can imagine what forums are saying it was a gift. Am I correct, LOL?

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast