• Mandy Woetzel 94 Olympics LP

27 25.23%
  • Rena Inoue 94 Nationals LP

0 0%
  • Other

31 28.97%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst Falls

I remember when Chris ran into the boards in Oakland at 92 Worlds. I was there.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    I voted for Wotzel & Steuer in the 94 Olympics LP. For those who didn't see it, basically they were skating forwards, Mandy in front, and went into spirals with Ingo holding her hands behind her. She tripped over her toe almost instantly, couldn't break her fall with her hands as Ingo was holding them, and landed hard on her chest and chin. They had to stop the programme and he had to carry her off, and they withdrew.

Another particularly bad fall I saw was by Stefan Lindemann, in some competition in I think the 00-01 season (I'm guessing that, because Plushenko was the next skater and was IIRC wearing his LP costume from that year) - it might have been a GP event or another smaller competition. Lindemann was skating his LP, and went for a triple axel and landed it all wrong - it appeared like his leg, ankle and foot all went in different directions. I don't know if he broke it, but it certainly looked like he did. He immediately collapsed on the ice, and grabbed his leg and was rolling from side to side in agony - the look on his face said it all. Eventually some people in shoes came onto the ice with a stretcher and took him off. That's probably the most pain I've ever seen a skater in after a fall. :(

Others that haven't been mentioned yet are Elena Berezhnaya in 01 Euros SP, on the throw. She tripped over forwards as soon as her blade touched the ice, landed on her stomach, and slid backwards and crashed into the boards. Ow! To her credit, she managed to get up and finish the programme, but it did look very painful, and probably knocked the wind out of her...

On the Ice
    Walking Down the aisle with Sasha arm in arm
    Speaking of Worst Falls, yesterday I had my worst fall.
    I was going into My Lutz combo when suddenly I tripped. Lets just say I redefined the word headbanger

On the Ice
    I voted "other" with Christine Hough in mind..... Canadians in Saskatoon (I believe in 1993). Worst thing I've ever seen and heard in my life.

Skating Freak Barbie
    I'm thinking Weir's second fall in his 2003 National's LP....although Yagudin smacking his head on the wall at the 2001 GWG is up there too! Oh yeah, and where's Midori Ito jumping into the camera pit? What year was that again??

Kasey

Medalist
    I haven't seen this one mentioned. In 1984 Olympics pairs SP - Underhill & Martini. Neither one was hurt, but it probably kept them from getting an Olympics medal. If I remember correctly, they were doing side by side sit spins. Barb lost control , fell out of the spin & slid over into Paul. I think he fell too.

I also remember seeing Scott Hamiltion in a pro comp where he fell really hard 3 times. I think on his lutz he was tilted way too far forward & landed flat on the ice.

Eliza

Custom Title
    I agree, IceNut. Woetzl's and Steuer's fall in Lillehammer was horrific to watch...and I imagine it must have been terribly painful for Mandy. But, at least she only needed a few stitches in her chin. It could have been much worse injury wise...I'm imagining absolutely horrible scenarios with jaw, tongue and teeth realignments!

And Midori's fall still makes me shudder! I think anytime a skater jumps out of the rink it should certainly be considered among the "worst falls"!

Custom Title
    Carolina's fall in the 2004 worlds LP was among the worst I have seen because it impacted the rest of her program.

Others:

B&S- GPF 00 LP2 (Elena almost pulled Anton down with her)
    S&Z- worlds 2004 SP (it took Hongbo a long time to catch up with Xue)
    Johnny Weir - 2003 USN LP (he retired from the competition after that)
    B&K- 2002 Oly FD (it cost them an Olympic medal, with just a few seconds left in the program)
    B&S- 98 Oly LP (fall on the lift with just a few seconds left might have cost them the gold). This was a lift they were doing easily even when they had been skating together just 6 months.

Midori's fall in the 91 worlds was incredible. She actually fell out of the rink but she was able to get back on the ice and finish the program as if nothing had happened.

Rinkside
    I say Johnny Weir's 03 nats fall(s) were pretty bad. He pulled out of the competition and I remember reading he was off the ice for a bit because he hadmessed up his knee on one of the falls.

Reading these posts reminds me of just how difficult skating is. Just imagine how many falls each and every skater has taken during training! We nitpick and criticize skaters, but really, what they must go through to master these jumps must be frightening. We have no right to criticize... :\

Johnny Weir at the '03 US Nationals. Yikes! It was like one of those moments from a bad made-for-TV movie about skating where the hero has a nightmare of a performance and has to withdraw. But it was real.

Skating Soprano
    I cant believe that Midori falling into the camera pit isnt on there. I mean, duuuude, that looked like it had to have hurt.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The worst fall I remember was Karen Magnussen, when she broke Both her legs.

The second worst was Jill Watson with the partner she had before Peter Oppegard at World's 1984. They were doing a platter lift with very fast rotation and Jill went spinning up, down, and into the boards like a loose Frisbee. She had a new partner, Oppegard, the following season.

Third would be the Woetzl and Steuer fall.

Rinkside
    I voted "other" with Laetitia Hubert at Albertville Olympics (1992) in mind. It wasn't only one fall but a true splatfest. Woetzel/Steuer's comes as close second. I thought she had broke some bones, it was scary.

Kotik

Argentinian wonder ;)
    Well...we can add to the list the Totmianina & Marinin's fall from Skate America. That one was really scary!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast