Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Rena Inoue 94 Nationals LP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 31 29.0%

• Total voters

Eliza

Rinkside
I haven't seen this one mentioned. In 1984 Olympics pairs SP - Underhill & Martini. Neither one was hurt, but it probably kept them from getting an Olympics medal. If I remember correctly, they were doing side by side sit spins. Barb lost control , fell out of the spin & slid over into Paul. I think he fell too.

I also remember seeing Scott Hamiltion in a pro comp where he fell really hard 3 times. I think on his lutz he was tilted way too far forward & landed flat on the ice.

Eliza

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I agree, IceNut. Woetzl's and Steuer's fall in Lillehammer was horrific to watch...and I imagine it must have been terribly painful for Mandy. But, at least she only needed a few stitches in her chin. It could have been much worse injury wise...I'm imagining absolutely horrible scenarios with jaw, tongue and teeth realignments! :eek:

And Midori's fall still makes me shudder! I think anytime a skater jumps out of the rink it should certainly be considered among the "worst falls"!

Vash01

Medalist
Carolina's fall in the 2004 worlds LP was among the worst I have seen because it impacted the rest of her program.

Others:

B&S- GPF 00 LP2 (Elena almost pulled Anton down with her)
S&Z- worlds 2004 SP (it took Hongbo a long time to catch up with Xue)
Johnny Weir - 2003 USN LP (he retired from the competition after that)
B&K- 2002 Oly FD (it cost them an Olympic medal, with just a few seconds left in the program)
B&S- 98 Oly LP (fall on the lift with just a few seconds left might have cost them the gold). This was a lift they were doing easily even when they had been skating together just 6 months.

Midori's fall in the 91 worlds was incredible. She actually fell out of the rink but she was able to get back on the ice and finish the program as if nothing had happened.

Magz

Spectator
I say Johnny Weir's 03 nats fall(s) were pretty bad. He pulled out of the competition and I remember reading he was off the ice for a bit because he hadmessed up his knee on one of the falls.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Reading these posts reminds me of just how difficult skating is. Just imagine how many falls each and every skater has taken during training! We nitpick and criticize skaters, but really, what they must go through to master these jumps must be frightening. We have no right to criticize... :eek: :\

Johar

Medalist
Johnny Weir at the '03 US Nationals. Yikes! It was like one of those moments from a bad made-for-TV movie about skating where the hero has a nightmare of a performance and has to withdraw. But it was real.

skatepixie

On the Ice
I cant believe that Midori falling into the camera pit isnt on there. I mean, duuuude, that looked like it had to have hurt.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The worst fall I remember was Karen Magnussen, when she broke Both her legs.

The second worst was Jill Watson with the partner she had before Peter Oppegard at World's 1984. They were doing a platter lift with very fast rotation and Jill went spinning up, down, and into the boards like a loose Frisbee. She had a new partner, Oppegard, the following season.

Third would be the Woetzl and Steuer fall.

Kotik

Rinkside
I voted "other" with Laetitia Hubert at Albertville Olympics (1992) in mind. It wasn't only one fall but a true splatfest. Woetzel/Steuer's comes as close second. I thought she had broke some bones, it was scary.

Kotik

mariana

On the Ice
Well...we can add to the list the Totmianina & Marinin's fall from Skate America. That one was really scary!

Vash01

Medalist
T&M's fall will go down as one of the worst. Fortunately the results were not catastrophic. Obertas & Palamarchuk's fall was worse in a way. He not only had to be taken to the hospital, but he also had to stop skating for quite some time (at least a year).

Paul Binnebose's fall was worse, but it was not during a competition, if my information is correct (can someone verify?). It ended his career as a figure skater.

Vash

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vash01 said:
T&M's fall will go down as one of the worst. Fortunately the results were not catastrophic. Vash
Vash, I have to agree about T&M's fall, I still cringe when I watch it. I'm surprised she only got a black eye. It looked like she fell on her face. I'm surprished she didn't break her teeth. Oh--h-h-h-h-h--h. :sheesh: :sheesh:

Dee

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Prior to Skate America, I would have said Woetzel & Steuer's. Now I would say T& M's. :cry: Thank goodness the results weren't catastropic, & that she'll be OK!

T&M's fall in present memory. How sad it was. They were looking so good to Scher. Also there is Johnny's two falls at US Nats in 2003 which basically washed him up, and we are constantly being reminded of those.

Of course, there was W&S which blew my mind, however, that was not, apparently, as bad as it looked.

I'm hoping T&M will be able to skate again and soon.

Joe

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Antilles said:
Jayson Denommee had a nasty one at Cnds once. He had food poisoning, and kept falling all over the place. He fell on one jump and actually banged his head on the ice.

Not technically a fall, but Christopher Bowman when he caught his blade between the boards (I can't remember the competition). That looked painful.
It was actually a very nasty flu that affected Jayson's skating.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Greg Ladret and "tuffy" Christine Hough of Canada. He fell on his head to break her fall and had to wear a helmet when they skated for quite some time.

Doug fractured his skull Nov.17/86. On November 17, 1986, Doug hit a rut during a lift in a practice session. He saved Christine, but fractured his skull "in a couple of places". It was a near life-threatening injury, but a week later Doug was out on the ice (with a helmet on) again. They were off the ice for 5 weeks then they made the world team for their first time where they placed 8th.

They were awesome!!!

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Butyrskaya's fall on nothing at the 98 Worlds, although funny about 3 seconds after, looked like it really could have been much more serious when it happened.

Also, her fall at the 2001 Euros LP on the 3sal when it looked like she body slammed the ice.

Jhar55

Medalist
Well the only fall I ever seen live was Tatiana & Maxim so I'd vote for that.
One I saw on TV was Namio Nam at nationals when she fell and hit her head, it's a wonder she didn't knock her self out.

Sk84lif3

Spectator
sashasbeau said:
Speaking of Worst Falls, yesterday I had my worst fall.
I was going into My Lutz combo when suddenly I tripped. Lets just say I redefined the word headbanger :p

oh i hit the wall all the time! i do my lutz and fall and hit my head into the wall! lol :biggrin: and i fall on my head all the time during jumps...im surprised i havent had brain damage!