Lessons Every Other Week | Golden Skate

Lessons Every Other Week

skatechick

Spectator
I know this sounds odd, but is it possible to take a half-hour private lesson every other week rather than every week? As a teenager, this would be much more affordable. Of course, I would still practice 2-3 times per week regardless of whether a lesson was scheduled for the week or not. Or would it be better to have a 15-minute lesson every week? I'm learning singles right now. Group lessons are definitely out of the question. Please add some suggestions.

Last edited:

sashasbeau

Rinkside
Well If your going to be skating 2-3 times a week anyway I would suggest the 15 minute a week lesson.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I think it depends on the coach. Would she be willing to do this with you? Could she find a skater to take that extra every other week lesson that you won't be using, to use that time? Or would it be easier for her to schedule you for 15 minutes weekly.

I, personally, would prefer the 1/2 hour, every other week. I think you'll accomplish more in that longer time than you would in a shorter session twice a week. But it depends on the coach.

isk8nbessy

Rinkside
I'm with roaringmice, It's hard to have a 15 every week because then the next week, you're only going over what you did the week before. It would probably make more sence to go with the thirty and to make sure you practice what you've learned, you will probably go farther that way. JMO. Good luck!

Summerkid

Rinkside
A coach's perspective...
While the 1/2 hour every other week may suit your needs, you have to remember that the coach would prefer to fill that time every week to make the trip to the rink worthwhile. If your coach has that time free, it's a possibility. However, if she/he had someone ask about that time, I can almost guarantee that you'd lose your lesson time in favor of someone who's going to be an every week deal. It's really a financial decision for the coach.

Is there anyone who you could take a group private lesson with to split the cost so you could do it every week but in a duo? It may be a little bit more but less than an entire private lesson.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I take a 20min lesson a week instead of a 15min one. Instead of $22 for a 15 min lesson it's only $30 for a 20min, instead of $45 for a 1/2 hour.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
dlkksk8fan said:
I take a 20min lesson a week instead of a 15min one. Instead of $22 for a 15 min lesson it's only $30 for a 20min, instead of $45 for a 1/2 hour.
'

Holy Cow!!!!!!!

I can't believe how much you pay for lessons! Even the top coaches at the world renowned club in the city near me don't charge that much for lessons.

The standard rate here is $10.00 for a 15 minute lesson and the top coaches at the aforementioned club are between $12 and $15.

I am glad I don't pay that, considering my daughter has 5 lessons per week!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
It is expensive. My coach charges $90 an hour. Lucky I am just an adult skater and only need one lesson a week. I would like to do a 1/2 hour lesson but $30 a week is plenty to spend

"I can't believe how much you pay for lessons! Even the top coaches at the world renowned club in the city near me don't charge that much for lessons."

Where does your daughter skate?

Last edited:

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Dlkk,

We skate with the club in our home town, but we live 45 minutes from the Royal Glenora club, and their coaches arent even that high. We looked at putting our daughter in a one week high performance camp there, but decided to hold off til next year when she has her doubles.

Coaches in the city are charging between 9-12 for a 15 minute lesson. The Glenora is a little more, but not $ 22.00!

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Those fees are completely outrageous! $10 for 15 min or $40/hr is reasonable. That being said, no I wouldn't do lessons every other week.

Perry

Rinkside
COaching fees vary wildly per city. When my coach is at my rink, she charges $60 an hour, but when she travels to Boston, her rates go up to $100...it's just based on what people are willing to pay where.

Anyway, I would talk to it out with your coach, and see what her opinion on the matter is. You'd probably get more done in 30 minutes every two weeks, but it's possible that might be too difficult for her to plan.

jesslily

Final Flight
It all depends on your goals for skating. If you just take lessons learning some tricks for fun, one lesson a week or in two weeks are enough. If you want to take usfsa tests of 8 levels, you should take at least 3 half hour lessons a week. If you are planning to compete for each level, you should take at least one lesson a day, plus many hours off ice training. It's very common in northeast a pre-juv and above skater spends a few thousands a month for coaching, ice, and related expenses.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
jesslily said:
It all depends on your goals for skating. If you just take lessons learning some tricks for fun, one lesson a week or in two weeks are enough. If you want to take usfsa tests of 8 levels, you should take at least 3 half hour lessons a week. If you are planning to compete for each level, you should take at least one lesson a day, plus many hours off ice training. It's very common in northeast a pre-juv and above skater spends a few thousands a month for coaching, ice, and related expenses.

This is probably my daughters last year in the test stream, as she plans to compete at pre Juv level starting next season. I have talked to her coach about upping her number of lessons, and she is of the opinion that more lessons is not necessarily beneficial. She feels it is more important to take what they learn in lesson time and spend time working on it.

My daughter is on Sr. Bronze dances, Jr Bronze Skills and Jr. Bronze FS. Currently she takes 3 FS lessons, 1 skills lesson and 1 dance lesson per week. She also has a partnering lesson 2x a month for dances. She is not planning to compete in anything other than FS, but until this year she only had 2 FS lessons a week, and in one year went from a toe loop to a dbl sal.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I would say one 15-minute lesson a week is better than 30 minutes once a fortnight, simply because you have that much less time to develop bad habits! If you can, try to schedule your lesson for a session when your coach has plenty of free time (ask him/her which session would be best), as that way they aren't rushing off to the next pupil at the end of the 15 minutes and you sometimes get a couple of minutes more. I get a longer 30-minute private lesson each week than I do my couples lesson, as my coach isn't rushing off to his next pupil on a Wednesday morning as he is on a Sunday! :D

alaskanmom

Rinkside
We pay 60.00 an hour and our dd has two 30 minute lessons a week, our son has them on and off. We just had a guest coach here and we paid 75.00 an hour.
I would say one 15 minute lesson a week hope your coach can work it out !! :)