SPOILER - Women's gymnastic team event | Page 2 | Golden Skate

SPOILER - Women's gymnastic team event

artekgwent

Rinkside
lavender said:
I swear it's just not in the cards for the US to win on a regular basis. It's usually the Russians or the Romanians that will always win.

Well, it's not in the cards to win if they (the US) don't improve an obviously weak part of their program: no real dance moves in the FX. It's so much nicer to watch the Romanians & other Eastern countries, where the moves are so much more fluid, musical, and expressive. Not to mention much better music choices. If dance is a part of the requirements why not take it seriously? I'm not commenting here on whether it should or shouldn't be, just that it IS, therefore a well-prepared competitor should be having better dance training & choreography. Why is that so hard for US? And why act surprised when the judging reflects this?

lavender

Record Breaker
artekgwent said:
Well, it's not in the cards to win if they (the US) don't improve an obviously weak part of their program: no real dance moves in the FX. It's so much nicer to watch the Romanians & other Eastern countries, where the moves are so much more fluid, musical, and expressive. Not to mention much better music choices. If dance is a part of the requirements why not take it seriously? I'm not commenting here on whether it should or shouldn't be, just that it IS, therefore a well-prepared competitor should be having better dance training & choreography. Why is that so hard for US? And why act surprised when the judging reflects this?

I agree and Martha should have known.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
euterpe said:
I agree, Joesitz. The US ladies really need to work on those 'dance' moves. They don't dance so much as they just stop tumbling. There's no thought put into it, and it shows.

The Romanians were so much better, as their dance moves were woven into the routine and they went smoothly from dancing to tumbling and back.
I remember during the early-late 90's, when the US women actually had interesting FX's. The Romanians were considered boring at the time (Simona Amanar was tantamount to...a fridge break, even though she was consistent). I heard Belu put that team together after the 2001 scandals...