Most beautiful ladie's buns | Golden Skate

Most beautiful ladie's buns

John King

Final Flight
Both Ice-dancer Anjelika Krylova & pairs skater Jenni Meno are known for most often tying their hair back in a bun for their programs.How do you think has the more beautiful coif?

(And,just what were your dirty minds thinking when you saw this thread? :laugh: )

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
I'm not a big fan of them, but I can see why skaters like 'em. Especially someone like Meno, who has very long, gorgeous hair.

P.S.

I kinda thought you were going there, since it's hard to find a skater without good "buns" of the other variety! :D

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think they give a classic, finished look to a skater UNLESS they have those little clippies everywhere to hold the shorter hair back (hate that). I appreciate when a skater makes the effort to look pulled together from hair and makeup to clean boots.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
OK, I have to admit I thought this was going to be a thread about something else.... :D

Anyway -- I think Jenni has a very Edwardian look when she does her hair up like that. I think in general it's a very classy look. Tonia Kwiatkowski was very much into this look as well. I remember reading that at her last couple of Nationals, there was pressure on her to go another direction with her hair because the way of thinking was, she was older than everyone else to begin with without having a look that reminded everyone of this fact. Meanwhile, Michelle had a bun going during those same years and no-one was accusing HER of looking like someone's grandmother..... :\

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Tonia Kwiatkowski was very much into this look as well.

I love beautiful buns! :)

But, I too wanted to see Tonia try something different. Personally, I don't think it made her look that much older...but for some reason it made her look somewhat severe to me. She wore her hair down at the 1995 Nationals and was beautiful. I always found it gave her a "softer" look. But, I did understand and agree with some of the criticisms. She definitely tried to "soften" her skating style for the 98 Olympic year...but the bun stayed! At any rate, I always loved her and wouldn't have cared if she shaved herself completely bald. She was a fantastic skater with a great attitude.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Tonia only wore a bun for two seasons, and not even in sucession!

93-94 her hair was short.

95 her hair was mid length, but still too short to wear in a bun.

96 she wore it in a bun

97 she wore a pony tail in the SP and and a French braid in the LP.

98 she was back to the bun.

Antilles

Medalist
I also thought it was something else. That would have been a tough competition. What is it about skating that makes those glutes look so good?

I'd have to say Krylova. Michelle's looks good, but I'd like to see her wear it down more. I don't like Jenny's. She seems to have fine hair, and I don't like tiny buns. I never liked Anissina in a bun either. It really changed her face. Katarina Witt looks good in a bun. Hmm, drawing a blank on others...

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Antilles said:
Katarina Witt looks good in a bun.
I don't think I've even seen her in a bun. At least not the traditional ballet type. During her eligable days she seemd to wear either a pony tail or French braids. Any pictures? Google turned up nothing.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
1988 Olympics Katarina's Carmen, her hair is in a bun close to the neck with a sort of net covering it, and a big red flower on top. Also at the same Olympics I have a picture of her in one of my books that shows her hair in a bun while performing a compulsory figure.

Last edited:

Pookie

Final Flight
I just had to look at this topic. I was sure Idleracer had posted it. :laugh: Wrong kind of buns. :p

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I always thought Nicole Bobek looked stunning with a bun. She had such a pretty face. I preferred Midori Ito without a bun, though. I think it went better with her personality. She did look great also with short hair in 1996...but far too thin!

humbaba

Final Flight
I think you have to have nice ears to look good in a bun. Hair pulled back in a bun makes large ears or ears that stick out alot even more obvious. Also, buns aren't flattering to someone with a very high hairline in front, or a very low hairline at the nape.

Other than that, I find the bun a very classy and attractive 'do for skaters.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
dlkksk8fan said:
1988 Olympics Katarina's Carmen, her hair is in a bun close to the neck with a sort of net covering it, and a big red flower on top. Also at the same Olympics I have a picture of her in one of my books that shows her hair in a bun while performing a compulsory figure.
Kat's "bun" http://www.pedi-marketing.net/stamps/sport/kor-witt.jpg Certainly not the classic ballet bun, I'm still not totally convinced it's a bun at all. When I think bun, I think http://www.autographsonline.com/Scans/kerrigan21624.jpg