Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: East German Figure Skaters

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnuva
    Listening to Witt's comments about her just some weeks ago I have the impression that she still has a lot of respect for Jutta Müller, even though her lifestyles are surely a lot different. And I don't think you can reduce this just to the fact that Müller helped her to win gold or something. Those two worked together for many years and I doubt Witt would have such good words about her if Müller would have not done a lot for Witt besides just pushing her in the practice.
    As I wrote earlier, I would never defend the East German government, and I was more than happy when West and East Germany reunited. Frau Muller had a good relationship with her skaters - or so it seemed - yet she was one very strict and stern drillmaster. She was quoted at saying to Annet Poetzsch just before the long program at the 1980 Winter Olympics, "You must fight. You must go for the jumps. You must win."

In the void
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    She was quoted at saying to Annet Poetzsch just before the long program at the 1980 Winter Olympics, "You must fight. You must go for the jumps. You must win."
    Hm. Do you think those sentences are that unusual between coaches and skaters?

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnuva
    Hm. Do you think those sentences are that unusual between coaches and skaters?
    Of course not. However, given the context of the 1980 Winter Olympics, with East German Jan Hoffman winning "only" a silver medal, Annet Poetzsch was in the position of being the first East German woman to win Olympic gold in figure skating. That's quite a lot of pressure. We will never know how much pressure was placed on Frau Muller by the DGR sports federation to bring home the gold from Lake Placid.

I liked the approach Janet Lynn's coach used - she would tell Janet, just before she skated, "Go out and tell a story."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3