Karen Chen on-ice collision article | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Karen Chen on-ice collision article

skatefan17

On the Ice
Not saying what she said isn't true, but there always seems to be an excuse for Karen. Stop making excuses and perform! It's like setting her up to underperform before Worlds even starts.

Meoima

Match Penalty
;) US fans should take it easy. Some people just comment that her statement is weird. It does not mean we dislike her more or less because of that. There is nothing wrong with people having opinion on your wording in public statements. That's life.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I like Karen and I also think that comment of her sounds so weird. :noshake: It is just so weird to say you forgive someone when it's not their fault.

It probably would have been best if Karen spoke of the training accident in general without mentioning the other skater (who must feel even worse now that the incident is out there in the media). I agree it's odd for Karen to say that she 'forgives' the skater then goes on to say it 'wasn't really her fault'. But as others have said, Karen is young and quite new to the attention. She'll learn.

What I found most alarming about this interview was that AGAIN, a top U.S. skater arrived at an event with boots that were not fit for competition.
And, no, I'm not blaming a 17-year-old; I'm blaming her coach and whatever USFSA official is in charge of making sure that team members have proper
support with their equipment.

Really, if the skates are in such poor condition, what point is there in any of the other preparations?

It was mentioned in the article that she has a back up pair and another pair on the way. Hopefully she'll put all of this out of her mind and be able to put forth two great skates. I do like that she consulted with Zueva regarding her footwork.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
;) US fans should take it easy. Some people just comment that her statement is weird. It does not mean we dislike her more or less because of that. There is nothing wrong with people having opinion on your wording in public statements. That's life.

I would note that giving an extemporaneous oral answer to a question -- as Karen was doing -- is very different from issuing a written statement.

When someone issues a written statement, the best-case scenario is that they have the luxury of taking the time to edit and to re-write (and perhaps to seek assistance from others) to formulate the most precise (and non-"weird") wording possible.

Seventeen-year-old Karen certainly did not have that luxury. She was on a phone line reacting in real time to a group of professional reporters pressing her for detail after detail about the collision. She had kept her original reference to the collision "short and sweet" (my words). And I do mean "sweet" -- in the sense that her emphasis was on the positive news that she had fully recovered and is feeling great.

Title was edited for clarity. Collisions was changed to Collision.

Thank you, Specs :thank:.

On a general level, I will add that the full audio of these skater Q & A teleconferences (not only Karen's) often comes across VERY differently from the framing by Reporter X or Reporter Y of a limited number of quotes within a print article.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would note that giving an extemporaneous oral answer to a question -- as Karen was doing -- is very different from issuing a written statement.

When someone issues a written statement, the best-case scenario is that they have the luxury of taking the time to edit and to re-write (and perhaps to seek assistance from others) to formulate the most precise (and non-"weird") wording possible.

Seventeen-year-old Karen certainly did not have that luxury. She was on a phone line reacting in real time to a group of professional reporters pressing her for detail after detail about the collision. She had kept her original reference to the collision "short and sweet" (my words). And I do mean "sweet" -- in the sense that her emphasis was on the positive news that she had fully recovered and is feeling great.

Thank you, Specs :thank:.

On a general level, I will add that the full audio of these skater Q & A teleconferences (not only Karen's) often comes across VERY differently from the framing by Reporter X or Reporter Y of a limited number of quotes within a print article.

Very very well put. And exactly true. On paper, "another skater collided with me, I don't blame her but I forgive her" sounds arrogant...like she really does blame the other skater.....but she is being "big" and forgiving her. But put the statement in the context of the conditions and things can be said that are not really meant and come out wrong......just ask my wife about some things I say to her that come out wrong. ;) Why, I have even noted some politicians tweet things that come out oh so wrong.

I am curious about skating boots and the process of how they are fitted to a skater by professional boot makers.....

TGee

Record Breaker
I am curious about skating boots and the process of how they are fitted to a skater by professional boot makers.....

You will find a lot on this scattered about in the Lutz corner. Most skates are pre-made, but some brands will make custom adjustments, and others specialize in custom boots. Many of us on GS make great efforts to convince skaters and their families early on that it is worth it to travel to get to a good fitter and to try out different brands. Or, to get custom supports or skate orthodics from a qualified sports podiatrist as well as guidance about the correct balance line on which to mount the blades. I've been thinking we need a sticky thread there on getting skates that fit and correct mounting of blades.

But some skaters with unusual shaped feet seem to struggle through and after their growth spurts no matter how good the fitter who works with them is. And when a skater signs on with a particular skate sponsor at a young age, there is a risk that the sponsor's boots won't continue to be a good choice for them after they grow. Or even that no standard boot will work for them.

For example, Kevin Reynolds had notoriously narrow feet and severe problems, even going so far as to fly to Italy to get his skate sponsor to fit his boots. He still ending using a right and left from different pairs through the Olympic season. One wonders in hindsight how much the boot issues contributed to his labral tear injury or whether the tear made him more sensitive to boot issues. However, after most of a year off for surgery and rehab, he happily found his feet had changed and he now is able to find boots that fit.

Karen's story is starting to sound too much like Kevin's. There may be more than one underlying issue, both in her body and in the boots and blades. And certainly body memory can't lock in when a skater can't count on the balance of the blade to be where he/she expects it.

TGee

Record Breaker
I just find the focus on this interview and article weird.

Agree with you VB....

This seems like a lot of coverage for a mild collision....say as compared to the one that broke Kaetlyn Osmond's fibula, cost her more than a year of training, and nearly ended her career.

On the other hand, I understand that the media need to ask reasonable questions when a national champion underperforms at a major international event.

And perhaps the issue is that figure skating is so covert about both injuries and training accidents as compared to other sports. It may be a better attitude in the mind of the judging panels, but I have to wonder if it does a disservice to the sports coverage and the popularity of the sport.

After all, if track fans happily listen to every detail of knee and ankle issues and spasms, maybe figure skating would do better if skaters and their coaches would pull back the curtain on the reality of the sport a bit more.

Certainly, we're talking about a different kind of coverage for a different kind of audience....but it would seem a fit with a more information-seeking fan base that COP/IJS would appeal to, something like other sports [baseball] where fans know the likelihood of success on a given action/element and how injury can impact that.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
You will find a lot on this scattered about in the Lutz corner. Most skates are pre-made, but some brands will make custom adjustments, and others specialize in custom boots. Many of us on GS make great efforts to convince skaters and their families early on that it is worth it to travel to get to a good fitter and to try out different brands. Or, to get custom supports or skate orthodics from a qualified sports podiatrist as well as guidance about the correct balance line on which to mount the blades. I've been thinking we need a sticky thread there on getting skates that fit and correct mounting of blades.

But some skaters with unusual shaped feet seem to struggle through and after their growth spurts no matter how good the fitter who works with them is. And when a skater signs on with a particular skate sponsor at a young age, there is a risk that the sponsor's boots won't continue to be a good choice for them after they grow. Or even that no standard boot will work for them.

For example, Kevin Reynolds had notoriously narrow feet and severe problems, even going so far as to fly to Italy to get his skate sponsor to fit his boots. He still ending using a right and left from different pairs through the Olympic season. One wonders in hindsight how much the boot issues contributed to his labral tear injury or whether the tear made him more sensitive to boot issues. However, after most of a year off for surgery and rehab, he happily found his feet had changed and he now is able to find boots that fit.

Karen's story is starting to sound too much like Kevin's. There may be more than one underlying issue, both in her body and in the boots and blades. And certainly body memory can't lock in when a skater can't count on the balance of the blade to be where he/she expects it.

Very interesting...thanks!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Karen is still very young and has never been under a spotlight this bright.

She's 17!!!! I was in college (actually had college credits since I was 16) at 17. That is not still very young.... Well maybe to my 101 y/o grandmother, but still. These boot issues are getting very old... I'm kinda thinking Mirai would take her place. I have no confidence in Karen in the next two weeks. I predict Mariah will place ahead of her.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
She's 17!!!! I was in college (actually had college credits since I was 16) at 17. That is not still very young.... Well maybe to my 101 y/o grandmother, but still. These boot issues are getting very old... I'm kinda thinking Mirai would take her place. I have no confidence in Karen in the next two weeks. I predict Mariah will place ahead of her.

17 is still young. Many college students say and do things they wouldn't do once they gain more experience and maturity. Heck, many adults in their 30s and older say things that come out the wrong way. The boot issues may be getting old, but that doesn't make them any less real.

Like I said in an earlier thread, Karen's team should tell Karen what to say and what not to say because it was easy to predict that people would tear her apart for bringing up her boot issues again. It's better to say nothing after a bad skate and just let people think bad things of you than to make excuses, which will just exacerbate the problem. Give them no explanations/excuses and thus give them less ammo.

Last edited: