2. Fratianne in Lake Placid
    3. Hoffman in Lake Placid
    4. Torvil&Dean in Lillehammar
    5. Blumburg &Seibert in Sarajevo
    6. Sumners in Sarajevo
    7. 8. 9. 10. tbd

Which results have you ?

Berthes.........I agree.........I would add Elvis in Lillehammer......42
    Last edited by show 42; 08-12-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    1. Lulu at Worlds 1996 in Edmonton
    2. Irina in the SP at Oly's 2002 in SLC
    3. Kulik at Worlds 1996 in Edmonton
    4. Abt at Euros 2002 in Lausanne
    5. Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze at Worlds 2001 in Vancouver
    6. Shen/Zhao at Worlds 1999 in Helsinki
    7. Abt at Worlds 2002 in Nagano (should've been Yags, Abt, Honda)
    8. Lambiel in the LP at Worlds 2004 in Dortmund

That's all I can think of right now.

Anke

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    In no particular order:

1) Stephane Lambiel, 2004 Worlds LP (should have been second, NOT fourth)
    2) Alexander Abt, 2002 Europeans LP (should have been first, not second)
    3) Torvill & Dean, 1994 Olympics FD (should have been first, not third)
    4) Irina Slutskaya, 2002 Olympics SP (should have been first, not second)
    5) Todd Eldredge, 2001 Worlds LP (should have been second, not third)
    6) Shen & Zhao, 1999 Worlds LP (should have been first, not second)
    7) Chengjiang Li, 2003 Worlds LP (should have been third, not fourth)
    8) Nancy Kerrigan, 1994 Olympics LP (should have been first, not second, although I much much prefer Oksana's skating)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, decisions that I mostly don't understand at all, as in "how in the heck can they give them that placement?? Are they even watching????????"

Custom Title
    Let me see:

1. Michelle Kwan & Sarah Hughes, 2002 GPF 2nd LP - I thought both Michelle and Sarah skated far better than Irina that night. I know Michelle had the fall, but Irina was sloppy and only landed four clean triple jumps. I was sort of shocked when her marks popped up....they were quite high for technical merit and not deservedly so, IMHO. But, I like Irina, so I wasn't extremely peeved!

2. Todd Eldredge, 2001 Worlds LP - I thought he deserved silver also. His LP was excellent. Alexei was as riveting as always, but I felt Todd had a slight edge over him.

3. Nancy Kerrigan, 1994 Olympics LP - I love Oksana and I also prefer her style....but I felt Nancy deserved the gold that night. I know the technical mark is not all about the jumps, but Oksana's 3f was flawed and the 2a/2t combo was very messy. I agree that it was a close contest, but I thought Nancy had the edge.

4. Elvis Stojko, 1994 Olympics LP - There aren't too many that agree with me on this one. But, I always enjoyed that particular LP of Elvis's and felt, overall, he was the best. I've never been a big Urmanov fan, though. He had a nice quality on the ice, but I was always left feeling sort of cold after his performances.

5. Vanessa Gusmeroli, 2000 Worlds LP - Vanessa was never a brilliant artist or a masterful technician, but her "Legends of the Fall" LP in Nice was so wonderful. I was so proud of her for putting down a brilliant skate. I would have definitely put her at least above Butirskaya in the LP, possibly even Slutskaya. It was a great moment for her.

6. Michelle Kwan, 1995 Worlds SP - I agree with her LP placement, but fifth place for the most technically difficult program in the SP phase was a bit low. She hadn't refined her presentation skills yet, but she certainly deserved to be in at least 4th above a flawed Bonaly.

7. Woetzl & Steuer, 1998 Olympics LP - Sorry, I am probably very alone on this one, but I thought they deserved the silver medal. B&S were sublime and wonderful, etc....but they made some big mistakes. W&S had small mistakes, but I felt overall they were slightly better...but that is just me of course!

8. Maria Butirskaya, 1998 Worlds LP - I thought Maria deserved the silver medal in Minneapolis. Irina was unpolished and extremely sloppy...and her much touted set of 3/3s weren't that clean or spectacular.

9. Ina & Zimmerman, 2002 Olympics LP - I would have had them at least in 4th over the uninspiring T&M.

10. Angela Nikidinov, 2001 Nationals LP - Sarah skated a very good program and I wouldn't necessarily say it was robbery, but I personally always felt Angela had the better skate that night. I would have given Angela the silver.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    1. Alexander Abt - 2002 Euros. There was no contest here, the judges went on name recognition alone.

2. Matt Savoie - US Nationals 2002 - should've had the bronze and gone to the Olympics. Mike Weiss was beyond putrid in that performance, but was completely held up.

Those are the only two that get my blood boiling. While I think Evgeni should've won GPF 2001, I can see it going either way.

Laura

Custom Title
    I would add Natalia & Artur in Lillehammer. Should have been gold.

The only time I remember being totally furious was Yuka Sato placing over Surya Bonaly at 1994 Worlds. I thought Surya mopped up the ice with her. I just couldn't understand it.

Later when I learned more about the sport I started to appreciate everything that Yuka brings to the ice, so I got over it.

Mathman

What about that Lithuanian Dance Team in 2002 Olys at least for bronze if not gold.?

Joe

Custom Title
    1. Sarah Hughes at '00 Nationals. She should've had silver. Everyone complains about Sasha's placement, when actually it was a 5/4 split between Sarah and Sasha, and Sarah should've had the silver.

2. Sarah Hughes, and Michelle Kwan at the GPF 02. There was no way Irina S. won that competition. Peggy had it right when she called it Irina's early Christmas gift. I don't recall there being a huge outcry at the time, and I don't remember Sarah or Michelle making such a fuss like Irina did at SLC. They could have, and should have!

3. Sarah Hughes Olympic LP 02. She should've had all 1st place votes!
    (same year as GPF 02. Did they want to give it to Irina, or what?! )

4. All the skaters that placed under Sasha at Skate America when she kept trying the quad. They should've protested that result!
    Last edited by Fossi; 08-12-2004 at 06:48 PM.

On the Ice
    Hi All,

This is my first post - I've been lurking awhile.

The biggest wuzrobbed I can remember is Fratianne @ Lake Placid. Yes, I will agree with anyone that says Linda was not a Kwan/Cohen/Ota etc artistically, however, she was no slouch and absolutely 1000 x better than Poetsch and also outskated Poetsch technically in both SP and LP by a considerable margin too IMO (including lovely 3s-2l in the short!).

Oksana/Nancy gets a lot of press on the boards, however the difference is that people can still find arguments for and against for either, whereas Linda, IMO, was just totally better in the freestyle competitions and, try as I might, I can't understand how Poetsch's "superiority" in the figures was so great that Linda, in third after the figures AFAIR, could not make up the ground in the other two competition phases unless there was some extremely dodgy marking of the figures. I mean, it's not like Linda had poor figures, like eg, Denise Beilman or Midori and had to always make up huge ground in the freestyle competitions. Linda and Annette had swopped world titles the previous 3 years, with Linda winning twice, so all of a sudden at Lake Placid, Annette turns into Trixie Schuba and is so much better???? I think not. All just IMO....

BTW, I Goldenskate

Great post, OwenEvens. Welcome aboard!

Mathman

PS. I'm sure that there will be plenty of folks who will be glad to tell you why Fratianne was terrible and Poetsche deserved to win.

Banned
    I was so at the 98 Winter Games win Tara Lipinski won the gold medal over Michelle Kwan who one the silver that night and she was in first and should have stayed in first after the long program. I was going to petion it after the games but I heard Michelle would have not thought it was special if the had 2 gold medals in an interweiw. (SP)

Custom Title
    - Lu Chen in 1996 Worlds FS
    - Ilia Kulik in 1996 Worlds FS
    - Shen & Zhao in 1999 Worlds FS
    - Todd Eldredge in 2001 Worlds FS
    - Alexander Abt in 2002 Europeans FS
    - Irina Slutskaya in 2002 Olympics SP
    - L&A in 2003 Worlds FS
    - Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze in 2002 Olympics FS
    - Stephane Lambiel in 2004 Worlds FS

Marjaana

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Btw., I always wonder where all this "Elvis-should've-won-in-Lillehammer"-stuff comes from. This is just another legend! In fact it wasn't even close, only one judge gave a 1st place to Stojko, two went for Petrenko and six (including the CANADIAN! one!) for Urmanov.

Anke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast