Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Sasha? Fiery/Attitude or Graceful/Beautiful?

Custom Title

Which Sasha? Fiery/Attitude or Graceful/Beautiful?

Lately I can't decide which Sasha I like better! The fiery, competitive Sasha that we saw in her Malaguena program, or the "Porcelain Doll" graceful, beautiful Sasha that we saw in her Swan Lake program?

I think that both sides of her are equally strong! I don't think either one is better than the other, and I like both equally the same! What about all of you, which side do you like better and which side do you think is stronger?

Custom Title
    I think her attitude shines through the most. It's what she is known for having.
    I didn't really like her Swan Lake program except for at the cheesefests when the pressure was off for her. That's really the only time I've ever seen her be graceful

Custom Title
    Sasha is stunning no matter what music she skates to. Swan Lake was beautiful, Romeo and Juliet was magic, and Malaguena was stunning and exciting. I love to watch her skate and she is wonderful no matter what the music is.
    Other skaters do nice work too but Sasha has a God given gift that is heavenly to watch.

Custom Title
    I'd have to say I definitely prefer the fiery/determined Sasha. My biggest complaint about her was that she never really seemed to showcase genuine emotion...it was more like she was going through the motions (although they were beautifully executed motions!). "Malaguena" was a huge step in the right direction and her 2004 Worlds performance of that program was awesome. She looked great as always and was stunning in so many positions...but she also added to that a lot of feeling and that made her stand out. She truly let it go and I haven't seen her do that very often. I sometimes feel the same about Michelle. She and Sasha are always beautiful to watch because they do everything so well, but without the fire/passion they can sometimes appear flat. I guess by being so good, people expect that much more from you....and I think that is a great compliment (if not sometimes a lot to live up to).

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_icesk8er915
    Lately I can't decide which Sasha I like better! The fiery, competitive Sasha that we saw in her Malaguena program, or the "Porcelain Doll" graceful, beautiful Sasha that we saw in her Swan Lake program?

I think that both sides of her are equally strong! I don't think either one is better than the other, and I like both equally the same! What about all of you, which side do you like better and which side do you think is stronger?

I definitely prefer Sasha as the fiery competitor. So I admit I'm disappointed in her music choices for this upcoming season. When Sasha has fiery music it shows in her eyes and in her skating. She is much stronger and that's what made her sp at Worlds so great. It fits her emotions as a competitor. Whereas in her slower elegant peices I think are a large part of the reason she's struggled with delivering clean lp's. The slow music restrains her competitive spirit because she's trying to be so graceful and soft with the music instead of letting her release it and deliver. And because she's so focused on her program and the music doesn't let her just let it out she starts thinking and she falls. I'm not thrilled with her choices this season but I hope she skates well nonetheless.

Custom Title
    Generally speaking I like Sasha as a fiery competitor, but would wish that she would not feel too fiery. I mean the way she was in the first minute of her LP in Dortmund. I hope she finds the right balance that works for her in competitions.

About her programmes, I would just say that Sasha is fortunate as she is able to interpret so many different kinds of music. I have aways prefered to watch skaters that are versatile.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-19-2004 at 04:53 AM.

Fiery/Attitude definitely. She is a bravura ballerina and that is her forte.. Swan Lake btw, was a bravura piece of music, although she included a lyrical passage in her program, the Grand Pas de Deux of the Black Swan. It did not, for me, have the spark that most of the music had..

Malaguena, of course is just what she does best, and Dark Eyes will follow in that mode. She'll be ready for high scores this season with DE.

Just my opinion.

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    IMHO, Sasha Cohen needs to stop thinking so much during her program and just rely on muscle memory. She has the skills and talent to perform gorgeous programs, yet she always makes several major mistakes and misses winning major championships.

At last year's US Nationals, Dick Button made a comment (to paraphrase) that Cohen always looks angry and/or frightened when she skates and needs to relax and just let it go. I totally agree.

Custom Title
    I like her fiery attitude. Absolutely! I don't think romantic, soft or lyrical melodies suit her because she is such an outgoing, fiery person herself. She needs music that has pulsating rhythms not things like the Pas de Deux from the Nutcracker which is repetitive.

But I will enjoy whatever she skates to just as long as SHE enjoys it and it shows on her face. Swan Lake did not do that for her and I fear this won't either. Dark Eyes - well, I'll wait on that one. Until Sasha can lose herself in the music (as she did in both seasons that she used Malaguena), her emotions will always looked somewhat forced to me.

defintely firey Sasha. the graceful/lyrical Sasha always seems forced to me. When she's firey its genuine.

Just to be contrary, I'll vote for the beautiful, lyrical Sasha. To me, this side of her skating is just as genuine and heartfelt as her fiery, competitive side.

Mathman

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_icesk8er915
    :( I have no idea what you guys are all talking about. I've seen two Sasha's skate live. Dortmund SP was a great example of lively Sasha who skates with vest and conviction. Dortmund LP was a great example of scared, nervous Sasha who is deperately trying to skate clean so she can win, but forgets to put any other emotion in her program. Lyrical Sasha? Never met her.

I like Sasha's fire! Her Malaguena is the reason I fell in love with her as a skater

Down With It
    Here's my take on it (all IMO of course):

I think the former, "fiery", "determined", "aggressive" suits her better, because that's how she comes across, and that's her skating style. If she skates to anything else (such as an emotional song) she has to "force" her expressions. I think the key here is it isn't her style. She comes across to me a little too "cold" to really pull it off in my eyes. I don't think conveying emotion is her strong suit. That's Kwan's territory (well, sometimes ).

However, I think she CAN look great doing a slower song (R&J comes to my mind here). It's the fiery, aggressive tone though that sells her most.

Just my 2 cents.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    :( I have no idea what you guys are all talking about. I've seen two Sasha's skate live. Dortmund SP was a great example of lively Sasha who skates with vest and conviction. Dortmund LP was a great example of scared, nervous Sasha who is deperately trying to skate clean so she can win, but forgets to put any other emotion in her program. Lyrical Sasha? Never met her.
    I would say that Sasha was not scared, she was way too strongly fiery, with a too strong will to do her skating perfectly. She approached her two first jumps (supposed to be combinations?) with such attack, that she got them only as single triple. She still has to find the right balance to work for her in competitions.

About lyrical Sasha, I seem to remember some piano music (?) that she skated to in US Nationals years ago? As far as I remember that was a lyrical Sasha and that was what won me over to become a fan.

Marjaana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast