2017 World Ladies SP | Page 116 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

katymay

Medalist
I agree, I just don't get it. She meanders around slowly, her jumps are anemic, spins are nothing special I don't even like tanos, has a certain juvenile lady quality. Her skating might be pretty, but her skating bores me. Osmond, to me, has that WOW factor, at least in the short.

herro

On the Ice
No, any performance can be compared to another. That's exactly what judges need to be doing and need to understand. The whole point of CoP is that the scores are supposed to be universal.

Definitely not. There are cycles and seasons where scores are generally more conservative, and others where scores on the whole tend to be higher. I agree that CoP was designed to be more objective, but there's no denying a subjective element of scoring, and the standards and baselines in terms of what scores a singular performance deserves fluctuates from season to season. One performance, if given in a different season, would likely get different scores, and the difference could be pretty drastic depending on what season you're talking about.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I alleged in Radionova's fan club page that she is TAT's favorite active skater. Don't forget that Radio is from club CSKA and that TAT consults (she's not a full-time coach) for CSKA.

TAT squeaks really loud when commentating Radionova in competition :biggrin: It makes sense now.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Nope. It's the GOEs. She has negative on the 3Lo, and the combo didn't get much either.

Fine. I was just trying to guess in the heat of moment. You can find it in in protols already now ;) Landing after 3Lo was kinda uncharacteristicaly tight for sure (for Pogorilaya standards), but could have been worse. Either way I conjectured that she would not get SB or PB for SB, or really close to it after she finished even without looking at TES box unless with Medvedeva's PCS (that is impossible) for now at least.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I finally watched the ladies. Quite an impressive competition so far. Judging in general is OK although some obvious calls were not made like Karen Chen's 180 degrees hook. But her spins were nice and her spiral is lovely. And she is the US champion. Hence, both her place and score are inside the "decency" range.

Pleasant surprises:

Ivett Tott. Never paid attention to her. But she skated - I would not just say good - she skated eye-catching. Well done.

Wakaba. That's the best skating I have seen from her. I am still not a fan. But I cannot deny that she has improved a lot in expressiveness and presentation. And her lyrical program is also eye-catching.

Liz Tursunbaeva. Finally clean, finally she does not look like a baby. Still slim but I guess she grew a couple of centimeters. Good effort!

Disappointment:

Caro. I don't think she has any podium chances skating like that. It's a replica of her own self from the previous quad although a weaker one. Her Bolero StSq was impressive and it was fresh. Now she does something similar but it does not impress any longer. And her jumps and spins are no good. Sad but true.

Final group:

Zhenya. She is one of the kind. Whatever local "analysts" say she is just the best now. No one can fly over the ice like she does. And her 3F-3T with the added rippon is just a masterpiece. Only a disaster can deprive her of the title.

Osmond. I like her SP. It is full of joy and energy. And she jumps big although her flat/inside edge on lutz is there. While some people complain about Medvedeva's "milking the system" they keep ignoring the fact that Kaetlyn is also doing the same betting 3 times on the most expensive jump with the hope that her wrong edge will be ignored. Anyway, Osmond was a clear #2. The 3.5 point difference between her and Medvedeva is fair and obvious. For one thing, she skates well but she does not fly.

Daleman. Speed, power, and a big 3T-3T. I shall not question her 3rd place although her program for me is totally forgettable. It's not eye-catching like the ones from, say, Ivett and Wakaba.

Pogo. She had to be clean. She has a powerful tango program and you want to submerge into it. Shaky landings and subpar spins prevent you from that. So I could not fully connect. If she were perfect I would put her next to Osmond with 75+

Ashley. I don't see that she was worse than in Boston: still skittish and sassy. I expected 71-72 for her effort. But she got only 69 with a drop in pcs as well. Looks like she had to win the Nationals.

Sotskova. She is getting better. The first spin is still slow but during the test skates in Sochi it was plain bad. I think her challenge will be to find the style that will distinguish her. Skating just well is not enough as she is Russian #3. She will keep getting the discount. And next year Zagitova is coming. And Radionova will hopefully seek for redemption. I think last year Maria moved in the right direction with Black and magic woman.

randomfan

Record Breaker
EDIT: FOUND A VIDEO OF ELIZABET!!:yahoo:

It's been a long time since I last did these reviews...

1. Evgenia Medvedeva: I liked the new rippon. Enough said...(goes into a room and :curse:)
2. Kaetlyn Osmond: Should have won the SP for sure. I'm hoping she does well in the FS and makes Canada proud with a podium finish. Skating last is never exciting for a skater, so I hope she can fight through that obstacle.
3. Gabrielle Daleman: Gabby was one of my favourites this season so it's great to see that she delivered well in this segment. I'm hoping for a good FS too!
4. Anna Pogorilaya: Actually, I agree with her being behind Gabby, though the margin should've been even closer. Anna is in a good position and she's not too far away from the top 2 so a clean FS may move her up.
5. Karen Chen: My opinion of this program went from "it's an okay program but doesn't speak out to me" to one of my favourites of the season. It's amazing that she choreographed this beautiful program herself (though it's written that someone else did it too?:confused:). If Karen does well in the FS, I say the US will keep their 3 spots.
6. Maria Sotskova: I'm a fan of Maria, but even I felt disappointed today. I was never a fan of the SP (while I love the FS contrary to many other people), but today's performance was a little more underwhelming than the other ones even though it was clean. It feels bland and boring (probably the 1000th time someone said that). Anyways, the Euros FS was a nightmare so I hope Maria gains redemption for this time.
7. Ashley Wagner: It's a relief that Ashley won't have to worry as much about the 3 spots now. But I'm sad that she just barely missed the final group. Hopefully she utilises the underdog position well to move up in the FS like Anna.
8. Carolina Kostner: I say she was overscored, but not by much. This program is actually brilliant in terms of music connection, performance, and Caro's fantastic SS contribute as well. In the midst of no Mao and overscored PCS, Caro really does shine.
9. Wakaba Higuchi: Should've been scored higher, though I agree that PCS should not have crossed 30 (close though). It's too bad to see that Wakaba delivered yet the 3rd spot will most likely be gone now. So I hope Wakaba can focus on doing well for a higher placement.
10. Elizabet Tursynbaeva: Another fun performance from Elizabet and I enjoyed it a lot! Her mom's reactions in the kiss and cry were hilarious but her own reactions to her mom were even more hilarious :laugh:
11. Dabin Choi: Whew! That's one part of her mission done - the other being a good FS and a top 10 finish. Dabin, you can do it! :clap:
12. Rika Hongo: Poor Rika looked exhausted and even a little ill. :cry: The FS here will very likely be her real final Riverdance so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Last edited:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Yeah, and the Russians and Chinese are way behind on many things and are shells of what they used to be. I'm saying that as someone who was one of the biggest supporters of Chinese and Russian/Soviet gymnastics.

Actually China would fare much better if the FIG and the WTC weren't after their blood. I understand your remark, but I think my point still stands, even if they are behind in other aspects.

Barb

Record Breaker
Evgenia is overscored but she definitely has improved, her next challenge is show us that she is capable of to skate a real program and no the garbage that her team gave her this season. And I am not talking about distribute the jumps, I think is perfectly possible to make a great program with jumps at the second half. She needs to make us forget that she is winning because jumps. I know that she does not really need it to do changes, but I get the impression that she is capable of much more.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm in love with the way Kaetlyn just moves across the ice. Her jumps also show that power and great landing edges can also yield great GOE. It's nice to see classic excellent basic skating be rewarded. Med's Rippon was also very impressive and actually aesthetically pleasing.

qwerty1195

On the Ice
The worst part is, she looked like she expected a higher score. I was like GURRRL you just recieved PCS that only the QUEENS of ice (Yuna, Mao, Carolina) can achieve. And you want more? I think she is super cute and talented but seriously GURLL you have been spoiled with those inflated scores. Its a shame because she wont have an incentive to improve.

I remember when Yuna first burst onto the scene with Tango de Roxanne. That girl slayyed the damn house with her sass and tango and still only received a mere 30.46 PCS. And I feel like that motivation that there is more improvement to be made really made Yuna stronger and she eventually blossomed into a Queen.

She's just a teenager for crying out loud.:slink:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
She's just a teenager for crying out loud.:slink:

And she should be sheltered from all the criticism because of that? Yuna was also a teenager back in 2009. I also think though these scores are not compatible with what is going now. Makes little sense unless for finding curiosities or to back up inflation thesis (that is true).

risingtrot

On the Ice
Meds rippon was definitely a much welcomed change. When she skates I usually don't watch her anymore because it's becoming too 'the same' / monotonous. The song River Flows In You is such a nice song but Meds choreography could have been really better. Hopefully she will get a much better and more 'mature' choreo next time. No miming and stuffs.

I actually thought Mariah Bell did well. Just unfortunate she was on the earlier group.

I find Gabby's personality a bit strong. Almost like you don't want to be enemies with her cause she will rip you to shreads. Don't know how she is in real life though^^. I can definitely sense some rivalry between her and Kaetlyn. They are both good though.

Even if Mai and Wakaba would do well in FS, I think they would need those ahead of them to make mistakes. Kind of sad, but I have a feeling it will be just 2 spots for Japan next Olympics. It could be a good thing though cause everyone would need to compete harder and improve. It will break a lot of hearts though for those who will miss the spot in the Olympics.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn's skate was the performance of the day for me. .

I'm quoting myself :rolleye:(I know, right?!) because I want to say that actually, Karen and Kaetlyn both performed their programs with such perfection of expression. The two styles, and the programs themselves, are so diametrically opposed. Karen's interpretation is more inward with artistry, while Kaetlyn's is outward and character/story oriented. I love both, and I love that figure skating gives us both.:points:

guitarist

On the Ice
I couldn't stop laughing at Tursynbaeva's mortified reactions to her mom at the kiss and cry. Brian: "Your mother's funny!" Sometimes I forget so many of these skaters are still basically children.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If you have a ceiling of 8 for PCS scores because some long-retired skater earned 8.5's, you have reduced by 20% the possible scores a judge can give.

*sigh*, you never read and think about what was written. I specifically said it doesn't matter what a skater received in the past, we can say NOW that a skater from years ago who received 8.5 deserved 9.5 instead. Thus, all other skaters should be measured by that bar and should not be receiving 9's in comparison.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Let's just say I don't agree with the criteria for GOE, and am personally bothered to see +2s and +3s on average spins and average jumps with tanos especially for a few crop of top skaters. People don't comment on spins as much as jumps but spin GOEs irk me the most.