Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Most Beautiful Skating Costumes

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    Of course my "remember" doesn't work well any more but something sure is in my mind thinking it had been said N K's costume had been given to her.
    Cancell the Doctor's visit, there is nothing wrong with your "remember".
    Wang did all of the Kerrigan stuff as free publicity. at the idea of a welder with 3 kids and a handicapped wife spending $13,000 on a dress.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    Cancell the Doctor's visit, there is nothing wrong with your "remember". Wang did all of the Kerrigan stuff as free publicity. at the idea of a welder with 3 kids and a handicapped wife spending $13,000 on a dress.
    Yes, I know Vera Wang produced Kerrigan's skating costumes at no expense to Nancy's family. However, I still contend that $13,000 is a pretty outrageous amount for a skating costume. Just call it my frugal upbringing.

Tripping on the Podium
    One of my favorite costumes is Alexei's Winter costume. It was perfect - fit the program as well as the skater!!
    I also liked S/P "Love Story" costumes. The costumes themselves did nothing, but with the story/music they were perfect!!

K

IIRC Wang stated it as an opportunity to participate in some way in a sport she loved. I'm sure the free publicity angle never crossed her mind .

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KMK0902
    One of my favorite costumes is Alexei's Winter costume. It was perfect - fit the program as well as the skater!!
    K
    I liked that costume very much too and how it fit.

Dee

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    One of my favorite costume trends was the delicate, feminine and age appropriate dresses that sasha, NNN and sarah wore when they first hit the senior scene. They werent trying to dress like sexy women or little girls... it was nice. My fav was the teal and purple short sleeve beaded dress Naomi wore in 2000.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    so no one likes this?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Nicole Bobek - 1995 US/World long program to "Dr. Zhivago" - stunning gold dress
    Nicole's Dr Zhivago dress was blue with gold accents and an open back. I liked it too.

SkateFan4Life
    I always liked Torvill and Dean's costumes, especially their matching gold
    "Mack and Mabel" outfits, their white "Barnum" costumes, and, of course, their stunning purple "Bolero" costumes.

Remember their 1984 Olympic short program outfits? Dean was a bullfighter, and Torvill was his "cape". Jayne was dressed in a "cape-like" outfit, and at the end of the number, Dean flung his "cape" onto the ice. Jayne spun around and stopped perfected in front of her partner.

Another 6.0!

Skating Soprano
    I *really* dont like Wang. Her dress for Nancy was alright, but it wasnt anything special and looked kind off "off-the-rack-ish" to me. Just my taste.

But...on to the things I do like...

Sasha:
    The first swan lake
    Yellow Dress from 03/04
    My Fair Lady dress (Im a sucker for the neckless look)
    The blue/purple Rach with gold detail. I know a lot of people dislike it, but I love it.

Yuka Sato:
    Her dress from Misty on the time tour. See above about the neckless thing.

Jenny Kirk:
    Chicago
    Her LP dress. I did want her to get a new on after two years, but its still a pretty dress.

Tara:
    The Rainbow
    Color of Roses

Kristi:
    92 Olympic Dress

Peggy Fleming:
    68 Olympics

Medalist
    My faves:
    Katia Gordeeva: The dress for her 1st solo program at A Celebration of a Life
    Michelle Kwan: Any of them actually
    Sasha Cohen: Swan Lake dress at '04 Worlds and Marshalls
    The purple (or blue?) dress w/ the lines on the front that she wore
    at Cup of Russia for the Rachmaninoff program from the '02-03
    GP series.
    Tara Lipinski: My Fair Lady
    Color of Roses
    G&G: The Man I Love
    Vocalise
    Moonlight Sonata
    Out of Tears

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    The green dress that Peggy's mom made for her was made that color because there was a near by town of the same name: Chartreuse is town close to the venue that Peggy skated at to win her gold medal. Her mom was attempting to endear her daughter to the crowd with the symbolism of the color.

And you probably know that AP's mom makes her dresses...and that may be your point...that you don't like them.

So, who then, should make the dresses? A haute couture designer? And what if Vera Wang were to have a daughter that skates? Should she not make a dress for her daughter? It's just sewing, and it is not hard. Is it that you don't think that the quality would be there, or you don't like what you have seen from skating moms so far? I am trying to get a feel for what it is that you don't like about it. I make dresses, and the quality is much better than some of the companies that I have ordered from. You have a total freedom for design and you can really coordinate the costume with your program. Just further food for thought...I am doing som late night rambling, I guess...wait, it's morning.

[QUOTE=berthes ghost]All of the following is of course Just my Personal Opinion

With the possible exception of Peggy's chatruese costume (very savy of Doris to choose a punchy, trendy color for the first Olys to be broadcast "in living color") I don't think that any skater should ever wear anything sewn by their mother.
    Last edited by Glacierskater; 08-25-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    so no one likes this?

GROSS. I have always heard about that and had never seen it. Now I know why all the talk. No, I will have to pass on this fashion disaster

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast