What is the name of this pirouette? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What is the name of this pirouette?

vlaurend

Final Flight
I would say is an extreme version of a PANCAKE SIT SPIN. The pancake sit is typically done with the free leg bent, free foot resting on the knee and skater's torso lying flat on top of it. In this case, the skater's head and torso are under the free leg. Skaters have been doing it for awhile. I remember Victoria Rackohn used to do it about 10 years ago, and she got into it the same way, by putting her leg behind her head and then going down into the sit position: http://www.cs.kent.edu/~walker/photos/06-08-26_NACS_Pit/06-08-26c-JLF/group2/images/DSC_1484.jpg

vlaurend

Final Flight
P.S. Figure skating does not actually use the term pirouette for anything. We simply call them spins. :)

ThomasH

Spectator
The US doesn't have regional contests of 7 year olds.
Our competitions are divided by test level, not by age.

The qualifying levels (regional and sectional) start at juvenile skill level, which does have an upper age limit (under 14). There are occasionally very young skaters competing at that level, but almost never 7 year olds.

The levels below that (no-test, pre-preliminary, preliminary, pre-juvenile) are considered nonqualifying. The kids compete in club competitions, and the club that hosts regionals often decides to host an extra nonqualifying club competitions called "nonqualifying regionals" the same year.

The skaters are divided by test level first. At large competitions including a nonqualifying regionals, there will be many groups for girls at each level, which are often divided by age, and the competition might take the top few from each group at the same test level to a final round with the best from all age groups at that level.

A young skater who is trying but not consistently rotating double flips and lutzes and maybe double-doubles would compete pre-juvenile.

She wouldn't be competing against other skaters of her own age who compete at lower levels where harder doubles or any doubles are not allowed.

The winners will be the ones who skate with ease and power and land most of their jumps clean and rotated. Not necessarily the ones who try the hardest jumps allowed at that level.

And you can't directly compare skaters of the same age across different test levels. The US system is not designed to compare skaters based on age.

This is an interesting system you have in your country. I think it can be really senseful, but on the other hand, it is difficult to compare e.g. an 8 year old gilr with a 12 year old (in terms of expression, choreographic skills etc....). Besides, when it comes to international competitions, there will be some kind of age-regulation.

But every system has its advantages an disadvantages. Waht you mention ("with ease and power....") is in my opinion not really good. I think you should be honored for "trying" the difficult jump instead of being punished for not landing it clear. This would help all athletes. This kinda leads to a system, where you can win with a "safety" run. But on the long term, there is no space for safety. You always have to get the best out of you, not just 80%.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is an interesting system you have in your country. I think it can be really senseful, but on the other hand, it is difficult to compare e.g. an 8 year old gilr with a 12 year old (in terms of expression, choreographic skills etc....). Besides, when it comes to international competitions, there will be some kind of age-regulation.

But every system has its advantages an disadvantages. Waht you mention ("with ease and power....") is in my opinion not really good. I think you should be honored for "trying" the difficult jump instead of being punished for not landing it clear. This would help all athletes. This kinda leads to a system, where you can win with a "safety" run. But on the long term, there is no space for safety. You always have to get the best out of you, not just 80%.
Safety and giving everyone a participation award is not was competitons are for. :sarcasm: Otherwise no one would advance.

concorde

Medalist

Even on the international level, you have a mix of ages. To compete as a "Juniors," girls have to be between 13 and 18 and "Seniors" are 15 and up (I think I got that right). Again, they are competing based on skills, not age.

With ice skating, rarely do you get a direct apples-to-apples comparison.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It's also difficult to compare an 8-year-old who has been skating since she was 2 and taking lessons since she was 4 with an 8-year-old who's only been skating for a few months. It will be more meaningful to compare the former with a 12-year-old who started skating at 8.