Met Another Champion Skater!! | Golden Skate

Met Another Champion Skater!!

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I went ice skating today & a champion skater was doing a clinic! Her name is Cindy Kaufman & she was a national champion, pairs champion, & on the Olympic team. I was the only one who was skating who wasn't in the clinic & she talked to me! I told her I was happy to meet her-I didn't have a camera & would have maybe asked her for her autograph, but she was giving a private lesson. I was told she'll be at my rink for a little while giving private lessons! She was really nice. That really made my day! :D

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
Cindy Kaufman

They were called the heartbreak kids because everytime they got close to winning a medle they blew it.
Daniel and Little Lulu

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I just remembered another thing: Ron and Cynthia Kaufmann worked on a signature move, where he would be in a sit spin position during a death spiral, and then he would do a full turn where he tried to switch the hand that was holding onto her behind his back as he turned. I remember hearing that they completed this move -- perhaps in practice -- but I think I only saw them ending up in a puddle after attempting it. (Back then, the only competitions for US skaters were Nationals, North Americans, and Worlds.)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Just curious: what time period is this?
The Kauffmans took bronze at 64 nats, silver in 65 and gold 4 times from 1966 to 1969. They also won world bronze 3 years running from 66 to 69. They were 7th at the 64 Olys and 6th in 68. After finishing 4th at 69 worlds, they turned pro.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ice Princess said:
I went ice skating today & a champion skater was doing a clinic! Her name is Cindy Kaufman & she was a national champion, pairs champion, & on the Olympic team. I was the only one who was skating who wasn't in the clinic & she talked to me! I told her I was happy to meet her-I didn't have a camera & would have maybe asked her for her autograph, but she was giving a private lesson. I was told she'll be at my rink for a little while giving private lessons! She was really nice. That really made my day! :D

I'm old enough to remember Cynthia and Ronald Kauffman, the brother/sister team who were the US National pairs champions for several years in the 1960s and skated in the 1964 and 1968 Olympics. They won two bronze World medals but never medaled at the Olympics. Ronald was much taller than his sister, and they used their height difference to perform some interesting variations of spins and other moves. They were wonderful champions, in my opinion, and it's nice to hear that Cynthia is still involved with figure skating. I'm glad to hear you met her and attended her skating clinic. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
The Kauffmans took bronze at 64 nats, silver in 65 and gold 4 times from 1966 to 1969. They also won world bronze 3 years running from 66 to 69. They were 7th at the 64 Olys and 6th in 68. After finishing 4th at 69 worlds, they turned pro.

Thanks, I appreciate your answering my question :)

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
You're welcome for sharing! It was kind of exciting! It's always exciting for me to meet figure skating champions! Yes, thank you for the dates- I was really wondering when she competed also!