Should Sui/Han keep programs for 2018? | Golden Skate

Should Sui/Han keep programs for 2018?

yqs100

On the Ice
Since the two programs of Sui Han only competed twice. The original plan is to keep both programs, but they now have won the world title, should they change programs in the Olympic season?

I will suggest keep the SP

Change the LP... it's a masterpiece but a bit "low profile" for olympics. Would love to see more powerful program matching Sui's character.

What do you think?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
They should get a new Short Program, Blues For Klook isn't something you can do 2 seasons in a row. It has to be surprising.

I'd have them keep the Long, because they didn't skate it perfectly this season and it's exactly the kind of program that creates an inspiring Olympic moment.

andromache

Record Breaker
Both programs are SO GOOD but repeating WGM programs for the Olympics the next season seems lazy, and I think could hurt them. I assume S/M will come out with something new and amazing next season, and if S/H don't, it gives S/M an edge.

yqs100

On the Ice
Both programs are SO GOOD but repeating WGM programs for the Olympics the next season seems lazy, and I think could hurt them. I assume S/M will come out with something new and amazing next season, and if S/H don't, it gives S/M an edge.

Yea agree. As the top tier pair, judge and audience certainly will expect more.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yeah, I think generally it is seen as lazy. I personally never like it, even if I prefer some programs of last year. But everything is better than returning to a program mid-season Like S/S did in the Olympic year. Or Rika did with her Riverdance. Feels so much like defeat. On German TV they said that Aliona and Bruno will go to Florida in a week and start on their new programs, working with Ice dancer John Kerr.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yeah, I think generally it is seen as lazy. I personally never like it, even if I prefer some programs of last year. But everything is better than returning to a program mid-season Like S/S did in the Olympic year. Or Rika did with her Riverdance. Feels so much like defeat. On German TV they said that Aliona and Bruno will go to Florida in a week and start on their new programs, working with Ice dancer John Kerr.

OMG really???? He did J/C's LP which is amazingggg. So I am thrilled about this.

I expect S/H will have Lori programs. Which is totally cool, since the stuff she choreographs for them is sheer genius.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
OMG really???? He did J/C's LP which is amazingggg. So I am thrilled about this.

I expect S/H will have Lori programs. Which is totally cool, since the stuff she choreographs for them is sheer genius.

Yep. They also mentioned something about Christopher Dean, but that might've been my imagination and I don't want to spread false rumours. I think John Kerr was already involved in this seasons programs.

lappo

Final Flight

Feel the same. John Kerr has been amazing with J/C and I really hope to see more from him in the upcoming season. Lori can be really a hit or miss depending on who she works with, but it appears that S/H can inspire her a lot (well it's not hard to believe, seeing how talented they are). So I really hope that both pairs have amazing programs next season (also others, like T/M would benefit a lot of programs more adequate to their talents).

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I am convinced that they'll come out with two new programs.

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
If Lori can come up with Spanish Romance and Blues for Klook year after year, then I hope she comes up with something Olympic worthy as well.

In general, I think it is always a good idea to come up with new programs for a new season. IMO fresh programs and renewed enthusiasm will beat working on myriad incremental improvements to past routines, however successful they might have been.

Eclair

Medalist
Me too. They have skated both programms to perfection, it doesn't have the same magic if they still skated to them next season...
They should definetly get new programs for next season, especially since I think both programms are like yuna's tango 2014 - genius, subtle, but hard to relate to and therefore hard to understand and a little subdued for the olympic casual fans

sarama

Medalist
John Kerr choreographed their dancy SP this season. I am not sure about the FS. Silvia Fontana is listed as their other choreographer on their ISU bio.

I believe John choreographed both programs (maybe with Silvia's​ help) for Aljona and Bruno, but I could be wrong. He talked about it in a TSL interview/recap/something

QuadLoop

Rinkside
I hope they do something new. As much as I loved their programs this season, all the other top teams will most likely be doing new stuff, so the judges might not view repeats as favorably at the OG.

rain

Record Breaker
This year's programs are brilliant and they barely got to skate them. I wouldn't mind seeing them some more. The FS in particular I think still had room to grow.

That said, they did win worlds with them, so it's a risk if they look like they're stagnating. I just worry that new programs wouldn't be as magical. I'm glad this is a decision that I don't have to make.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I too love their last and this ended (almost, WTT!) season programs but as long as they have a heavy competition with Aliona & Bruno (they have amazing choreo too) and others who may come with some amazing new staff- they need to change their programs. Maybe keep BoTW as their EX.