Which country has the best national anthem? | Golden Skate

Which country has the best national anthem?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've played both "O Canada" and "The Star Spangled Banner" National bias aside I prefer the US anthem... mostly because it had a better baseline LOL

but of the *other* anthems I like O Canada... Russia has a nice one though...

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I can't give a definitive answer yet because I haven't heard them all. But, I will tell you that it isn't Australia's.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am Canadian, but I think Finland has the best anthem of all - Finlandia - a classical piece of music by Sibelius.

I also prefer God Save the Queen and The Maple Leaf Forever to Oh Canada.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love "O, Canada." I really like the melodies to the Russian & Australian national anthems too.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
France has a wonderful one - Le Marseilles. I also like the Greek national anthem - as long as they keep it to one verse.

Japan's just doesn't work for a sporting event.

I like any anthem where the people stand up and sing along.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Does Germany still use "Deutschland uber alles"? (just a question- not starting a politcal battle here)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
phoenixflamezzz said:
I've always like the Russian national anthem.
I've always hated it -- it's just so dark and overpowering. I was happy when Yeltsin changed it to Glinka's music (though they never got around to actually writing words to it), and couldn't believe it when Putin changed it back to the old music, albeit with new words.

Israily anthem always touches me deeply, though it is not too well suited for sports events either.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I've always thought "O Canada" is truly magnificent; IMHO it's what an anthem should sound like. Majestic and soaring.

"Star Spangled Banner", from a purely musical perspective, is too all over the place and nearly impossible to sing, thus lending itself to some truly hideous hair-perming renditions.....

The only thing I can recall about the Russian anthem is that it is VERY LONG. I remember when Plushy won the Worlds in 01 and the anthem went on for so long that after a while there were people in the stands who were literally laughing because it just didn't seem to stop..... :\

bronxgirl

Medalist
The melody for the Star Spangled Banner is actually from a British drinking song "Anachraon (sp) in Heaven" - which is why nobody who is sober can actually sing it :D

Antilles

Medalist
I like the Star Spangled Banner when it's sung by someone who's qualified to sing it. I also like the Marseillaise.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I love the French anthem........isn't the Australian anthem "Waltzing Matilda?" 42

C'mon guys - when you hear Alons enfants de la Patrie, you know you get all stirred up. The French have the best.

Joe

SugarCoated

Rinkside
hands down the greek national anthem

if you knew what all of the words meant youd cry, it's really touching about the prospect of liberty (elefteria is the greek word for liberty)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Greek National Anthem
and
History of the Greek Flag

History of the Greek Flag

The number of the lines is based on the number of the syllables in the Greek phrase: Eleutheria H Thanatos (Freedom or Death). Freedom or Death was the motto during the years of the Hellenic Revolution against the Ottoman Empire in the 19nth century [There are claims that the number of lines reflects the number of letters in the Greek word for Freedom which equals 9]. This word stirred the heart of the oppressed Greeks, it created intense emotions and inspired them to fight and gain their freedom after 400 years of slavery. The line pattern was chosen because of their similarity with the wavy sea that surrounds the shores of Greece.

The interchange of blue and white colours makes the Hellenic Flag on a windy day to look like the Aegean Pelagos. Only the quaint islands are missing! The Greek Square Cross that rests on the upper left-side of the flag and occupies one fourth of the total area demonstrates the respect and the devotion the Greek people have for the Greek Orthodox Church and signifies the important role of Christianity in the formation of the modern Hellenic Nation.

During the dark years of the Ottoman rule, the Greek Orthodox Church helped the enslaved Greeks to retain their cultural characteristics: the Greek language, the Byzantine religion and generally the Greek ethnic identity, by the institution of the Crypha Scholia (hidden schools). The Crypha Scholia were a web of schools that operated secretly throughout Greece and were committed in transmitting to the Greeks the wonders of their ancestors and the rest of their cultural heritage. Today, Christianity is still the dominant religion among Greeks. Therefore the existence of the Cross is justified.

Blue and White! These two colours symbolise the blue of the Greek Sea and the Whiteness of the restless Greeks waves! According to the mythic legends, the Goddess of Beauty, Aphrodite emerged from these waves. In addition, it reflects the blue of the Greek Sky and the White of the few clouds.

The Greek National Anthem
English Translation

We knew thee of old,
Oh, divinely restored,
By the lights of thine eyes,
And the light of thy Sword,
From the graves of our slain,
Shall thy valour prevail,
As we greet thee again-
Hail, Liberty! Hail!
(repeat previous two lines three times)

Lyrics: --Dionysios Solomos, 1824
Music: Nikolaos Mantzaros, 1828
Adopted: 1864

Wow, that's stirring! Thanks, Piel.

Does Germany still use "Deutschland uber alles"? (just a question- not starting a politcal battle here) -- Bronxgirl
Sort of. I just found out -- isn't Google a grand invention?! -- these facts.

The real name of Deutschland Uber Alles is Das Lied von Deautschen (the song of the German people). "Deutschland, Deutchland uber alles" (Germany above all) is the first line of the first verse. Originally these words did not refer to Germany trying to conquer Europe or proclaiming its superiority to everyone else. Rather, it was a unification theme urging people to regard themselves as one nation (this is back in the 1840s) instead of Bavarians, Prussians, etc.

After World War II this song was banned by the allies, but it was reinstated later. When East and West Germany were uinited they tried to combine the two national anthems into one. But they discovered they didn't have to, because they could both be sung to the same tune. (The tune is Haydn's string concerto opus 76, no. 3. BTW, if you want to start a real fight, forget Nancy versus Oksana. What is the all-time greatest string quartet, Haydn's Op. 76 no. 4 or his Op. 76 no. 5? And why doesn't Michelle ever skate to no. 4, which I have already sent her the CD?)

Anyroad, now the anthem consists only of the third verse. The first verse, besides having that "Uber Alles" that might bring back bad memories and misunderstandings, it has a kind of "sea to shining sea" line, where it says hurray for Germany from Belgium to the Czech Republic, from Poland to the Rhein, or something like that.

"Unity and Rights and Freedom
For the German Fatherland
Let us all strive for that
Brotherly with heart and hand
Unity and Rights and Freedom
Are the foundation for happiness
Bloom in the glow of happiness
Bloom German Fatherland"

show 42 said:
I love the French anthem........isn't the Australian anthem "Waltzing Matilda?" 42
You can hear the rousing Australian National Anthem ("Advance Australian Fair" -- I'm hating it already, LOL.) HERE

I just learned that this was adopted only in 1984. For most of the time previous to that, Australia was a British Commonwealth and it's official anthem was God Save the Queen. But at sporting events like the Olympics they played instead the Australian National Folksong, Waltzing Matilda.

MM

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks Mathman........I love "Waltzing Matilda" (I guess that dates me a bit)....42