Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which country has the best national anthem?

Wow, that's stirring! Thanks, Piel.

Does Germany still use "Deutschland uber alles"? (just a question- not starting a politcal battle here) -- Bronxgirl
    Sort of. I just found out -- isn't Google a grand invention?! -- these facts.

The real name of Deutschland Uber Alles is Das Lied von Deautschen (the song of the German people). "Deutschland, Deutchland uber alles" (Germany above all) is the first line of the first verse. Originally these words did not refer to Germany trying to conquer Europe or proclaiming its superiority to everyone else. Rather, it was a unification theme urging people to regard themselves as one nation (this is back in the 1840s) instead of Bavarians, Prussians, etc.

After World War II this song was banned by the allies, but it was reinstated later. When East and West Germany were uinited they tried to combine the two national anthems into one. But they discovered they didn't have to, because they could both be sung to the same tune. (The tune is Haydn's string concerto opus 76, no. 3. BTW, if you want to start a real fight, forget Nancy versus Oksana. What is the all-time greatest string quartet, Haydn's Op. 76 no. 4 or his Op. 76 no. 5? And why doesn't Michelle ever skate to no. 4, which I have already sent her the CD?)

Anyroad, now the anthem consists only of the third verse. The first verse, besides having that "Uber Alles" that might bring back bad memories and misunderstandings, it has a kind of "sea to shining sea" line, where it says hurray for Germany from Belgium to the Czech Republic, from Poland to the Rhein, or something like that.

"Unity and Rights and Freedom
    For the German Fatherland
    Let us all strive for that
    Brotherly with heart and hand
    Unity and Rights and Freedom
    Are the foundation for happiness
    Bloom in the glow of happiness
    Bloom German Fatherland"

Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    I love the French anthem........isn't the Australian anthem "Waltzing Matilda?" 42
    You can hear the rousing Australian National Anthem ("Advance Australian Fair" -- I'm hating it already, LOL.) HERE

I just learned that this was adopted only in 1984. For most of the time previous to that, Australia was a British Commonwealth and it's official anthem was God Save the Queen. But at sporting events like the Olympics they played instead the Australian National Folksong, Waltzing Matilda.

MM

Custom Title
    musically my vote goes to France, emotionally to USA

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Mathman,
    Thanks for the info (as always ! )

Thanks Mathman........I love "Waltzing Matilda" (I guess that dates me a bit)....42

Rogue Leader
    I agree Google is amazing, and selling rather well these days.

I also forgot about The Scottish anthem. While they do fall under the British anthem of God Save the Queen, they also have "The Flower of Scotland". It's very nice.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the words to the Greek National Anthem. I thought it had something like 73 verses.

I never liked the Russian National Anthem until I saw Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze sing it on the medals stand. I understand that sometimes the athletes are struck with emotion but if they possibly can, I want them all to sing at the top of their lungs - on key or not.

How about "Scotland the Brave" not official but has everything an anthem needs plus it's fun to sing. Here's a link for lyrics and to listen.

http://www.basecamp.cnchost.com/scotsong.htm

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    MM, thanx for the German history lesson, couldn't have explained it better.

Anyway, don't like the German anthem that much, it's kinda lame and zzzzzzz. I just LOVE those from Italy and France, because they're "swinging", fighting and passionate!!! Brazil's not bad either, since soccer fans have heard them on and on!

Anke

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    I'm American, but I love "God Save the Queen." Gets me all choked up and stuff. I'm meant to British, I'm telling you. :D

I also like the Russian National Anthem. I never really noticed it being overly long, but maybe that's because at Bofrost and Worlds (DC), I was too busy ogling Evgeni on the medal stand.

Laura

Argentinian wonder ;)
    The French anthem is the best. for me.

Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    Thanks Mathman........I love "Waltzing Matilda" (I guess that dates me a bit)....42
    Hey Show - Check out the movie 'Interrupted Melody' with Eleanor Parker playing that great Australian diva. The sound track included Don't Sit under the Apple Tree', Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and,of course, Waltzing Matilde all sung by Eileen Farrell. The operat tunes are also great. Very warm movie and a good rendition of 'Matilde'.

Joe

Custom Title
    I like the Japanise anthem.it's good.

On the Ice
    I've always like the German anthem.

"You can hear the rousing Australian National Anthem ("Advance Australian Fair" -- I'm hating it already, LOL.) HERE

I just learned that this was adopted only in 1984. For most of the time previous to that, Australia was a British Commonwealth and it's official anthem was God Save the Queen. But at sporting events like the Olympics they played instead the Australian National Folksong, Waltzing Matilda."

Mathman, I agree with your opinion of AAF and I'm an Aussie - it's a total clunker, however, it has been the Australian anthem for many, many years, just that Australia, until recently suffering from a "cultural cringe" and a total inferiority complex /a$$kisser mentality when it comes to the "Mother Country", kept using God Save the Queen forever. When I went to school, we still sung GSTQ at morning assembly and in fact, I didn't know AAF was the national anthem (or the words to it, can you believe!) until the Govt of the day started to promote it in the early 80s.

G'day!

I always wonder how many American children who reverently sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" know that this is really God Save the Queen, LOL.

Mathman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast