Diving Commentary | Golden Skate

Diving Commentary

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Was I the only one who thought that Cynthia Potter (the woman who's commentating the diving) was channelling Dick Button? Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick. Quibble, quibble, quibble. Carp, carp, carp. And talk about NOT SHUTTING UP.

I will say that Ms. Potter, a former Olympic diving medallist, is extremely knowledgeable about the sport, and I've learned a lot about what to look for due to her commentary over the years (I remember her from the '84 Olys). Also, the overall quality of the diving based on that criteria was not especially good last night. But for heaven's sake, enough with the nitpicking, every dive, every diver, already!!

I also noticed that she has a tendency to do what Uncle Dick does -- pick one particular phrase and have that be her tangent for the evening. (Some nights Dick seems to be on about "point of view" [whatever THAT is] and other nights "point of view" doesn't even come up, it's another catchphrase that gets repeated every program.) Last night Ms. Potter was very much into "reference points", I wonder if that will be her Tangent du jour tonight, or if she'll be on to something else. This is assuming I don't put the TV on mute after about 3 minutes of this.... :sheesh: :sheesh: :sheesh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I enjoy the commentary. Without it I would have no idea how the sport is being judged. Piel's criteria for a successful dive..............
-make it off of the platform/board without any body parts hitting
-enter water without making a tidal wave, judges should remain dry
-avoid hitting head on bottom of pool
-surface and return to deck without needing CPR :D ;) :p

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
She's actually channeling Scott Hamilton, with that high-pitched, whiney excited scream of hers. If she could CALM DOWN and make the exact same commentary, I'd be fine with that. I don't mind the nitpicking at all--that's how the only way I learn how to differentiate between close scoring dives.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
She definitely is a mixture of Dick Button and Scott Hamilton. But, she does point out some interesting things. I would never in a million years have noticed that one of the Chinese girls had flat feet in her tuck positions, lol! At any rate, I think she could do with a little less chat...but overall she does keep me aware of what is going on in a sport I know every little about.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
She's actually channeling Scott Hamilton, with that high-pitched, whiney excited scream of hers. If she could CALM DOWN and make the exact same commentary, I'd be fine with that.

You know -- good point. I think that IS a huge problem right there. :laugh: