Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

2 Not allowed!

Bona Fide Member

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marin View Post
    Kulik won with watered down content and the list goes on....
    I don´t believe that Kulik´s 1998 freeskate was watered down in any way and he had new programs for the Olympic season. Kulik was the first to skate in the final group and he had to go all out.... He skated his whole content and did it faultlessly.

Yagudin on the other hand left out his second triple axel in 2002 freeskate, IIRC.
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-29-2017 at 11:45 AM.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I don´t believe that Kulik´s 1998 freeskate was watered down in any way and he had new programs for the Olympic season. Kulik was the first to skate in the final group and he had to go all out.... He skated his whole content and did it faultlessly.

Yagudin on the other hand left out his second triple axel in 2002 freeskate, IIRC.
    True , I made a mistake in a hurry ... thanks for correcting.

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    Kavita Lorenz /Joti Polizoakis SD:

Salsa: Aguanile by Marc Anthony
    Rhumba: Mil Pasos by Soha ( Kizomba Remix)
    Salsa: Quimbara by Celia Cruz

Source: https://www.facebook.com/54086257597...type=3&theater

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RemyRose; 05-29-2017 at 02:20 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Andrei Lazukin SP Flamenco by Misha Ge
    LP Classical (rumored to be Masquerade)
    https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1051705196.html

0 Not allowed!
    Tuktamysheva on her programs:
    - Who chose the music for the programs?

Elizaveta: The coaches know me very well, and I like what they offer. So it was this time. One tango, in a modern style, for a short program was offered by Tatyana Nikolaevna. Another, classical, for the arbitrary found Aleksei Nikolaevich. But when we started to put the random one, I decided to mix everything, and as a result I got a rich, varied and interesting program.

And with the music for a short program there was such a story. At first there was one option, but I did not particularly like it, because both short and arbitrary were similar in style. I wanted to take some French melody. And one evening Alexey Nikolayevich threw off the music, asked me to listen, and there exactly what I wanted. I immediately said: "You are directly reading my thoughts." And literally the day we put the program, and then during the collection over it worked.
    https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1051703017.html
    Choreograper Adam Solya
    Small clip of one of her programs (music: Mala Luna?) http://radikal.ru/video/nkoXHAuROxu
    Last edited by RemyRose; 05-29-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Tripping on the Podium SnowWhite's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    From the Canadian Skating thread:

Nicolas Nadeau is getting his SP choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne again this year: https://www.facebook.com/FAEQuebec/v...8351035526160/

Seguin and Bilodeau LP is Where's My Love (SYML) with choreo by David Wilson and Marie-France Dubreuil: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUkP139lm81/

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post

Kulik watered down the transitions.

Rinkside

13 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    To me it feels disrespectful to the audience to use the same (very recent) program for three seasons, especially for a skater of Hanyu's stature. As one of the sport's greats with the largest fanbase in modern history of the sport, there should be a responsibility to create new works of performance art, new experiences for the audience, and thus raise the sport to new heights, both technically and artistically. It used to be that the judges looked down on recycled programs, but now that it doesn't seem to matter in PCS, it's as if he's saying "screw the inconvenience of learning new choreo, let me just focus on not popping the 4L." If that's the case, we may as well just judge the Olympics a la Tom Z's jump competition. And for all his media/sponsor obligations, I find it hard to believe that a single one would drop him or be anything less than understanding if he had to take proper time to prepare for the OLYMPIC season with new programs. I'm sorry, but for such a talented skater with all the tools and resources in the world at his disposal, this is just lazy.
    The audience don't give athletes medals. That pretty much I know.

As a judge at piano competition before, we never give pianists lower than they deserve just because they perform Rachmaninov piano concerto No. 2 for the 1000th times. That is not disrespectful. To perfect their skills before the audience and make it the best they can do is very respectful.
    Last edited by Ender; 05-29-2017 at 04:45 PM.

On the Ice

13 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    To me it feels disrespectful to the audience to use the same (very recent) program for three seasons, especially for a skater of Hanyu's stature. As one of the sport's greats with the largest fanbase in modern history of the sport, there should be a responsibility to create new works of performance art, new experiences for the audience, and thus raise the sport to new heights, both technically and artistically. It used to be that the judges looked down on recycled programs, but now that it doesn't seem to matter in PCS, it's as if he's saying "screw the inconvenience of learning new choreo, let me just focus on not popping the 4L." If that's the case, we may as well just judge the Olympics a la Tom Z's jump competition. And for all his media/sponsor obligations, I find it hard to believe that a single one would drop him or be anything less than understanding if he had to take proper time to prepare for the OLYMPIC season with new programs. I'm sorry, but for such a talented skater with all the tools and resources in the world at his disposal, this is just lazy.
    Completely disagree with that point.

I'm disappointed and annoyed at the top men recycling old programs, especially in Yuzuru's case, but Yuzuru does not owe the audience anything of what you're asking, and that actually goes for any skater. It would be very nice for all the top men and their teams to come up with new programs that raise the bar both technically and artistically, but that's a tall order, and they don't have to accept it.

These are athletes chasing the Olympics, and while I might disagree and roll my eyes at their decisions for next season, they should ultimately be competing for themselves and doing what they think will best help them achieve their goals. Whether that aligns with the wants/desires/expectations of the audience is irrelevant. We are just spectators, and at the end of the day, these are their dreams.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by friedbanana View Post
    Completely disagree with that point.

I'm disappointed and annoyed at the top men recycling old programs, especially in Yuzuru's case, but Yuzuru does not owe the audience anything of what you're asking, and that actually goes for any skater. It would be very nice for all the top men and their teams to come up with new programs that raise the bar both technically and artistically, but that's a tall order, and they don't have to accept it.

These are athletes chasing the Olympics, and while I might disagree and roll my eyes at their decisions for next season, they should ultimately be competing for themselves and doing what they think will best help them achieve their goals. Whether that aligns with the wants/desires/expectations of the audience is irrelevant. We are just spectators, and at the end of the day, these are their dreams.
    We, as audience, don't pay for the athletes' training. So I don't get how we can demand the athletes to perform as we want. I agree with you. It's their dreams and their lives, they do not own us anything.

Audience pay money to go to our concerts, yet as musicianswe still have the choice to perform which music pieces we want.

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Waiting for the Ice dance teams to save us from these predictable choices.

I'm 101% sure the exhibition are going to be awesome for pretty much everyone though.

On the Ice

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marin View Post
    His reasoning is right, it's olys everyone goes for the safest way to maximize scores, it's not wise risking with hard layouts in both programs. He's aiming for the highest GOEs he can get, he'll do it with the sp that scored the highest in FS history, with a little upgrade on BV. He knows that if he manages to bring that content with that program he's untouchable And he's also right when he says his 4T gives him the same "quality vibes" of his 3A which is constantly on the edge of getting +3 across the board (it should get it by default anyways) How many other skaters can count on that quality of execution on such jumps?
    He doesn't need to "aim" for high GOEs. The judges consistently give him and Fernandez mostly +3s for just *landing* their quads. Take a look at Hanyu's 4Lo for instance. Whenever he lands it, it's usually slightly off-kilter and probably worth a +1, but the judges give him +2 and +3 just for staying on one foot. Similar treatment happens for Chen. The judges need to realize that the skaters are already being rewarded for the difficulty of the element via its *base value* and they should reserve +2/+3 GOE for elements that truly merit them in order to differentiate the skaters. One of these days soon, the men's judges are gonna find themselves in a pickle if Fernandez, Hanyu, etc. all skate clean and they give them all the automatic +2/+3 GOEs and 9.75/10.00 PCS that they're used to giving out at major championships and you end up with an absurd or indefensible result with a virtual tie that could have gone either way

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Kulik watered down the transitions.
    I still will never understand the scores that program got, especially given where he skated in the group (and given what happened to Michelle in a similar situation!). But that's off topic!

Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast