Thread: The program where Oksana Baiul met father

The program where Oksana Baiul met father

Hi everyone!
    I remember hearing there was going to be a program on one of the US news specials where Oksana Baiul met her father for the first time. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it. Did anyone see the program? If so, what was it like? Was it happy or.....'too little, too late'?

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by reverie81
    Hi everyone!
    I remember hearing there was going to be a program on one of the US news specials where Oksana Baiul met her father for the first time. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it. Did anyone see the program? If so, what was it like? Was it happy or.....'too little, too late'?
    Now, that's one program I will definitely not watch. Far be it from me to judge, but any man who abandons his family and them pops up decades or so later, especially when the child he abandoned is world famous, is, well, probably only
    "recognizing" his child so that he can reap some financial benefits. Maybe I'm being an old grouch to adhere to this view, but that's how I feel about it.

I remember viewing an interview Nicole Bobek gave about a decade ago, in which she spoke of what might happen if her own father - who deserted her mother and her when she was a baby - suddenly appeared at their doorstep. Nicole said, (to paraphrase) "I would say, Oh no, you don't. You deserted us when we needed you. We don't need or want you now."

More than anything, Im just curious to know Oksana's reaction. I wouldnt blame her if there were hard feelings, but her father's whereabouts were so shady for so long, I'd just be curious to know what happened to him, and how he found out that the baby he had abandoned became an olympic champion. I hope she didnt agree to give him any financial help- dead beat dads definately dont deserve it. I just wondered what the reaction of the meeting after all those years was like

Tripping on the Podium Jennifer Lyon's Avatar
    I don't remember all the details, but they showed Oksana and her father hugging each other and crying. I also recall some footage of them looking at old family photographs. Oksana also met her paternal grandmother during her visit.

I think it's important to note that Oksana was the one who went looking for her father. It wasn't a case of Dad turning up on his long-lost, world famous daughter's doorstep. He also doesn't strike me as someone who is after Oksana's money. If that were the case, wouldn't he have tried to gain custody of Oksana (and control over her earnings) when she was 15 or 16?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reverie81
    Hi everyone!
    I do recall seeing it and it was quite touching. I think it is important for all of us to connect to our parents or families. I think it helped Oksana on her road to recovery. I applaud her for taking the risk.

On a similar note, there was an article recently about Yagudin's paternal grandfather. Aparently, he had a brief affair with a nurse when he was getting over a WWII injury, impregnated her, and basically never saw her again. Of course, the nurse gave birth to the boy who became Yagudin's father; in turn, he abandoned his own son and wife when Alexei was just a baby. When Yagudin's grandfather found out how famous his grandson has become, he tried soliciting money from him. Alexei refused, which I can very well understand, though some media made an anti-Yagudin issue out of it.

Custom Title
    Also, I don't know if we know the true whole story behind Oksana's father leaving..

I seen the program and thought it was so emotional. It was obvious she wanted him... She was the one sending people to look for him. She wants him to be in her wedding.. She said, she does not care how but she wants him to be there to give her away