2002/03 Strategy - Elena Sokolova | Golden Skate

2002/03 Strategy - Elena Sokolova

J

Joesitz

2002/03 Strategy - Elena Sokolova

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>From my Perspective Only</strong></span>:

1. Came out after a 5 year absence and went back to her original coach;

2. Looked promising in GP and happy to be back.

3. Must have worked on 3/3s which were unquestionably solid and with solid spins she looked like a potential medalist; Nothing special in the way of choreography but a perfect skate at Worlds.

4. <em>Result</em>: The strategy is working.

5. <span style="text-decoration:underline"><em>Future</em></span> Needs more basic flow and speed, and definitelya choreographer.

Any comments?

Joe

D

dizzydi7

Re: 2002/03 Strategy - Elena Sokolova

Joesitz,

I agree. Her main strategy should be to improve her presentation which is sorely lacking, in my opinion. Her skating does not flow, her positions are not attractive on many of her moves and she is disconnected to the music. She is an awesome jumper, though and a very attractive young lady, which never hurts.

Dizzy

P

Ptichka

I think she needs a choreographer rather than some new skills. I was amazed at Elena's exhibition piece. I actually did not like it too much, but I thought she did very well in expressing the music. A HUGE artistic improvement over her competitive pieces. Next season, her team should just work harder to incorporate those qualities into her regualar programs.

N

nysk8r

You forgot the main part of the strategy- get hit on the head with a piece of luggage which results in an epiphany :lol:

R

RED DOG45

Huh?? What's all this about getting hit on the head with luggage??

N

nysk8r

During his commentary, Dick Button said how Elena Sokolova was ready to give up skating when one day she was on a plane and a piece of luggage hit her on the head. Just then, she had an epiphany and realized that she loved to skate and decided not to give up.
.....Of course, there is a slight chance that Dickie made this up or exaggerated it, but I think it's true. :D

L

Ladskater

This girl is definitely on the way. She does need some better choreograpy. I did not care for her exhibition program. Her jumping abilities are great. I am sure the rest will come with time. Considering she took a break from skating - not a bad debut!

Ladskater

M

mpal2

Actually, she didn't take a break from skating. She just couldn't get out of Russian Nationals.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Elena ...

From whatever I read from the web regarding her. I think she is really talent skater. She had not been working hard enough in past a few years, just like so many other talented one, that's the reason she did not break through Rusia National after 98 season. That's also the reason Mishine show her to door. The airplane luggage accident last summer waked her loving of skating, she trained hard thus rewarded this season. All she needs now is improving the stroking, spiral, better choreo.

E

Excidra2001

Re: Elena ...

1- Needs a choreographer who can bring out her artistic abilities. I think a well known north-American choreographer would do her justice.

2-Needs to work on her basic skating. Her edging is not at the level of a world champion. Her jumping will only get her so far. Her coach should pay attention to her flow,edging,speed.

3-Spirals. It's her weakest element and she didn't try to hide it at the world championships. She is on flats through out her so called spiral sequence and I don't even think she meets the ISU requirements on the spirals. Her free leg doesn't look like it's above her hip.

She is a great skater and one of the brighest new stars from Russia. Even though Irina is the most decorated Russian female skater, I think Elena has a shot at beating her record.

mzheng

Record Breaker

Well she may beat Irina's Russian National record. But weren't beat Irina's International's record.

How many Euro title Irina has? And how many World medal Irina has? It took Irina how many years to collect them? at least 4 to 5 years. When Irina basically competed only with Kwan and Maria B. While Elena now faces a much tougher Euro (Sokolova, Sebstine, etc.) fields and World (Japanese girls and US girls) fields.

E

Excidra2001

It must be the cold med, because I can't believe I said Elena has a shot at beating Irina's national and international record.
I don't even think Elena can beat Irina's national record let alone the accomplishments she has achieved internationally.

Edited to add: Irina holds five European titles and will go for six next season which will put her in a tie with Henie and Kitt as females with most European wins. Irina has 5 world medals. The 90s and beyond, Kwan is the only female skater who has more world medals than Irina.

J

Joesitz

Excidra - Despite the difficulty of ES getting more medals than IS, ES is still a vaild contender for winning Russian Nats, Europeans and Worlds. We know what she needs. I'm sure she does too. Will it happen?

All these aging European skaters have to watch the improvements (if any) of Carolina.

Joe