Khorkina..."Wuz Robbed" ??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Khorkina..."Wuz Robbed" ???

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I thought Svetlana got a huge gift to be second. I honestly think the judges tried their level best to give it to her but Carly was too much better to be denied. I'm not a huge fan of Carly Patterson's style but the girl deserved the gold, no ifs ands or buts about it.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Piel said:
She has won another title........... :D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3298669/

I know that exaggeration is the basis for this kind of humor, but it would have been nice if they had had their facts in perspective -- Khorkina "blew" a vault in Sydney because the vaulting table was not the right height and as a result of a set-up error was robbed -- and their facts right -- Peirsol did not lose to Kitajima in the 100 meter breaststroke; Hansen did. (Peirsol swims backstroke.)

Who is writing this stuff? The same people who butcher figure skating?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am not saying that Svetlana's statements are justified, but is it me or is the media spending way too much time on this? Somehow, I don't see other athletes in a similar position getting that kind of coverage over their remarks...

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
I am not saying that Svetlana's statements are justified, but is it me or is the media spending way too much time on this? Somehow, I don't see other athletes in a similar position getting that kind of coverage over their remarks...
Maybe she's this year's Nancy Kerrigan?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I don't remember another athlete b******* this much about the results of a competition. If she's going to put it out there than she needs to be ready to take what comes back to her, IMO.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am not saying the media is overly harsh, I am just saying it got its priority all mixed up. I mean, this morning I open up CNN, and Khorkina's statements are one of the top two stories there! I'd think CNN would find something a bit more interesting to talk about in the Olympics.

I think it's a Man-Bites-Dog thing, Ptichka.

Figure skater says, I just tried to skate my best. Not news.

Figure skater says, I skated circles around that homely little witch, and the stupid judges gave her the medal anyway!

That's news, I guess.:laugh:

Mathman

Antilles

Medalist
I think she's well known for her antics, so the media knows she'll probably say something to make headlines. Didn't the NBC announcers say at Worlds last year, that Patterson went to congratulate Khorkina, and the only thing Khorkina did was show off her latest magazine photos? Who brings their photo layouts to their gymnastics event?

I felt bad for her in Sydney, but I found it rather hard to cheer for her here. I don't think medals should ever be awarded for sympathy. If that were the case, why bother training at all? Just come up with the best hard-luck story of the night.

Vash01

Medalist
It was rather painful to look at Svetlana's emaciated body. It no longer had the grace of the last Olympics. I cheered for her simply for being the old lady at age 25 in a field of teenagers. I cheered for Mohini for the same reason. I don't believe her scores were inflated. What made her stay close to the top was that she did not have a major mistake like the Chinese girls and a few others. Her marks were quite low on balance beam (9.4) and floor (9.5) in the all around. However, so many gymnasts had problems in both the womens and mens field that we saw less than stellar performances medal. In Olympics of the past one had to be close to perfect just to medal. I don't think Svetlana has anything to complain about. She was not as good as she has been in the past. She should be proud that she won the silver when the age was against her.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
MOSCOW - Russia’s Svetlana Khorkina, who was second to American Carly Patterson in the women’s all-round gymnastics competition, has accused the judges of robbing her of the gold medal and said “everything was decided in advance.”

The only thing that was decided in advance was Khorkina's bad attitude. It is one thing to be a so called "diva"....it is a completely different issue to come to something like the Olympics and act like she did. I was actually wanting her to complete her medal collection,but after seeing her act like she did and reading her comments afterward, I think that she should just go away.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Glacierskater said:
MOSCOW - Russia’s Svetlana Khorkina, who was second to American Carly Patterson in the women’s all-round gymnastics competition, has accused the judges of robbing her of the gold medal and said “everything was decided in advance.”

The only thing that was decided in advance was Khorkina's bad attitude. ... I think that she should just go away.

AMEN! I think you mean she should SLINK away, back to the hole from which she slithered.

Seriously, I feel sorry for her. She has got to be one of the most unhappy, miserable people I've ever seen at Olympic competition. Instead of being remembered as one of the greats, she'll now be remembered as one of the great CRYBABIES. She need to a) EAT SOMETHING; and b) get some counselling to help her deal with her obviously deep-rooted problems.
:\ :sheesh: :rolleye:

About "everything being decided in advance," Alexei Nemov concurs:

"When the meet was over, after Hamm and Cassina pushed him down to fifth, Nemov said he deserved at least a bronze.

"'It was a little unfair," he said. "Everything is already decided before. Maybe just a small mistake and that gives them the opening to put me down. That's not right.'"

These Olympics have been a disaster for the sport of gymnastics. I wonder if the IOC will punish them in some way -- like kicking the sport out of the 2010 games, or putting them on probation or something.

Mathman

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's funny how so many eastern bloc skaters benefitted from bloc judging over the years, yet when things don't go the Russians' way, they're the first in line to scream "FOUL!"

Just an observation.

euterpe

Medalist
The IOC will never do away with gymnastics or figure skating, because these are the marquee events of the summer and winter Olympics.

The Russian federation has been using that "decided in advance" line for a while now. Valentin Piseev said before the '02 Winter Olympics that the Russian ladies wouldn't win in FS because the event was in the US. Slutskaya herself spoke bitterly afterwards of being robbed of "her" gold medal.

For years, Olympic ice dancing and pairs had been won only by Russians and from the cheating scandals it seemed the Eastern bloc judges were committed to keeping that status quo.

With the breakup of the Soviet Union and the exodus of Russian coaches to other countries, Russian hegemony in sports began to be eroded. But athletes trained under the Soviet system still feel a sense of entitlement, so the result is whining.

Jill

On the Ice
Khorkina is a has been, but Pavlova really shined! And Elena Zam.... is such a pretty girl! I know she's been around for awhile, but I hope they both stick around!

In the meantime, HEY, KHORKINA, 2 words, GROW UP!!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hmmm... I wouldn't call a 2nd place AA Olympian a "has been". Any more than the Dortmund bronze makes Michelle a "has been".

Jill

On the Ice
Yes, she has her various medals. Yes, she will return home, take off her clothes and pose, and probably make a few thousand Euros for her efforts. Then what?
Perhaps write a book where she can tell everyone how great she is and how she was robbed, and how wonderful she is, and how Carly is no match for her, and how beautiful she is, blah blah blah.

Michelle has class, and that's something Khorkina obviously knows nothing about. That's why she's a has been, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Michelle Kwan. But hey, on the positive side, better to be a has-been than a never was! :laugh:

eliza88

On the Ice
I am a Khorkina fan--of her gymnastics, not her mouth. What happened to her in Sydney was terrible. They should've told her about the vault problems BEFORE she competed on bars. Back to the present--I have enjoyed watching Khorkina all these years and the night of the AA I was rooting for her. She did not perform as well as she could have and Carly (apart from her sub-par vault) was too good that night. A well deserved gold medal for Patterson and a well deserved silver for Khorkina.

I am saddened by all that Khorkina has been quoted saying this week--this tarnishes her phenomenal career. I'd like to remember the good things about her: she has brought both beauty and elegance to the sport as well as longevity. She has been an innovator of many unique moves. She has also given hope to those slightly taller than 5ft that gymnastics can work for them with a bit 'o ingenuity!

eliza88